Bamfield Fishing Reports

I just got back back from a week at the Nook. The fishing, for springs, was pretty good. I spent most of my trip fishing Kirby to Edward King. Anchovies at 50-60 feet was the hot ticket. Our fish ranged from 5-25 lbs. The larger fish fought really hard. All of our fish weren't mature fish but feeders. For 5 days of fishing 7 of us went home with our limit of springs. We got out to 5 mile for one day and did OK, but not insane yet. We only got 1 nice hali that day. Some other guys were doing good at 5-7 mile, on Mon. and Tues. We also caught 2 coho, but didn't hear of anybody else getting any. Prawning was kinda slow, with 40 prawns for 2 traps. the fishing has definately picked up. I think the fish are moving through, and if you find them, keep circling with the tide and you'll do well. If I was headed over 507 mile would be your best bet. Guys were headed to 23 mile, but closer in was just as good.

Tight Lines

Coyote Spooner:D

Fished Diplock on Thursday morning. Got an easy limit of feeder Springs on the low slack in the a.m. Bite was fast and furious for about two hours on the tide change. Could hardly keep the lines down. Landed eleven fish in total from 8-12 lbs. All fish came on Coyote Spoons at 70-90'. Cop Car and Nasty Boy in the 4.5" with Green and Red Hot Spot Flashers to match.
Tight Lines and Big Springs.[:p]

How deep do you fish for springs at 5 or 7 mile bank. I think I fished to shallow 40-50 ft. last time I went out there.:D

Try 40-180 next time , if bottoms 200' say.

Remember Fog Ducker, sieners rape, Trollers don't.
Right Nog

Cheers Tortuga , One day I hope to be foregiven , thanks for the report Coyote Spooner, ya did well as usual . I have not been able to get out this last little bit , GETTING MARRIED in a few weeks !![V][V][V][:0][:0][:0] , hope the wife doesn't see this , cheers boys , take care , the Fog Ducker......... thanks to all for keeping this thread alive and well...p.s. What's everyones take on the new dfo regs on our area starting August 1/08 later.......

The Fog Ducker

Tortuga is right about the depth as both the 5 mile and 7 mile banks are roughly 200 feet in depth. We fish between 80 and 100 feet 90% of the time with great success (well at least my buddy SeaWolf). I reserve my strength for the halis at 12 mile.... :D:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Thanks for the info guys:D Has anyone heard recent reports from 5 or 7 mile bank? I will be in Bamfield July 23-28 staying at Sea Beam.

Just heard that 12 mile produced limits trolling near the bottom around 220' for springs and hally the last couple of days,
(as well as rats nose).
Buddy was there for 4 days and didn't see the sun once.
Make sure the gps works.

Well I'm heading up to Bamfield Day after tomorrow 5:15 ferry. Can't wait. Any last minute reports and advice would be great. I will report when I get back.. Good Luck eveyone!!
Steve41[8D]

quote:Originally posted by steve41

How deep do you fish for springs at 5 or 7 mile bank. I think I fished to shallow 40-50 ft. last time I went out there.:D

Bounce your "balls" on the bottom! :)
I have had a LOT of luck doing that, in that area!

Sounds like things are heating up in Bamfield. Had a friend come home with 8 over 20lbs from inside. That sounds very promising. I am planning to be there Aug 10-16th..... should be awesome then!!!:):):):):D:D:D

From what I saw last year and what I'm hearing this year, most of the fish caugh are between the 15-22 Lbs range. Last year the largest fish we caught all year was 21.5 lbs - smallest size we've recored yet and we keep records.
What I'm wondering is there any way to target the larger fish or is it a matter of being in the right spot when the run comes through?
I'm refering to the inside, not the banks.
Do the larger ones go for something other than what we put down typically (white hoochie, cop car, coyote, anchovie)?
Is there someone out there that consistently this year is getting fish larger than say 25Lbs or is it just luck?
I'll be up there this weekend drowning some lures with my boys. Call sign "Double D"
See you up there

Thanks , Fresh report from Slivers Charters , Appreciate it it Doug .

