Anchor line twisting question

halimark

Question for those that anchor for hali. I have had the same gear for 10 years, 600ft 1/2" duel cores sampson braid rode, 40ft galvanized chain to a slip ring 15 lb Danforth. For the last year or so it has started to twist when on anchor, normally the twist is at the top of the rode closest to the ball, goes like a pigs tail when dropped in bucket. After 6-8 anchor sets I have started to "tow" out the twists because I get nervous when pulling. Don't want anything to stop the anchor from coming up and catching the ring. I have changed nothing and its never done this before end of last year.

What would cause this. Before ideas I hope some experience seafarers on here know the reason?

I have never had a "spinner" in the line, but am now at a loss as to the twisting.

Any help?

Thanks

HM

Thought of that but seams to get worse longer I stay on anchor. I have that exact same spinner but have not put it on yet. Not sure what would cause anchor to start spinning. I was wondering if rope was spinning in current now that it is 10 years old and stiffer?? I'm at a loss.

HM

Once your anchor is set, it can't twist unless the boat spins. Do you use the rode for prawns? and put a twist in it with a capstan or other puller? A braided line doesn't have a natural coil size like a laid line does, but since yours is older, maybe it has taken on twist over the years. Coiling line will put a twist in it that gets nasty when the twist can't unravel since the anchor is fixed and hanging in the ring that's when you get the pigtails. Do you coil it into the bucket with loops that don't suit what the line wants? try figure a 8 or just pile it in random loops.

Back