Radio Usage

Lewy

Hi guys - My boat is a 19' glasply hardtop. When I got the boat a couple of seasons back, it came with (and still has) a standard horizon radio and a huge antenna. I haven't really used or so far needed the radio and never raised the antenna, so I was thinking a small hand-held transceiver might be adequate. I picked up a Uniden MHS350 with charger and 2 batteries at Value Village last week for $20 but of course the batteries are shot and new ones aren't available.
I found out how to open up the battery casings and I can rebuild both for about fifty bucks. Apart from using the mayday function, do you guys use your radios to ask other guys about the fishing depth etc when you're out say off beechey or just wave your arms and hold up fingers? In other words, do you think I should just keep the old clunky Standard horizon or fix up the Uniden or keep waving to the other boats?

Not sure whether to take you seriously or not with your question?
Does the Standard Horizon and HUGE antenna still work? I'm assuming it is an 8 foot antenna?
Is it a problem to raise and lower the antenna?

Not sure whether to take you seriously or not with your question?
Does the Standard Horizon and HUGE antenna still work? I'm assuming it is an 8 foot antenna?
Is it a problem to raise and lower the antenna?
yes it works, and the antenna is about 8' .. but I never use it, I just thought the hand held would be less hassle to use to talk to other fishermen -that is if anyone bothers to chat.

Keep the big radio man! Safety first.
What CPM says. Exactly.

Range of VHF transmission/reception depends on atmospheric conditions, antenna height, & wavelength/length (i.e. 1/4 WL antenna is better than a handheld 1/32) and transmission power (watts). Handhelds are delinquent wrt comparing range of transmission with station-based 1/4WL whip antennas and power. Typically, you get ~2nm mile for handhelds and >10nm - often 20+nm with suitable fixed radio stations on boats/shore.

Antenna should be up on every trip. Boats can sink in seconds........like the guy last week off Bowen. In that situation he grabbed his handheld. I always roll with both radios.

So far never fished fish further than 1/2 mile offshore, usually close to shore. I'll put the antenna up tomorrow and try to figure out the radio I guess!

Antenna should be up on every trip. Boats can sink in seconds........like the guy last week off Bowen. In that situation he grabbed his handheld. I always roll with both radios.
Exactly what I was going to mention.

Both the fixed and handheld are critical in different situations. A handheld won't transmit far enough to reach boats you can see in the distance, but a fixed radio only works when your boat has power, is right side up etc. Also handy to have both if you drop someone off on shore and want to keep in communication.

You’re getting good feedback from this board so far.

Maybe take the VHF course at your local Power Squadron. Your perspective will change on how this clunky piece of technology can save your life or the other fellow boaters’. Boats still sink in half a mile from shore and if you get stuck in a choppy sea, only that huge antenna can transmit your Mayday call.
Also, cary the hand held with a fully charged battery in your escape bag. Not sure how much you spend on gear and gas every season but maybe budget some coins for your safety and that means learning how to help other people too.

Last edited:
My radio is always on scanning 16 and a few others I use to communicate with my pose. I also have a handheld that goes with me on the dinghy or kayak. I am on the water quite a bit and have been in on more than my share of assistance calls.
I've never had a license.

My radio is always on scanning 16 and a few others I use to communicate with my pose. I also have a handheld that goes with me on the dinghy or kayak. I am on the water quite a bit and have been in on more than my share of assistance calls.
I've never had a license.
Same, I kinda miss the days when all the chatter and reporting and bantering took place on the radio station of a given area, 88a in the Vancouver area. Now everyone just texts and I wonder how many boats even have the radio on listening for distress calls.

You’re getting good feedback from this board so far.

Maybe take the VHF course at your local Power Squadron. Your perspective will change on how this clunky piece of technology can save your life or the other fellow boaters’. Boats still sink in half a mile from shore and if you get stuck in a choppy sea, only that huge antenna can transmit your Mayday call.
Also, cary the hand held with a fully charged battery in your escape bag. Not sure how much you spend on gear and gas every season but maybe budget some coins for your safety and that means learning how to help other people too.

Great advice. It's worth it. Especially the emergency scenarios they teach in course.

Just another thing I would never not have on boat. Ideal is both fixed and handheld.

Handheld have a short distance vs fixed. VHF transmits line of sight so a big whip antenna is ideal for fixed radio.

Back