FISHING REPORT: PORT ALBERNI INLET, BARKLEY SOUND, UCLUELET
(WEST COAST) SOMASS-STAMP RIVER SYSTEM

JULY 24th 2008
Doug Lindores
Slivers Charters Salmon Sport Fishing

The salmon fishing in the area of Port Alberni, Barkley Sound, and Ucluelet continues to be very good. The weather has been wonderful and but for a few days in the past ten the fishing areas off of Ucluelet situated on the west coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, have been very fishable for salmon-halibut charter guides and their guests and all sport anglers. Most of the salmon that have been landed in the Sound and off the West Coast have been in the teens and low twenties. Guides for Slivers Charters Salmon Sport Fishing have on record a 28 pound Chinook as the largest salmon over the past week. Coho have not yet been in any abundance in the areas that we guide and have our charter salmon boats. We are expecting the migratory fish moving down the coast line of Vancouver Island to continue in good numbers. The Chinook that return back to Robertson Creek Hatchery located in Port Alberni and salmon returning to their natural rivers, streams and creeks should be showing up in various areas of Barkley Sound before pushing up into the Port Alberni Inlet in the next two weeks. August and September salmon fishing should be extremely good in Barkley Sound, the Port Alberni Inlet and off of Ucluelet.
The sockeye return to the Somass River over the last week was varied. Returns have slowed even though the water flow for this time of year is moderate to high. Daily returns to Sproat Lake were from 929 to 1,864. Great Central Lake daily returns were as low as 313 and as high as 3,408. The DFO had determined earlier with a pre-season forecast that escapement for this year would be 150,000. To date the return is a modest 125,000 with 74,000 through the counters into Sproat Lake and 51,000 into Great Central Lake. There is still plenty of time for sockeye to return to the system. There is hope that the numbers of returning fish will exceed the pre-season forecast. The run size has actually been upgraded to 170,000 and perhaps the total will get closer to 200,000.

Port Alberni Inlet
Barkley Sound
There currently is not any salmon fishing in the Port Alberni Inlet. Local fishing enthusiasts are getting ready for what is expected to be a very good season of Chinook and Coho fishing in the Inlet. Usually the best fishing begins about mid-August and can continue well into September, if there are not any early rains. The Chinook arrive first and are followed later by Coho. In past years the Coho have schooled in the China Creek and McTush areas, which created a fabulous sport fishery. Hopefully this scenario will hold true for this year.
The fishing in Barkley Sound has been fabulous. Guides Doug, John, Wayne and Mel have had some unbelievable July fishing. We have been fishing predominately Kirby Point, Swale Rock, and Meares Island to Austin Island and up to about a mile or two offshore on good days.
The fish landed have been mostly Chinook that have been in the teens and low twenties. There are many ten, eleven, and twelve pound fish around also. On many days these fish are released. It seems we are often switching areas fished. Often two or three days are good at Swale then it becomes hot in the Kirby area, which often means fishing out toward Edward King and Ship Island, which is right on the surf line. The last few days has had some very hot angling for everyone at either Swale or Meares. The bite at Swale on some days just does not end. For guide Doug limits on Chinook have been fairly quick. Many smaller fish have been released with landed fish weighing between 14 and 22 pounds. The fish are beautiful chrome in color and are real battlers. Some of the fish between 10 and 12 pounds hit and fight like 30 pound Chinook. Most of the salmon have been in 80 to 100 feet of water. Anchovy in either a green UV or purple haze Rhys Davis Teaser Head behind a green hotspot or plaid flasher have been working very well. Leader lengths are five and a half to six feet in length. The silver-glow four inch coyote spoon has been just fabulous over the last week. Guide Doug has been running this spoon with a five foot leader behind a green glow hot spot flasher. The green oil slick hootchie has been fairly good as far as plastic goes. Leader length seems best at 42 inches behind a green glow hotspot flasher. Guide Wayne spent a couple of days fishing Meares and Austin and each day ventured a mile or two offshore. It seems the salmon a couple of miles off are taking the same bait and lures that the fish in the Swale Rock area have been taking. It is in this area that the biggest recorded fish over the past week was taken. This fish came in at 28 pounds with guide Wayne who had guests from Vancouver B.C. This fish hit the four inch silver glow coyote spoon in 75 feet of water and put up a twenty-five minute battle. This salmon looked very much like a Robertson Creek Hatchery fish. Often the Robertson Creek fish begin showing up in late July out on the surf line. It is now not too early for these Chinook to begin to show and turn into Barkley Sound where they will rest and feed before making their final journey to the Somass-Stamp River system where Robertson Creek Hatchery is located. We are expecting some rather spectacular August and September fishing in the Sound. Fish returns are forecast to be in a surplus amount. If the Coho show up and mix in with the Chinook in shallower water there should be some great catch days.

