Bad Fuel From North Saanich Marina?

carpeweekend

Crew Member
Went out last Tuesday (the 29th) to fish the Sidney area but only got about a km away from my marina before both of my engines shut down and I got a "water in fuel" alarm/notice on my gauges. Went to the water/fuel separators and both were completely full of water. The engines are 2020 Suzuki outboards that had both recently had their 100 hour service. I had to be towed back to the marina boat launch at Van Isle by C-Tow. After speaking to Sherwood, they recommended pulling the boat out and have a technician assess and also determine if any water made it into the engines themselves.

I had filled up with fuel at North Saanich Marina only 9 days earlier. After fishing all day son the 20th and being low on fuel, I filled up at North Saanich marina ($700 of fuel) and idled directly to my slip. So, it is likely that whatever fuel was already in my gas lines before I filled up was more than enough to get me from the marina to my boat slip and then make the short trip on the 29th before my engines shut down.

I contacted North Saanich Marina but only got denials and explanations as to how it is impossible that it could have been their fuel that was the problem. I don't want to leap to any conclusions but I can't find another logical explanation. I did check my gas cap and it was securely in place.

Once I get more information and assessment from Sherwood Marine, I will re-engage with North Saanich. Does anyone else have any logical explanation as to how this could have happened (other than bad fuel?). Do marine pumps typically have water/fuel filtration systems that should prevent this (the North Saanich fuel dock is almost brand new after the fire last fall). Lastly, has anyone else purchased gas from them recently and encountered a problem?

I don't want to point fingers before I have all the facts. Any insights are appreciated.

You had an empty tank during that cold spell? That could have caused water to form no? Not sure how much it could have affected things but I've always heard that's a no-no.

Last edited:
Lots of rain over the past couple of weeks, I would be checking fill connections and vents to be sure they are sealed up from weather. Fuel dock at NS is actually the old one from Canoe Cove but the tanks are shore based and fairly new, water intrusion of that amount seems unlikely but Good for reaching out to them. I believe they would have to run water seperator filters on the pumps there?

You had an empty tank during that cold spell? That could have caused water to form no? Not sure how much it could have affected things but I've always heard that's a no-no.
No, I filled the tank before the snow and the cold spell. Also, I had run the boat all day on the 20th when there was very little fuel in the tank with no problem and I also had fuel conditioner in the tank due to condensation concerns during the winter time. It seems hard to believe that you would get much from a full tank sitting for 9 days in cooler weather.

Lots of rain over the past couple of weeks, I would be checking fill connections and vents to be sure they are sealed up from weather. Fuel dock at NS is actually the old one from Canoe Cove but the tanks are shore based and fairly new, water intrusion of that amount seems unlikely but Good for reaching out to them. I believe they would have to run water seperator filters on the pumps there?
It is an almost new boat so it is doubtful that fill connections and vents would be the issue but you never know? Hopefully, the technician can find the issue.

I got 300 litres (in a 400 litre tank)there on the 27th and have probably burned a third of that on 3 outings and have had no issues ... yet

take a 25 litre jerry can over there and fill it up. Let it sit for a day, you will see the water in the bottom of the tank. No water = not their gas.

I filled up that same day (dec 20). 300liters. Have already used that tank as well and zero issues. I doubt its north saanich. They have been busy and their fuel hasnt been sitting as the other fuel dock across the harbour is closed.

I filled up that same day (dec 20). 300liters. Have already used that tank as well and zero issues. I doubt its north saanich. They have been busy and their fuel hasnt been sitting as the other fuel dock across the harbour is closed.
That's very helpful. It has me leaning toward thinking the fault lies elsewhere. I know they have been busy as Van Isle fuel dock has been shut down. Thanks.

If your outboards check out fine and the impact is limited to a fuel tank pump out, filter replacements and line cleaning, you cop it sweet and move forward. Figure out how the water got there, remedy the cause and move on. In the big picture, that is a minor loss.

If there is damage to almost-new motors though, that is substantial loss. That would be when real investigation and possible legal action are indicated.

I filled up there before christmas and have had to empty my Racor's 2 or 3 times since (probably burned 250 l of fuel since). I must admit I was a bad boy and only had my tank 1/4 full all fall, with no use, so I'm not sure that's of any benefit to your cause.

Is your tank aluminum or plastic?
I’m wondering if the aluminum tends to sweat more than plastic?

knock on wood but I’ve never had water problems with my plastic tank. Metal spin on filter is always clean when I change them

Problem found. As many of you had suggested, the problem was not the fuel from North Saanich. I don't have all of the exact details yet but there is a defect with the fuel cap and venting. The snow and rain was accumulating on the gunnel and flowing into the tank. The heavy rains and snow in late December resulted in water flowing into the tank. Sherwood is repairing it under warranty and modifying the vent to eliminate any chance of it happening again.
Frustrating on a new boat but happy that it happened on a calm day less than a km from my marina versus offshore in snotty weather. Could have been much worse.
And Sherwood was great through it all. Hauled the boat out between Xmas and New Years, dealt with it immediately, and won't cost me anything beyond the inconvenience.

Glad they found a problem and are rectifying it for you, inconvenient yes but as you said at least you were not off shore somewhere

Problem found. As many of you had suggested, the problem was not the fuel from North Saanich. I don't have all of the exact details yet but there is a defect with the fuel cap and venting. The snow and rain was accumulating on the gunnel and flowing into the tank. The heavy rains and snow in late December resulted in water flowing into the tank. Sherwood is repairing it under warranty and modifying the vent to eliminate any chance of it happening again.
Frustrating on a new boat but happy that it happened on a calm day less than a km from my marina versus offshore in snotty weather. Could have been much worse.
And Sherwood was great through it all. Hauled the boat out between Xmas and New Years, dealt with it immediately, and won't cost me anything beyond the inconvenience.
Good to hear Carpe, happy for you it worked out the way it did.

Could be worse. Couple filters and 6 injectors later.... uhg.

Can you post some pics of what the issue was exactly?

I have a bit more info. Apparently, the US EPA now requires the vent to be on the gas cap. When we had the snow event, the snow jammed the vent open and the subsequent rainfall and melting snow flowed from the gunnel into the tank. Sherwood has modified it so that I have a more traditional separate vent on the side of the boat rather than in the gas cap.

Back