As winter approaches..............

salty-dog

Salt fishing is pretty much closing down as winter approaches so I am wondering how many of you leave the salt for fresh water to get your fishing fix.

The die hard salters will obviously keep going for whatever is available in your area, but how many hang up the gear and wait for spring, how many go fresh and how many just go to "greener pastures" for the winter?

there are many a beautiful day to be had on the water in the winter months,
my favorite time to be out there for sure, peaceful, quiet, and no positioning for favorite spots

looking forward to chum fishing on the puntledge and browns bay might sneek up to WH for some huge coho this week

I live n the Okanagan and I fish in th big lakes year round as long a there not to much snow or ice to trailering there. Did a derby in nakusp in jan to years ago 13" snow the day before the derby started, drive took 7 hours one way had to chain up that was no fun!!

It AIN'T over for a spell yet!

The of course there's Hunting Season that will last into December! :)

Just in time for Winter Steelhead!! ;)

Then back to the chuck come spring.

Damn Tough to take living here... :D

Cheers,
Nog

As a relative newcomer to saltwater fishing, located in Sooke, I much prefer the winter fishing. For the last two winter seasons it has been very good around Sooke and I usually manage to catch some chinook, in total contrast to summer, which has been impossible for me this year. Even last year I only had three chinook all summer!!

This past winter there was a big run of American hatchery fish and by March/April it was great and the fish were a good size. We had a couple of 14lb, a 15 and a 16lb fish, which are pretty good fish by "winter standards". In stark contrast I have had no chinook since 6th June, which was a late winter and also a hatchery fish (summer coho have been excellent though).

So for me....roll on winter/spring!! Around Sooke it is almost worth putting the boat away for the summer....LOL:D

Winter springs are generally more abundant and will bite more readily.
They don't usually show up in any numbers until mid to late November and
hang around till April.
nothing like a calm day in January with the sun shining and your lines in the water. :)

Fish everywhere, anytime, anyday and any type. Its in my blood. but im looking forward to trying some winter flyfishing in a few lakes somthing i've never done.

KK

Nothing better eating than a 14 lb feeder caught on a calm sunny day on a cut plug herring. Added bonus is a few hundred prawns while you are fishing.

Salt Water is never over itchin already for a good Chum day, hope to do some winter spring fishing also. Tortuga has promised to show me some River fishing this fall so hopes up, i dont hunt since I was a kid so fishing is it.

Freezer is full of white meat, best year ever on springs 30+ but still most were white, next 7 days to round out hali north island. No need to fish when hunting gets going, 30 days northern BC starts 15 Sept followed by as many days chasing island stuff. Did just buy a tin boat to chase 20lb+ lakers after moose, caribou, goat and the rest is hanging in the trees. Will not put ocean boat away and Duffer hope you will help us get a few winter RED springs to ease winter withdrawls.

HM

It AIN'T over for a spell yet!

The of course there's Hunting Season that will last into December! :)

Just in time for Winter Steelhead!! ;)

Then back to the chuck come spring.

Damn Tough to take living here... :D

Cheers,
Nog
Yeppers Matt. Lookin forward to swamp donkeys in west of PG, maybe even a smokey!!!! Got the LEH smokey tag this year so I'll be hopin I see him before he see's me. Yikes!!!

Back