Ucluelet
The salmon and halibut fishing out at the Big Bank have continued to be very good. There are also still some wonderful opportunities at South Bank, Beg Island and The Wreck. Guide Mike has been hitting the offshore bank on most days. Those days when the North wind is too difficult for fishing Mike will take guests to Barkley Sound. The Big Bank for Mike has been an area where salmon over 20 pounds have been fairly predominant. Mike has had his best fishing using a T-Rex hootchie behind 42 to 44 inches of leader. Bait has been a reasonable choice but not as good as the T-Rex hootchie. The halibut fishing has been a little better another five to six miles to the west. Mike travels each day to this spot after fishing for salmon and ofen uses a spreader-bar with either large anchovy or salmon stomachs as the bait. Most of the halibut are fifteen to twenty pounds in the area. Those guides and sport fishermen picking up bigger halibut have been doing so by using large jigs. Other guides have been picking up halibut on the troll by bouncing their cannonball off the bottom and have had great success using an army-truck glow hootchie. The fish off the coast are predominately migratory fish and should continue on their migratory path for quite sometime. We are expecting August and September to produce some wonderful fishing. Remember to be safe. Fog can be an issue on the coast and there can be some very treacherous winds. Make sure you check all weather conditions
before heading out and have radar or at least a Radar Reflector and a good compass, GPS, and VHF radio. Of course as the saying goes “September is the month with little wind”. This often is true and the West Coast of Vancouver Island and areas of Barkley Sound are like paradise and most often promise some great fishing.

Somass-Stamp River
The fall fishing in September, October, and November is expected to be very good. There will be surplus Chinook and Coho mixed with the late summer steelhead. Fishing the river can be a lot of fun with days filled with plenty of action. Currently September is booked with river days becoming available about the 7th of October. We may be able to organize a boat in September but time is running close as many river sport anglers are organizing guided trips well in advance.

Do not forget about the Port Alberni Labor Day Weekend Salmon Derby. Fishing occurs on the Saturday, Sunday, and Monday of the long weekend. There are many cash prizes with the top three fish each day receiving $3,000, $2,000, and $1,000. Top fish of the derby is awarded $7,000. There are many hidden weight cash prizes also. Derby headquarters and area of all festivities is the Clutesi Haven Marina located on River Road in Port Alberni B.C. Guided trips for the Derby are available.

For more information:
Contact
Doug Lindores
www.catchsalmon-ca.com
www.catchsalmon.ca
dlindy@shaw.ca
250 724 2502 (home)
250 731 7389 (cell)

The Fog Ducker

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

Bait has been a reasonable choice but not as good as the T-Rex hootchie.

What does a T-Rex hootchie look like? Anybody know where I can order some on line?

Thanks,
Slabby

T-Rex - Angelo's hootchie
glow green with a black stripe and a black tire pattern on the tenticles

Hey guys , How are we doing ?? Have not seen any updates recently , How 's the Barkley Stompin grounds fishing these day's , Sure wish we could get out there , Wedding just over 2 weeks away :(:(:(, then look out , I will be living there for a month , can't wait , take care ,will post reports via laptop , see ya soon the Fog Ducker ...:D

The Fog Ducker

Wensday Aug 6, 3 pm late bit after work, 5 mile bank 1 1/2 hrs 12 fish on mostly wild Coho but managed 2 springs and 2 hatchery coho.
Tuesday limited out on Halibut 20 mile out. Must have found somebody's (A guide) honey hole as he tried to rip the downrigger off the side of our boat. If i was a customer on his boat he would have kissed his tip good bye. And i would make him work for his payment. O well he at least told us that we must have been on to something. Went back and took 6 halibut out of that spot. And marked on the gps. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks to Doug again for his weekly update , Slivers Charters , Cheers !!

