Knot in anchor chain

Carp Chaser

I’ve just started halibut fishing. I’ve gone out with a friend many times who, when he anchors, gets the chain past the boat and lets the rope, chain and anchor free fall till they hit the bottom. When I attempt the same thing in my boat, I get a knot in my anchor chain and when I pull the anchor, the knot won’t pass through the 5 inch ring, which leaves me pulling the rope and anchor 200 to 300 feet by hand ( not an easy task for the 2 of us and probably impossible by myself).
If I hold onto the rope and slow the descent, I’ll get only a small knot in the chain when I pull it and can usually get most of chain though the ring, but this can also cause me to miss my mark, depending how fast the current is flowing. I have also noticed that sometimes my chain seems to be twisted and I have to hang the anchor over the side and let the chain untwist.

I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts/solutions regarding this problem.

I have 30 ft of 3/8 chain and 11 lb bruce anchor

Odd, what kind of chain, with a pair of gloves on you should e able to let it fall very quickly with a small amout of friction and keep it under control. Is it geting a over hand knot or is the chain jaming up with a link side ways? You might have the wrong type of chain. You could as well add a chain swivel but you should not need it for this set up.

I still had a knot from last trip and here is picture.
When I went out to undo the knot just now I had to thread the anchor through the chain to get the knot undone and then hold the chain up and let the anchor untwist the chain. Trotac put this setup together - it is just a regular 3/8 chain.
Tom Mac, I had also thought of putting a chain swivel on, that will my next step, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 181
It's possible that the chain is sinking faster (heavier) than the anchor which is flying on It's descent causing it to double back on the chain. Either try a different or heavier anchor or some 5/16 chain. It's possible the dynamics of your anchor are causing it to flutter on the way down, a poorly cast/balanced anchor will cause this. If you are getting a lot of twisting, that usually comes from rope quality issues. If the anchor can outrun the chain then you can dump and run, have a good look at what your buddy uses.

I have a 15 lb anchor, I’ll give that a try next time.
I was going to give my buddy’s anchor a try (BC Coast Pilot) for just the reason you suggested, thanks.
My buddy uses the same setup - he just bought a bigger boat and now uses a 15 lb anchor instead of an 11.
I have 1/2 inch double braid from Trotac, so I would think the quality of the rope should be ok.
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, it’s a start. I think this week I’ll be able to get out and give some of these ideas a try.

I have the engine alternating from neutral to reverse while letting out the anchor in a controlled manner. Never had an issue.

I still had a knot from last trip and here is picture.
When I went out to undo the knot just now I had to thread the anchor through the chain to get the knot undone and then hold the chain up and let the anchor untwist the chain. Trotac put this setup together - it is just a regular 3/8 chain.
Tom Mac, I had also thought of putting a chain swivel on, that will my next step, thanks
Just to derail this slightly, but why do you have the shackle at the back of the anchor?

I’ve knotted my anchor chain a few times because I didn’t control the descent. Now I let it drop quickly, but with just a bit of tension from a gloved hand, no knots.

He Better have it cleated off to something strong to break that zap strap. Looks a little, no make that alot of overkill
When it snags your can break the zap strap at the top of the anchor and pull the anchor out backwards. In theory… I’ve seen it not work twicBetter

When it snags your can break the zap strap at the top of the anchor and pull the anchor out backwards. In theory… I’ve seen it not work twice.
Hmm, i'd heard that's a thing, but as someone who uses their anchor to keep the family safely tucked away for the night, last thing i'd want is that safety dependant on a zap strap!

Hmm, i'd heard that's a thing, but as someone who uses their anchor to keep the family safely tucked away for the night, last thing i'd want is that safety dependant on a zap strap!
Thats only used for us halibut fishing as sometimes we anchor in some areas that have rock etc and when your down 250 to 350 feet you really dont know whats down there, I break mine zap straps constantly (yesterday being once again) on anchor over night you wouldnt do that 2 totally different things.
As for the chain balling up ive had it only happen a few times and I free fall my chain BUT I also let current and wind move my boat OR ill put boat in gear and let it do the work for me. everyday is different.

I did this a couple years ago to my anchor set up:

i highly recommend it. Way easier on your hands and no more boat rash. I still kick in and out of gear to try to control descent.

I did this a couple years ago to my anchor set up:

i highly recommend it. Way easier on your hands and no more boat rash. I still kick in and out of gear to try to control descent.

That's a really good idea.

I knotted once in the early days with my Trotac system. As the OP mentioned, it's no fun pulling it back up from 300+ ft. Now I do the slower decent by hand and when the anchor hits the bottom I very slowly let out slack to lay down the chain with the drift. No problems since.

If I’m solo I’m more concerned with the boat in wind/tide not with descending my anchor…..plus who wants to mess around descending your anchor when you could be fishing. With the roll flat there is zero chance of a pile up. But to each their own.

Back