Knot in anchor chain

If I’m solo I’m more concerned with the boat in wind/tide not with descending my anchor…..plus who wants to mess around descending your anchor when you could be fishing. With the roll flat there is zero chance of a pile up. But to each their own.
"With the roll flat" ...... It's maybe a stupid question on my part but what does that mean??

I have a 15 lb anchor, I’ll give that a try next time.
I was going to give my buddy’s anchor a try (BC Coast Pilot) for just the reason you suggested, thanks.
My buddy uses the same setup - he just bought a bigger boat and now uses a 15 lb anchor instead of an 11.
I have 1/2 inch double braid from Trotac, so I would think the quality of the rope should be ok.
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, it’s a start. I think this week I’ll be able to get out and give some of these ideas a try.
Just looking at your anchor, imagine it acting like a parachute as it descends. I have a similar setup but with the 7kg bruce, 7/16 nylon, 40ft of 3/8 chain. No problems.

Attachments

• 20220606_161256.jpg
    20220606_161256.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 52
I was always told the chain is what helps you "hold" as it gets into the rocks and gravel etc thats why they use chain and keeps the anchor down, I have close to 60 feet of chain on my system and a 7.5 kg anchor seems to hold my heavy tub no problems. And I just let it rip thru the ring as alot times the current is pulling me on a angle away from the line. letting wind and or current move the boat away from the back of my boat and away from the engine.

I was always told the chain is what helps you "hold" as it gets into the rocks and gravel etc thats why they use chain and keeps the anchor down, I have close to 60 feet of chain on my system and a 7.5 kg anchor seems to hold my heavy tub no problems. And I just let it rip thru the ring as alot times the current is pulling me on a angle away from the line. letting wind and or current move the boat away from the back of my boat and away from the engine.
100% on the chain holding. The theory is that the weight of chain changes the catenary or scope into more of a horizontal force on the anchor allowing it to dig in as opposed to a vertical direct pull from rope only.

Last edited:
"With the roll flat" ...... It's maybe a stupid question on my part but what does that mean??
its just discharge hose. Thin, pretty strong and durable but cant maintain a round shape like a garden hose just by its construction.

On a side note, if the op is having trouble try anchoring at slack.
Your drift speed should be minimal and a slower drop may help with the
knotting.

Last edited:
Update:

These were the steps I was going to take to rectify
my problem, with the ideas you’ve all suggested.

First step - controlled descent, same anchor (with the chain zap-strapped to the shaft of the anchor), wearing leather gloves, backing up the boat and holding onto the anchor rope as I started - I hadn’t been doing this, I had just been drifting back with the current.

Second step - controlled descent, larger anchor

Third step - 1 1/2 roll flat (discharge hose )

I did the first step twice in one day because a current swap took me completely off my mark and I had to reset my anchor.
I went out alone on Thursday and have to admit that I was a little nervous going by myself (in case the chain knotted again), but it all worked great. Because the first step worked so well, I didn’t need to try the other two steps.

Thanks for all of your input gentlemen, I think I’m on the right track now…

Haha, when you said three steps, I knew you would not make it past the first.
No magic in anchoring, just experience!

I had the same problem with the chain as Carp Chaser. I use both hands to control the fall of the anchor, and still ended up with knots in the chain. I put a homemade swivel between the chain and the anchor line. Haven’t had a problem since – just my experience.

Attachments

• IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Back