FISHING REPORT:pORT ALBERNI INLET, BARKLEY SOUND, (WEST COAST)
UCLUELET SOMASS-STAMP RIVER SYSTEM

Doug Lindores
August 7th 2008

Salmon and halibut fishing in the area continues to be reasonably good, especially offshore. Chinook and Coho in Barkley Sound areas have slowed down although some days have great bites and other days are slower. This is often the scenario for the last few days of July and early August. Halibut and salmon fishing at South Bank and at the Big Bank is very good. There are good numbers of Coho showing on the surface, especially at South Bank. Chinook are in deeper water but are smaller in size and range ten to fourteen pounds in weight. Areas close to the Ucluelet Harbor such as Beg Island and The Lighthouse Bank have had mixed results although there are times when large schools of migratory Coho are going through. Barkley Sound fishing has had best results from the surf line out to three or four miles offshore. Swale Rock seems to be recording the best Sound fishing.
Sockeye returns have been favorable. The last document sent by the DFO on July 24th showed that approximately 142,000 Sockeye had returned to the Somass River system. The DFO upgraded their forecast to 170,000 from 150,000. Since the last document the area has received heavy rains. Hopefully the targeted forecast goes beyond this number. There have been a good number of fish up at Stamp Falls. The possibility of Sockeye returning until almost the beginning of September, there is hope that the return will reach almost 200,000. This would be fantastic and would help with the re-building of Sockeye returns in the Port Alberni Inlet and Somass-Stamp River system.

Alberni Inlet
Barkley Sound
The Alberni Inlet is getting ready for what should be a very busy August and September. There are a good number of three and five year old Chinook forecast to return to Robertson Creek Hatchery. The DFO is still forecasting a surplus of Chinook and Coho. The August long weekend at one time used to sound the beginning of the Chinook season. Often, local hotspots like Lone Tree Point, Underwood, Hunters (Coulson’s Mill) and Cous Creek would be crawling with boats. Lately it seems that the season gets going sometime around the middle of August. Franklin River can often be hot beginning about the 10th of August. (Sport anglers camping in the China Creek and Mctush Campgrounds have been fishing the boundary line since August the 2nd. There have not been any catch reports during the first four or five days). Fish come into Bells Bay and school before pushing up into the China Creek area and The Harbor. Inlet fishing often requires patience. The salmon when in the Inlet are actually no longer feeding as they were in Barkley Sound. The fresh water influence slows them and in fact many local salmon fishing experts will tell you that the Chinook are often showing temperament when biting the lures of the many sport fisher persons lures. When fishing the Inlet one will find that three of every four lines are flying either a red or pink hootchie. There are a variety of colors but the Octopus 15, 16, and 2 or the mini-plankton in the same numbers is a good bet behind a green or red glow hotspot flasher. A variety of other hootchies such as the AORL 12, the spatterback, army-truck glow, blood and bones, and a white –glow are good to throw out. Some guides and sport fishermen use anchovy early in the Inlet season while others use just a variety of coyote spoons. If planning a trip to fish the Port Alberni Inlet in August and September and you are in need of a boat, and hotel, lodge, motel, or campground accommodation organize now as space is running very low.
Barkley Sound fishing over the past days has been best out on the surf line and just beyond. There have been some good days at Swale Rock, Effingham, Diplock, and Kirby Point but these spots as of late have not been as consistent on a daily basis as earlier in the summer. These hotspots and many other favorite salmon fishing areas will fill up with salmon returning to various Barkley Sound Creeks and Rivers and also those Chinook and Coho making their journey up to Port Alberni’s Robertson Creek Hatchery. These fish will begin to show up on the outside of the Sound probably by the end of the first week of August and will swim into different Barkley Sound areas to rest and feed before making their journey home.
The last few days and during the August long weekend guides Doug and John had some success at Edward King and Ship Island. The water has been like a pond and is forecast to continue that way for the next number of days. The area up against the rocks in 70 feet of water has had a few Chinook in the 15 to 20 pound range. There are also some good sized Coho in the area. The mix has been 50-50 in wild and hatchery. (Only hatchery Coho on the surf line can be retained) One hatchery Coho picked up by guests with guide Doug weighed in at 14 pounds. Beale just opposite Ship Island has also been hot with some good sized Chinook. However the best fishing over the past few days has been just offshore three to five miles. Many boats have been fishing the area with great success. Guide Wayne with four guests, returned home from fishing on the holiday Monday with seven hatchery Coho, four Chinook, the biggest weighing in at 27 pounds, three pinks, (which are wonderful barbecued) and one forty pound Halibut caught on the troll with a black and white hootchie in 180 feet of water three miles out. The Coho have been thick and are in the top forty feet of water. Chinook have been picked up from 80 to 100 feet. Most of these fish continue to be migratory salmon going down the coastline of Vancouver Island. Some of the salmon, especially a few of the Chinook, which are reds, look to be Robertson Creek Hatchery fish.
The salmon on the surf line and just offshore have really been hitting the silver-glow four inch coyote spoon. Guide Doug has been flying one of these spoons with a five foot leader behind a green hotspot flasher most days and has had plenty of success with Chinook and Coho. The UV green anchovy teaser head has also continued good with a five to six foot leader. Guide Wayne has been flying up to three of the silver-glow spoons. Guides John and Mel have had plenty of success with anchovy and the four inch cop car coyote. Barkley Sound will have some phenomenal fishing during August and September. The salmon will move into some of the more protected and closer popular fishing areas of the Sound which makes travelling on a daily basis much simpler for fisher people travelling from Port Alberni.

