29-10 fishing regulations

sushieater

Can anyone help me figure out what this means from the fishing regulations? A picture couldn't hurt :)

from: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html#coho

Subarea 29-3 and that portion of Subarea 29-10 easterly of a line from the Tango 10 Light Buoy, then to the northern tip of Lulu Island: All year: two hatchery marked coho per day.

I'm having a hard time picturing what's closed. I know where t10 is and I know where lulu island is. Is everything south of t-10 closed then? Are they referring to the northern most point of lulu island or the northern tip that is at the ocean. t10 to the north end of lulu is a mostly east-west line. How can you have an area east of an east/west oriented line?

Also, The banana. I thought that was part of the fraser river itself, but the regs make it sound like all of 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 is called the banana.

So springs are closed until july 16th for all of 29-6,7,9,10?

thanks for any help. I can never figure out why the regulations are not made easier to understand.

Can anyone help me figure out what this means from the fishing regulations? A picture couldn't hurt :)

from: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html#coho

Subarea 29-3 and that portion of Subarea 29-10 easterly of a line from the Tango 10 Light Buoy, then to the northern tip of Lulu Island: All year: two hatchery marked coho per day.

I'm having a hard time picturing what's closed. I know where t10 is and I know where lulu island is. Is everything south of t-10 closed then? Are they referring to the northern most point of lulu island or the northern tip that is at the ocean. t10 to the north end of lulu is a mostly east-west line. How can you have an area east of an east/west oriented line?

Also, The banana. I thought that was part of the fraser river itself, but the regs make it sound like all of 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10 is called the banana.

So springs are closed until july 16th for all of 29-6,7,9,10?

thanks for any help. I can never figure out why the regulations are not made easier to understand.

No confusion required.

Check out the map. Then look at the lines. shade the areas. Follow direction and follow the yellow brick road.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...634114,-13611229.325370973,6396039.9040658865

hey Sushieater

I think your confusion may be that your question is referring to the DFO site explaining where coho is open all year as opposed to most areas where coho are open on June 1st. Your question is therefore mute now because it is now July so doesn't matter. Nobody I know targets coho anywhere off that portion of area of 29-10 prior to June 1st anyway as most of area 29-10 is all very shallow waters. At least as far south as T10 it is. Deep in Crab Pot Bay is the only area in 29-10 has anyrelatively deeper waters.

As far as area 29-3 goes, its open for 2 hatchery coho but as of June 27th this year, one of your coho can be unmarked. Areas 29-1 to 29-5 you can now keep one unmarked ( "wild") and one hatchery ( or both Hatchery ).

Re your "Banana" question goes. I'd suggest forgetting worrying what the "banana" area is when trying to learn the closed sub areas.....but yes the "Banana" is the areas closed to chinook. Those sub areas you listed extend east to the the river mouth only and then another sub area starts in the river - and you have to learn those sub areas rules to fish them. Just look at the DFO map as it shows the areas and their boundaries. If you are trying to figure out closed areas on the DFO site then you must learn boundaries of the sub areas. The Chinook regs/closure areas at the Fraser river mouth in tidal waters are all of 29-10, 9, 7, 6 and are marked and explained on the DFO website map of areas/subareas. The areas will open to Chinook only to a slot size on July 16th ( 2 with max 77cm for both) Not till July 28th do these river mouth areas open to 2 Chinook over 77cm...... and the closed/slot dates can be extended so you have to watch for Fishery notices to know the regs fully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back