2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out to the hump today for poops and giggles, then headed into Horseshoe Bay and unfortunately ran into this floating in the water. I called conservation and they started a file on it but said just to leave it and let nature take its course because it had been dead for a while. The talons were still perfect looking though. They did ask that I hold onto my photos for a while in case they call me after the file gets to the person responsible for this.

View attachment 80450View attachment 80451View attachment 80449
Anything interesting at the Hump?

Not uncommon for eagles to drown, especially if they are too far from land to swim to shore. seen several eagles swim to shore and climb out on the rock.

Their talons aren’t designed to let go after they grab something in the water until they land. Could have grabbed something too big or awkwardly which pulled it into the water.

Talked to some arm of the provincial government today, they told me the Avian flu thing is huge right now, their call volume is way up on dead birds.

i went for a scout yesterday off bowen for some coho for a couple hours at first light no coho so switched over to sampling some springs hooked into a few springs biggest was 20 pounds topped off the day with 8 keeper crab was a fun day thinking still a couple more weeks for the coho to show up off bowen

i went for a scout yesterday off bowen for some coho for a couple hours at first light no coho so switched over to sampling some springs hooked into a few springs biggest was 20 pounds topped off the day with 8 keeper crab was a fun day thinking still a couple more weeks for the coho to show up off bowen
Are you part of the avid angler program? I'm not saying this because I care about what you're doing. I'm just wondering if you actually ended up getting set up for it. I heard of people applying but never heard if they actually were registered in the end.

Beauty day last Thursday on the water so I took my dad out. Ran from north arm all the way up to Secret Cove. We were going to fish north of Gower Point and the water was so flat we just kept running. Figured I'd post here because there's not much else going on and who is against a photo of a happy old guy and a fish?

Got this hatchery fish off the E side of Epsom Point, in 70' of water, at 60' on the downrigger. Two bigs runs pulling out line. Taped out at 71cms. Released and took off in a shot. Lots of fish around too. We lost 3 others and we got a couple of lings in an hour of fishing. 30+ knots all the way back in time for dinner.

1654636279789.png

I went back to him a few times last year but nothing. I wouldn't be much good this season anyway, swamped with work. Although I am gonna make a run for egmont tomorrow for an epic 2 day tour...yaaahooo!
I was in egmont a couple weeks ago and landed a nice 14lb hatch. (A very white spring)There are def fish around.

Attachments

• E394625F-6AFE-426A-AC0A-70B76D7F1B69.jpeg
    E394625F-6AFE-426A-AC0A-70B76D7F1B69.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 156
I'm going out this weekend. I've only been out three times since the end of April. Wife had a baby, my house reno is far from complete and im slammed at work. Plus i managed to pull the boat out and bottom paint it. Life is ruining my fishing. Last time I went out was the westvan patch the dfo graciously granted us. Skunkcity.
I'll be crossing over to Thrasher. I was thinking about dropping traps off passage on route. Do you think it's pointless? I normally get 60-100 prawns per trap I'd be fine with 20 per trap. I'm more curious and assume the commercial guys are wrapping up by now.

Though to sneak out last night for a quick fish. Weather was beautiful and water was calm. Fished HITW (sunset marina to horseshoe bay). Was out from 5-8 and was rewarded with 6 hits and 3 in the boat tagged and sampled. Funny thing was previous trip nothing seemed to be working for flasher/lure combos. For laughs I picked the oddest flasher/lure I had and wouldn't you know it was getting hits. Used it last night and 5/6 were on it again. Moral of the story never be afraid to experiment as the results can be surprising.

Attachments

• 20220603_190901.jpg
    20220603_190901.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back