Ucluelet
Guides in Ucluelet have been doing very well. It seems that spots such as the Southwest Corner, South Bank, The Wreck, and a few of the areas close to the Ucluelet Harbor have had excellent fishing. Coho are in big numbers close to the surface and Chinook have been in deeper water. Guide Mike has been fishing two trips a day and has had some excellent trips. The August long weekend had Mike fishing morning and evenings. Morning fishing trips have been predominately salmon-halibut combo trips. On Monday Mike had three guests from Montana who managed to bring back five Coho, Five Chinook up to 20 pounds, four halibut also up to 20 pounds, and three lings. On Monday evening on the shallows in calm water Mike on a bottom fishing trip with four guests had seven halibut, four big lings and four salmon.
Guide Mike has been fishing halibut on the troll and has also been using jigs and a spreader bar with large herring and salmon parts. The Coho and Chinook have been hitting glow hootchies and anchovy in a glow and purple haze Rhys Davis anchovy teaser head. Mike like most guides has been using various other hootchie colors and coyote spoons. Little Beach is open to fishing for salmon this year. Often the salmon returning to Barkley Sound and up into the creeks and rivers of the Port Alberni Inlet will stay close to the beach which will develop Little Beach into a very favorable fishing area in August and September. Most of our Ucluelet fishing trips in the morning are for 8 hours while afternoon trips can be arranged for 6 hours.

Do not forget about the Port Alberni Salmon Fishing Derby which takes place during the Labor Day Weekend. There are great prizes and some fantastic entertainment has been lined up on the grounds located at Clutesi Have Marina on River Road.
The Somass-Stamp River fall fishing should be absolutely wonderful. There will be ample Chinook and Coho in the system. This is also an excellent time for late summer steelhead. We have a great fishing package in October and November. September and part of October is completely sold out.

For more information
Doug Lindores
www.catchsalmon-ca.com
www.catchsalmon.ca
250 724 2502 (home)
250 731 7389 (cell)
dlindy@shaw.ca

The Fog Ducker

i think this is the fog ducker i know? hey its Blair (call- trophy wife) my ol' man will be up aug20ish. Dave (call Nashwak)or (Asscrack),, i will be in sept 2ish. You? Sorry for the thread steal. just saw you on here and had to reply. if it is the fog ducker i know. abledrain@shaw.ca

Back