Americans guiding in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a quick google search, didn't take long to turn up an American charter operator advertising Canadian trips. Probably lots more to be found but it's getting late.

http://www.evening-star-expeditions.com/contact.html

Oh, and I've noticed richmake that you have not responded to what I've said...I'm hoping for an apology...but I doubt I would get that. Anyway..my point is that you think you are better than the rest of us...when really, we are equals. Maybe one day you will see that!

David

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

Did a quick google search, didn't take long to turn up an American charter operator advertising Canadian trips. Probably lots more to be found but it's getting late.

http://www.evening-star-expeditions.com/contact.html

This is interesting... If an American loads up his guests IN American waters... Then boats them up and goes fishing for two or three days... Then hauls them back down and kicks them off on American shore's... For the price of 1500 USD/day... Is he guiding in Canadian waters or taking them out on a cruise and they just happen into fish???

I'm not sure if anything can be done about it unless an opperator is found 'cold-handed' asking for $$$ for a specific service. It would require undercover agents and the like.

Christ, we have a tough time getting funds for DFO staff!

I fish with a guy from the states who comes up here every summer for two months. He is in his seventies and needs someone to go with him. There is no way I can say no. He pumps tons of money into the local economy spending probably near ten thousand in the two months. He catches a fair number of fish. He smokes a few, does up some lox with the bigger ones. After that he fishes for fun and gives all his local buddies including me some fish. 100% respectable. If someone is either guiding or catching more than his limit fine. However, if he is fishing his limit and following the Canadian rules why not late him bring his money to Canada. This is what BC is, a west coast wilderness destination. People come here for the shear enjoyment, why should we take that away. Some of you are being a little greedy.

D

quote:Originally posted by drad2k4

I fish with a guy from the states who comes up here every summer for two months. He is in his seventies and needs someone to go with him. There is no way I can say no. He pumps tons of money into the local economy spending probably near ten thousand in the two months. He catches a fair number of fish. He smokes a few, does up some lox with the bigger ones. After that he fishes for fun and gives all his local buddies including me some fish. 100% respectable. If someone is either guiding or catching more than his limit fine. However, if he is fishing his limit and following the Canadian rules why not late him bring his money to Canada. This is what BC is, a west coast wilderness destination. People come here for the shear enjoyment, why should we take that away. Some of you are being a little greedy.

D

I think you are misunderstanding most peoples complaints on this thread. No one is complaining about legitimate US visitors with their own personal vessel coming here to fish. I am not a charter operator, so I have no vested interest in this debate. However, I have some experience in the industry. Setting up a legitimate charter operation in BC is very expensive to operate. We also have many safety regulations to comply with. Illegal operators from the States are unfairly competing with legitimate operators. They don't have to comply with our regulations or pay taxes in this country. We have a very high rate of taxation, and these operators are not paying their share as they are operating below board.

The fish they are helping their clients to catch illegally are reducing our Canadian fish stocks, without contributing to the Canadian economy in any substantial way. I do not begrudge any one coming here catching fish. It isn't about Canadians being greedy. It is about unscrupulous American charter operators skirting our laws and taking fish they are not entitled to. Guide in Washington state, if you are an American. Oh, wait a minute, there's no dam* fish left there. So why not set up business here and decimate our stocks. Once there's no money to be made here, I guess they'll simply wander up the coast to Alaska and do the same thing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back