9.9hp Mercury outboard advice

sako79

Last year i went and bought a brand new 9.9hp short leg mercury outboard. i took it out for the first time and had to bring it back for warranty, i was having fuel problems. they replaced the carb. it worked for a few outings until i experienced starting problems and running problems again. its been to the dealer 4 times with less than 30 hours on it. 4 weeks ago i went to stave lake and it would start at all it was soaked in fuel, and i couldnt get it started. so it went back and it wouldnt start for them right away. they cleaned out the carb and finally got it running. they thought it might be my easy motor toter causing it when traveling in my truck. so they also gave me a new fuel tank to try. so i went home and a week later i tried to start my motor. it fired up on the 4th pull. i left gas in the carb and put the outboard lying down(tiller down) in the back of my truck and drove around the block a few times and then tried to start it, nope after 10 pulls woundt fire, i then got it going on the 13 pull with wide open throttle. i thin put the motor standing straight up and down in my truck and went for a ride came back and same thing. over 10 pulls to get it running. Dealer told me to run the fuel out before traveling to see if it starts. i did this and it starts fine. this is not right it should not flood out with fuel in carb.

Today me and a buddy launched out boats under the Port Mann Bridge at 530am. My outboard started on the 4th pull and ran good. we head up the Fraser and then up the Pitt River. we went under the pitt river bridge and about a mile past the Lafarge gravel pit and we idled down to neutral to talk. we were idling for about 30 seconds and my motor just died. it wouldnt restart. I pulled the spark plugs and they were soaked in gas. i left the plugs out and put in in wide open throttle and pulled the cord. fuel just kept pouring and spraying out. i then waited 1/2 hour and tapped the carb. then put the plugs back in and it fired up and worked the rest of the day fine. i believe i have a carb problem and it needs to be replaced again. this problem plus the flooding when you leave fuel in the carb and traveling is not proper.

. what do you think i should do.

ALSO HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS LIKE THIS FROM MERCURY OUTBOARDS

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite on the contrary, we have a 9.9 merc at work that just won't die, it gets absolutely abused, but just keeps running (which is a shame because as soon as it breaks, we get a better boat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention I have to run it on chevron 94 octane. It runs like bad on 87

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE

Mercury marine is awesome. they are going to change out my whole fuel system and if i still have problems after, they will give me my money back or a brand new outboard. Chris at Inlet Marine has been awesome. Thankyou for helping me. I would highly recommend Inlet Marine.

Back