2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

any further news on this runaway boat in English Bay?
So the guy rented a boat from Granville Island and was a daily renter apparently.
He went to Bowen and on his way back the boat slowed down pretty far out off Lighthouse Park. Then the boat continued on to wherever it was intercepted. All lifejackets and phone on board. Haven't found him yet.

Last edited:
So the guy rented a boat from Granville Island and was a daily renter apparently.
He went to Bowen and on his way back the boat slowed down pretty far out off Lighthouse Park. Then continued on to wherever it was intercepted. All lifejackets and phone on board. Haven't found him yet.
Scary. Hit a big log maybe? That area is full of them.

Hopefully buddys alright. Thats a long cold swim back to shore.
I believe there is a statistic that shows how many guys go overboard from taking a bathroom break out the back or side of a boat while in gear. Sadly the survival rate is not good. How many here take off their life jacket for the bathroom break on boats without a washroom?

Though to sneak out last night for a quick fish. Weather was beautiful and water was calm. Fished HITW (sunset marina to horseshoe bay). Was out from 5-8 and was rewarded with 6 hits and 3 in the boat tagged and sampled. Funny thing was previous trip nothing seemed to be working for flasher/lure combos. For laughs I picked the oddest flasher/lure I had and wouldn't you know it was getting hits. Used it last night and 5/6 were on it again. Moral of the story never be afraid to experiment as the results can be surprising.
with it being catch and release always fun to try something you dont normally use and see what happens experiment a bit even for fun run a dummy flasher off the cannonball and a naked spoon

I'm going out this weekend. I've only been out three times since the end of April. Wife had a baby, my house reno is far from complete and im slammed at work. Plus i managed to pull the boat out and bottom paint it. Life is ruining my fishing. Last time I went out was the westvan patch the dfo graciously granted us. Skunkcity.
I'll be crossing over to Thrasher. I was thinking about dropping traps off passage on route. Do you think it's pointless? I normally get 60-100 prawns per trap I'd be fine with 20 per trap. I'm more curious and assume the commercial guys are wrapping up by now.
never know unless u try worth a shot

What a nightmare

Man I ripped right through there as the gigantic Holland America petri dish headed out to Alaska.

Also, there is just a crazy amount of river debris all over the straits. Whole trees, tons of roots and 2 boom heading south too. Managed to make it unscathed but plenty of wheel whips in avoidance.

Man I ripped right through there as the gigantic Holland America petri dish headed out to Alaska.

Also, there is just a crazy amount of river debris all over the straits. Whole trees, tons of roots and 2 boom heading south too. Managed to make it unscathed but plenty of wheel whips in avoidance.
peach tree dish?

I'm going out this weekend. I've only been out three times since the end of April. Wife had a baby, my house reno is far from complete and im slammed at work. Plus i managed to pull the boat out and bottom paint it. Life is ruining my fishing. Last time I went out was the westvan patch the dfo graciously granted us. Skunkcity.
I'll be crossing over to Thrasher. I was thinking about dropping traps off passage on route. Do you think it's pointless? I normally get 60-100 prawns per trap I'd be fine with 20 per trap. I'm more curious and assume the commercial guys are wrapping up by now.
Drop them off Gabriola and you can keep an eye on them while you fish would be my advice.

Commercial prawning wraps up today

Did HITW for a few hours on Friday, had a break in Horseshoe Bay and played tourist for half an hour, and then Bowen waterfall to Tunstall for a couple more hours, targeting hatchery oncorhynchus kisutch. Some very chunky oncorhynchus tshawytscha incidental catch, so many of these around and they are fighting well above their weight class. Water is so dirty right now, which includes crap on the surface everywhere. Be extra alert when at the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back