Yamaha 8HP kicker issues

Sea Chaser

Crew Member
Motor died while on troll just stalled out on me. Changed fuel filter as easy fix and motor fired right up in my driveway. Went out fishing and motor wouldn’t stay running while on the water . Seemed if I choked it , it would stay running until I put it in gear . I have the carb pulled and gonna clean it up. Any other suggestions to look for? Seem like a fuel issue to me but maybe I’m missing something . Thanks guys

Motor died while on troll just stalled out on me. Changed fuel filter as easy fix and motor fired right up in my driveway. Went out fishing and motor wouldn’t stay running while on the water . Seemed if I choked it , it would stay running until I put it in gear . I have the carb pulled and gonna clean it up. Any other suggestions to look for? Seem like a fuel issue to me but maybe I’m missing something . Thanks guys
clean the carb first and make sure the jets are cleaned really well, next might be the fuel pump diaphragm but the old KISS method comes into play.

Also, Adjustment screw behind metal plug. Sealed at factory, remove plug.

Before doing anything else, I would pull the plugs and see what they tell you. If they look decent and tan, or all cooked black from running rich? If those look OK, then you can start fiddling based on how the ignition is working.

Before doing anything else, I would pull the plugs and see what they tell you. If they look decent and tan, or all cooked black from running rich? If those look OK, then you can start fiddling based on how the ignition is working.
I replaced them for the hell of it last year but I’ll pull and take a peak. Was running great for ever then wham. Stalled out on me.

Check your oil and if you find it is over filled it is probably the Diaphragm. The diaphragm might have a pin hole which is very hard to see but when the fuel pump is pumping fuel though the diaphragm and into the oil.
I had a 9.9 that would run of a few minutes and then die. I checked the oil and it was over filled and when I pulled the and cleaned the dip stick oil on the white paper towel was a purplish color and I was using marked gas.

Make sure the shutoff valve to main tank is functional and free. I've left mine closed before and it's amazing how long it takes before the Yamaha will stall out.

Just disconnect the line and make sure it's got fuel. Is the filter full?

Make sure the shutoff valve to main tank is functional and free. I've left mine closed before and it's amazing how long it takes before the Yamaha will stall out.

Just disconnect the line and make sure it's got fuel. Is the filter full?
I pumped the primer and you can see fuel come through the filter and also also opened up the bowl on the carb and there was fuel comming out

Ok. I'd pull the plugs next, then if those look good clean the carb best you can. I'm doing the timing belt on my 9.9 yamaha 4s this weekend so if you need any pics or whatever let me know. I've had this timing since 2016 and have never touched the carb once just plugs, filter, thermostat, and go.

Have a clogged jet.

Clogged jet for sure. The fact you have to choke it to keep it running says it all. Physically remove each jet and clean them with a little wire. Using different sprays or seafoam is not good enough.
my .02$

How many jets are in this carb? I found 3 and have sprayed and soaked them and sprayed the crap out of every mm of this carb. Got side tracked having to fix my 4 runner 4315BEF3-1E11-4FF4-B7A7-3D1EC2A0B99A.jpeg
Got that fixed now I’m gonna drink some beer .

I’ll put it back together tomorrow and test. Looks like some crap came out when soaking it. Hopefully that’s all it took. I’ll dig up my torch cleaning kit and see if I can poke through the jets first

Fingers crossed . Thanks fellas

Back