2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure to top off the tank in this weather. Had to tow a boat in to the gas barge yesterday who ran out of fuel and was heading for the rocks. Shouldn’t need to be said but maybe sharing this lesson will make someone think twice before they leave the dock saying to their buddies or family, “We should have enough gas.”

Make sure to top off the tank in this weather. Had to tow a boat in to the gas barge yesterday who ran out of fuel and was heading for the rocks. Shouldn’t need to be said but maybe sharing this lesson will make someone think twice before they leave the dock saying to their buddies or family, “We should have enough gas.”

Was it a custom 26 Bayliner by chance?

Good so far!

Question on speed for sockeye with the current flood tide at SH - recommended gps or rigger cable angles? Until we get this dialed in?
I'd say the key is trolling and watch for the jumpers. Troll right into them. Watch your sounder for these massive bait ball looking sockeye balls. Then circle back through it a few times if you get bit. Try to stay on the school. I set a way point when I see one. Helps me criss cros it a few times. Speed I go 1.7 to 2.2. The angle is usually about 10 to 30 degrees with 15 lb balls. I think all the flashers add drag though. I don't really think the zig zags matter as much as finding and staying on the school's. Troll for the jumpers.

Very quiet for us at SH this morning, no jumpers and nothing on the sounder yet. Have only seen one net out? They must have all jetted up the river last night :)

I'd say the key is trolling and watch for the jumpers. Troll right into them. Watch your sounder for these massive bait ball looking sockeye balls. Then circle back through it a few times if you get bit. Try to stay on the school. I set a way point when I see one. Helps me criss cros it a few times. Speed I go 1.7 to 2.2. The angle is usually about 10 to 30 degrees with 15 lb balls. I think all the flashers add drag though. I don't really think the zig zags matter as much as finding and staying on the school's. Troll for the jumpers.
Great advice appreciate it! Got one sock and 2 springs… 60-80 for Sox or what’s everyone doing for depth?

Fished 6:30-10. Got two at 47 in the pack 15 & 21. Lost another 6 or so good ones, throw in a few more that didn’t stick. Ran 7” herring because the chovies were all blown out.

Had a peeler right off the clip at 37. Got the rod in hand, never stopped running. Screaming. Went limp. Fresh well lubricated 40’ flouro, totally caved in the teaser head. Gave me the shakes

Attachments

• E1D732E9-ABBA-4F26-A1FC-335BB07CD2D3.jpeg
    E1D732E9-ABBA-4F26-A1FC-335BB07CD2D3.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 200
Fished 6:30-10. Got two at 47 in the pack 15 & 21. Lost another 6 or so good ones, throw in a few more that didn’t stick. Ran 7” herring because the chovies were all blown out.

Had a peeler right off the clip at 37. Got the rod in hand, never stopped running. Screaming. Went limp. Fresh well lubricated 40’ flouro, totally caved in the teaser head. Gave me the shakes
Is that a chunk missing from the teaser head?

Hey there. Just plotting to get out tomorrow. The weather forecast is not hot, especially for my small boat. How are the conditions RIGHT NOW?...just trying to compare what I am seeing on line with some real-time observations. I am thinking Fraser mouth or fishing by the Capilano. Looking on-line, my guess it is getting lumpy out there. Please and thank you ahead of time for any info!
Cheers, Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back