Bamfield Poett Nook 2014- 2015

Ten mile, thought that was you we were fishing beside at Kirby. Jeffywestcoast, my dad and I ended up with 8 springs,3 coho and a hali, largest spring was around 16 lbs

Which boat were you in Alberni? You should have sent Jeffy over for a guitar lesson -- there was time!!!

Both my fishing buddy and I were commenting on the lines of your machine -- cool looking boat -- we were calling you Black Bart -- really like the "no logo" look -- nothing on the hull or engines.

Will be up there on and off over the next few weekends and then solid for the first couple weeks of August. Drop by the dock and say hello -- we are docked right beside the medical centre.

A bit later on Saturday -- we got going about 630 and met my dock neighbour at the harbour mouth already coming back in with his limit from Kirby. On Sunday we were there about 530. I'm in a Bayliner 288 -- command bridge with a blue awning over the cockpit. I noticed another boat very similar to mine around Bamfield as well.

I Knew that was your boat Tenmile.... Gary's dad was just "schoolin me" all day saturday so I probably couldn't take anymore lessons. still managed a few on the chovy...had a great weekend overall.. can't wait to do it again..:cool:

Nice day , July 2nd just out side of Beale , in 200 ft of water anchored for the first time, jigging for Hali`s (look at those white soxs what the hell lol)

Hey albernifisher not to sound rude but great hootchie swap...... I ran the one you gave me Sunday AM outsmarted a few chinook. Good chatting with you, Jeffy and your dad at the Beam I'm out there this weekend from the Ukee side Friday to Monday usually on Ch 06. Adios.

Spent the last week at the Beam from the 5th to the 12th. Fished hard and could only find coho and small springs for the first couple of days. Found a really nice grade of coho on Wednesday, hitting on spoons, splatterback and clown hoochies. The usual haunts of Mears and ship and Kirby. Bait was also working for us in the morning. The wall gave up some nice fish for sure but inconsistent. Offshore was out until Thursday or Friday but was still heavy fog so we stayed in and glad we did, found a very nice school of springs at Kirby, had to suck them outta the rocks on the low tide. Put 6 nice fish in the boat along with the coho, and that was that. Missed another 4 or 5 that morning so had lots of screaming reels.
Fished beside Mike Mitchel and BC Outdoors while they were filming, so that was kinda cool to see, think they only hit coho.
Had my GoPro which we had on for a non stop coho show but forgot the charger so missed the springs.

Lots of great hot weather and a moon going to the full made for some good and tough fishing.

Just have to find the bait, needle fish, opal squid and chovie sized herring, should be great going forward.

Cheers
Get bent

Hey albernifisher not to sound rude but great hootchie swap...... I ran the one you gave me Sunday AM outsmarted a few chinook. Good chatting with you, Jeffy and your dad at the Beam I'm out there this weekend from the Ukee side Friday to Monday usually on Ch 06. Adios.

Yup, the hootchie swap worked for us too. We landed a couple on the one you gave us

Area 23 / 123 Chinook / Coho 2014 Changes
Try to get this right , the notices and maps should be out tmw , July 15 2014

Coho area 23 , Barkley Sound ,Surfline and Inshore
from Cape Beale to Miller Rk to Amphitrite lighthouse

as of right now , we as sporty's are allowed 4 Coho /day , marked OR ummarked in area 23 ...
outside that area , 123 , it is currently 2 coho/day , which one may be umarked (wild)

as of Sept 1 /2014 , the inside , area 23 remains unchanged, BUT , area 123 offshore , the daily limit is now 4 ,
which one can be marked ( wild ) map should be out very soon , maybe tmrw !!

Chiinook area 23 /123

here is the map , very similar to the coho boundary , but , 1 more mile seaward , ( further out, offshore )

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/23-ch-eng.pdf

currently , it is 2 per day , as usual , BUT , as of August 1 , Barkley Sound changes to the slot size again , HOWEVER ,
we are now allowed 1 over 77 cm and one under daily, the boundary is one mile past the surfline !! for Chinook !!!!!
as per the map , portions of the inlet will close as normal , HOWEVER , we will be able to retain 2 Chinook from Port up to the Nahmint narrows appx ,
look at the map pls , it will be the same , one over 77cm , one under , Daily !!

hope i got this right , pls correct me if im wrong , just off the phone with Port DFO

hope this helps , i get asked alot !!

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Area 23 / 123 Chinook / Coho 2014 Changes
Try to get this right , the notices and maps should be out tmw , July 15 2014

Coho area 23 , Barkley Sound ,Surfline and Inshore
from Cape Beale to Miller Rk to Amphitrite lighthouse

as of right now , we as sporty's are allowed 4 Coho /day , marked OR ummarked in area 23
outside that area , 123 , it is currently 2 coho/day , which one may be umarked (wild)

as of Sept 1 /2014 , the inside , area 23 remains unchanged, BUT , area 123 offshore , the daily limit is now 4 ,
which one can be marked ( wild ) map should be out very soon , maybe tmrw !!

Chiinook area 23 /123

here is the map , very similar to the coho boundary , but , 1 more mile seaward , ( further out, offshore )

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/23-ch-eng.pdf

currently , it is 2 per day , as usual , BUT , as of August 1 , Barkley Sound changes to the slot size again , HOWEVER ,
we are now allowed 1 over 77 cm and one under daily, the border is one mile past the surfline !! for Chinook !!!!!
as per the map , portions of the inlet will close as normal , HOWEVER , we will be able to retain 2 Chinook from Port up to the Nahmint narrows appx ,
look at the map pls , it will be the same , one over 77cm , one under , Daily !!

hope i got this right , pls correct me if im wrong , just off the phone with Port DFO

hope this helps , i get asked alot !!

fd

Maximum daily limit for pacific salmon is 4 however -- it's not 4 Coho + 2 Chinook (total possession of 8 salmon).

id like to have faith that most here know that drill
that hasnt changed in years

good point though

yes , the maximum combined species of Pacific Salmon combined ,
in Possession , is a maximum of 8 !!!!! 2 day total...

just wanted ta add , most of you know all this , i posted this for the guys that aren't
out here as much as some of us , or not up to speed ,, hope it helps ya out ,

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it's been 2 coho + 2 chinook for so long (when and where I fish) it actually did initially throw me off. Thanks for posting the update.

We were up in Bamfield last week, and for a change we left our boats at home, and got Rick from Tyee lodge to take us out. We didn't go offshore. Lots of smaller fish around, coho. Got into some teen and 20's fish...So they are coming down. Very addicting area just beautiful...

Also enjoyed seeing some of the BC Tough guys like Kelly dancing on there boat past us...LOL....

Planning on fishing this area way more......in next few months... You guys have it very lucky nice area to fish in. So many more options to fish even if its blowing.

Back