Bamfield Poett Nook 2014- 2015

Just back from a four day trip to Bamfield. My report includes more of the same. Fishing inside was slow with a ton of small fish. Saturday we fished the wall and and back up to Whitlestone. Trolled up a small halibut and got one good hit that got off. Sunday we started at Effingham with a number of other boats but nothing going on. Move to Swale after a couple of hours and found our first spring around 10 lbs. After putting in a good effort there, we headed out to Turtle Head. Fishing was pretty good out there and we got 5 more springs and a ling. Biggest was mid-teens with most around 10-12lbs. Monday we went offshore again and were rewarded with a 25lb halibut, 3 springs and 2 coho. We were having success with spoons and hoochies. Brown turd was really effective on the bottom offshore. Only thing that didn't work well was bait! All in all it was a great trip with great weather. We did well for fish considering the other reports we were hearing, but we did burn our share of fuel running all over the place to find them. I think the algae bloom has a big effect on the fishing. All of our fish both inshore and offshore were caught in clear water.

I love that place. Can't wait to get back!

anybody hear about a boat going down at beale a few days ago?

I heard it was a 32 fter that rolled on the outside breaker in fog. Didn't get a mayday out but lighthouse keeper saw and coasties pulled them out. That was a third hand report though. Ken did you hear?

I heard it was a 32 fter that rolled on the outside breaker in fog. Didn't get a mayday out but lighthouse keeper saw and coasties pulled them out. That was a third hand report though. Ken did you hear?

A perfect example of why we need to keep our lighthouses from becoming automated

I had the great honor of spending the day at Beale on Coast Guard helicopter trip once on some engineering work I was doing. I simply got stuck in between helicopter runs. They are nice people... I am sure that one is not getting automated they explained they are fairly busy with accidents there.

So whats the word on the west coast latte' has dirty water packed it in and our coast looks normal again? We will be there early next week...

Last edited by a moderator:

Geesh, that's scary. We were fishing there on Tuesday and had no idea. Spooky.

What I've heard.
Was a local boat, about 24ft with 3 people on board, running past the lighthouse inside the reef. They hit a bad wave that rolled the boat over and ejected two people and the operator had a little trouble getting out and got pretty banged up. The lighthouse keeper heard their whistle and called for help. Coast Guard got to them with a hurricane and they will all be fine. It was a rough sloppy swell there that day that made my wife turn around come back home. Although I go there sometimes it's really not worth the risk if it isn't flat calm. The guy running the boat had been there hundreds of times or more but it only takes once to ruin your day.
Thanks for manned lighthouses!

good to hear, i have only run the inside of the breakers in low swell.. still freaks me out!!

and poo has passed.

felix nailed a 36? looking forward to a report!!

that's a good one!

Barkley is back to its usual quality fishery now that the brown water has passed. That stuff really slowed down the fishery, but its on fire again at the usual haunts. Hali fishing has been good all over.

haha

thx Blair , love the long arm shotz :)
thought id put up another shot for ma smartazz Crab Master Googan ,

my biggest early July fish for me im thinkin

yes 36 lbs , caught out at Southbank on friday i think it was , 120 feet in 150 water , glow hooch
Turtle and Anvil was the place to be , was loaded all mornin on friday , 10- 25lbs ,
bonked right in front of Osama lol,
gave him and his crue a close up shot of the secret hole it came from lol..

Fished for 4 days with 2 good buddies , water was brown for the first couple days , didnt affect the fishin much i thought ,
inshore was the same as last , scratchy , one here or 2 there , Swale and Allen Pt produced well for smaller to medium springs between
4-15 lbs , Effingham really improved over the past 2 days it sounds , a little bigger there now to ,
also heard the red can ( Uki ) was loaded with smaller springs on Saturday , talked to friends that fished Rats , Flat-Top , small springs with a few teeners thrown in ,
good hali !!

Crabbing SLOWWWW in the Nook area , man did it get mopped up...

yes the water has really cleaned up well now , spoke to a few still on the water today , inshore is getting much more consistent.

we had a great trip as usual , finally got a few hali as well , thx Blair n Jeff

, stopped by Mills Landing , Holy crap was there alotta fish bein processed , Matt n Jeff had there hands full
glad your doin well Diane n Jerry

stopped in at China Creek on the way in and out , Sockeye fishin for our type is dead still ,
i feel for the guys bookin trips for this specific fishery , so inconsistent , yes Commy boats as far as the eye could see rollin in

gd lk fellas , go get em

a lesser arm shot :)

thought id seen it all , motorcycle doin the Bam gravel rd , pissin monsoon rains ,
a Chemical truck in front of him spreading a liquid down to keep the dust down in the future ,
Nish ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome reports! Thanks for sharing.

We will be in Julia pass for five nights starting Thursday July 17th. Hope the fishing holds up or even gets better. Going to be a long week and 3 days I think.

Spent Saturday/Sunday fishing inside. Mostly Kirby and the inside to top of King Edward. Lots of shakers and a handful of Pollock (weird looking fish -- looks like a toothless Walleye). Nothing huge for us -- largest was an 18. Scratched up a few coho on the outside of King Edward.

Man did it rain yesterday -- all types of rain -- mist, downpour, sideways rain -- I felt like Forrest Gump in the jungle. The rain beat the hell out of the road back to Cowichan and it deteriorated fairly significantly from Friday's drive out. Ruined another tire on my Tacoma (3rd flat in 6 trips) -- time to replace the crappy stock Dunlops -- decided to go with Michelin LTX AT2 as a few guys I know swear by them for lasting on the gravel.

Back