2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got about an hour And a half in with my boy (8) and had to make a run to Steveston (pic)…was getting better when we left though. One spring (I assume) which ran straight up and tangled into my stacked line. Doh. Be back out in an hour.

Attachments

• DCABB285-4B07-415A-AD78-4ADB0A3BBA41.jpeg
    DCABB285-4B07-415A-AD78-4ADB0A3BBA41.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 15
SH from 730 to noon, 3 Sox right away and then found 3 almost identical 18 lb springs. One red, one marbled and one white. All big beauty Sox but it was sure sporty. We headed back around noon and was gonna look for some coho off Ambleside, but headed in. Springs all down at 90 and north of the maddening crowds. Amazing schooling of Sox on the sounder in shallow say 130...it's definitely not over!

Oh ya, bait for springs 5" herring and small Alaskan 3"/4" herring. Both worked equally well, we lost one other nice spring at the surface.

Last edited:
Random question: Thoughts on the legality of carrying (and using) an air soft gun on the boat to shoot seals with?
Are the paints in the balls biodegradable?

If there are no seals around can I use it to mark up the sides of the boats for guys who are trolling right beside you in the same tack who decides they are going to throttle up and cut right in front of you to do a 90 degree turn in front of your boat causing you to do an evasive maneuver and cut throttle until your lines are straight up and down and get tangled? The latter seems more fun...

Sandheads from 1230 to 530pm. 1 tyee white, 1 14 lb spring, 1 hatch coho, 5 sockeye. 2 man limit. Super rough to start the day but paid off. 70 to 90 ft. Red flashers pink squirts. Epic fishing for us!

Attachments

• 20220916_182530.jpg
    20220916_182530.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 232
SH from 730 to noon, 3 Sox right away and then found 3 almost identical 18 lb springs. One red, one marbled and one white. All big beauty Sox but it was sure sporty. We headed back around noon and was gonna look for some coho off Ambleside, but headed in. Springs all down at 90 and north of the maddening crowds. Amazing schooling of Sox on the sounder in shallow say 130...it's definitely not over!

Oh ya, bait for springs 5" herring and small Alaskan 3"/4" herring. Both worked equally well, we lost one other nice spring at the surface.
Way to go, highliner

Are the paints in the balls biodegradable?

If there are no seals around can I use it to mark up the sides of the boats for guys who are trolling right beside you in the same tack who decides they are going to throttle up and cut right in front of you to do a 90 degree turn in front of your boat causing you to do an evasive maneuver and cut throttle until your lines are straight up and down and get tangled? The latter seems more fun...
that"s what sling shots and old 5# cannon balls are for, lol

Landed 5 springs and one hatch ho at sandheads in tight 30-50. Had a few more chances as things tapered off. Best action early, biggest was 18. Got pretty wavy! Moved to T10 around noon and missed our one shot at redemption 80’ down north of the marker. Favoured chovie today

Had a great night bite.. ended up with 1 of each.

Fished from about 5:45pm to 730pm. Hit a hatch coho on the first drop down. Then lost 1 or 2 sock. Finally landed a small sock and capped it off with a 17llb spring hitting the herring aide after I popped the clip and was reeling in.

Finally made it out to Sandheads with the family this afternoon. Fished about 2pm to almost 7pm. Drove out past all the guys in tight looking for chinook and went out in search of Sox. Saw the commercial guys out further so headed that way. Put a dummy flasher on each ball, then another dummy at 8 feet, first line at 16 feet and second Line at 26 feet. Mostly blue flashers on rods and green or red on dummies. About 24 inch leaders to a variation of pink squirts and one Googley eyed wild thing. One side at 110 feet the other side at 100 or 90 feet down. Fish were hitting as soon as I went down and made it hard to stay set up the whole time. There were a couple lulls towards the end. We lost the first few. Then got the first fish in the boat and realized it was a wild coho. We caught 6 wild coho in total all released. We also landed 10 sockeye and probably lost another 6 to 8, 3 right by the boat ... my netter has problems with the rocking boat and I probably caused a couple to get off rushing it a bit. Then we got a Chinook when we were trolling back to the light house at the end. Not a huge one, maybe 10 pounds. On sockeye gear. Last fish was another wild coho. Tons of coho in the area today. Tons of action. Beautiful evening. We sure live in a wonderful place. If only DFO would have opened it a little earlier they would be a bit more silver.

Attachments

• 20220916_190003.jpg
    20220916_190003.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 20220916_184636.jpg
    20220916_184636.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 20220916_184649.jpg
    20220916_184649.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Finally made it out to Sandheads with the family this afternoon. Fished about 2pm to almost 7pm. Drove out past all the guys in tight looking for chinook and went out in search of Sox. Saw the commercial guys out further so headed that way. Put a dummy flasher on each ball, then another dummy at 8 feet, first line at 16 feet and second Line at 26 feet. Mostly blue flashers on rods and green or red on dummies. About 24 inch leaders to a variation of pink squirts and one Googley eyed wild thing. Fish were hitting as soon as I went down and made it hard to stay set up the whole time. There were a couple lulls towards the end. We lost the first few. Then got the first fish in the boat and realized it was a wild coho. We caught 6 wild coho in total all released. We also landed 10 sockeye and probably lost another 6 to 8, 3 right by the boat ... my netter has problems with the rocking boat and I probably caused a couple to get off rushing it a bit. Then we got a Chinook when we were trolling back to the light house at the end. Not a huge one, maybe 10 pounds. On sockeye gear. Last fish was another wild coho. Tons of coho in the area today. Tons of action. Beautiful evening. We sure live in a wonderful place. If only DFO would have opened it a little earlier they would be a bit more silver.
Yup same for us lots of wild coho. Nice man

How’s the water? Wind warning in effect, but Windy/PerdictWind seem to show it’ll be fine til afternoon. Leaving soon, me and the boat can handle it, but not the kids. can’t decide sand heads or Cap…
At the dock pondering the same question. Windy shows 9kn NW at 9am today and then building at 14kn by noon. Gonna get lumpy…

Had a great night bite.. ended up with 1 of each.

Fished from about 5:45pm to 730pm. Hit a hatch coho on the first drop down. Then lost 1 or 2 sock. Finally landed a small sock and capped it off with a 17llb spring hitting the herring aide after I popped the clip and was reeling in.
Grand slam of fishing

At the dock pondering the same question. Windy shows 9kn NW at 9am today and then building at 14kn by noon. Gonna get lumpy…
Good so far!

Question on speed for sockeye with the current flood tide at SH - recommended gps or rigger cable angles? Until we get this dialed in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back