2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
New to fishing. Went out on Sunday afternoon around the “bell buoy” in Vancouver. Used a purple and gold flasher with a pink and white hoochie at 50’ depth on the downrigger. At around 530pm, 1 hour after low tide, a large coho hit our line - started pulling out line right away. We got it up beside the boat, but I lost it trying to get it into the net. Did I mention that I’m new to fishing?! Continued for another hour, but no bites.
Was it a hatchery or wild coho?

Any coho report off south Bowen or west Van? Life and current regulations interfering with fishing time in a big way this year so far but thinking of heading out Monday night for the evening slack.

Did 6 hours in glorious conditions yesterday at South Bowen as a guest with @Gator. More time near Cowan than CRC, and the boats were out for sure. We could see one or two boats at the hump. Lots of fish on the screen, good thing we didn’t have a family to feed though. Do dogfish count?

Where is there an accurate test fishery count?
The site I have shows only 6 fish caught since May and those were all Chinook and surprisingly only 5 sturgeon
With numbers this low I would expect that the Orcas should being found dead all over the place

Where is there an accurate test fishery count?
The site I have shows only 6 fish caught since May and those were all Chinook and surprisingly only 5 sturgeon
With numbers this low I would expect that the Orcas should being found dead all over the place
I doubt anything out of the Fraser is close to accurate with the river levels this past month. Was pretty ridiculous out sturgeon fishing couple weeks back. Even worse now, But I’m no expert

Edit: off hump cruising around for coho. Just”others” so far. Nice day

Had good day today at Gower point area 29-1 trolled down to Camp Byng and back-forth all day . 5 keeper crab (somebody been pulling claws off some including smalls -a bit "tacky" IMO) , 200 prawn and finally first of the season , first ever 5-6 pound chrome hatchery Coho! Absolute accident, as buddy was setting our rods, - stacked, cable was pulled close at 38 feet, ready to clip his line on the top stack postilion and go down - and bang! - Fish on my shallow, half-set bottom rod. Before he got scotty release clipped on, handy for clearing the rod - wasn't out yet!
Handed me my old favorite technium rod and was a good jumpy fish, and first salmon of the year in the cooler ( yay!, we weren't skunked again!) . Was caught on a 3.5" "Boone" UV Green Haze Hoochie behind chartreuse glow flasher. Again at only 38 feet, middle of setting ( fluke) . Rest of day only 3 Jack springs - so pretty slow and quite a few dogs. Dogs seem heavier than normal - not sure what's up with that. Wasted bunch of bait on them - annoying. But was dead calm sunny glorious day. Nice pulling traps when not getting beat up by big waves! Fish was a bit too small to be "picture worthy", but one fish is better than no fish!

Had good day today at Gower point area 29-1 trolled down to Camp Byng and back-forth all day . 5 keeper crab (somebody been pulling claws off some including smalls -a bit "tacky" IMO) , 200 prawn and finally first of the season , first ever 5-6 pound chrome hatchery Coho! Absolute accident, as buddy was setting our rods, - stacked, cable was pulled close at 38 feet, ready to clip his line on the top stack postilion and go down - and bang! - Fish on my shallow, half-set bottom rod. Before he got scotty release clipped on, handy for clearing the rod - wasn't out yet!
Handed me my old favorite technium rod and was a good jumpy fish, and first salmon of the year in the cooler ( yay!, we weren't skunked again!) . Was caught on a 3.5" "Boone" UV Green Haze Hoochie behind chartreuse glow flasher. Again at only 38 feet, middle of setting ( fluke) . Rest of day only 3 Jack springs - so pretty slow and quite a few dogs. Dogs seem heavier than normal - not sure what's up with that. Wasted bunch of bait on them - annoying. But was dead calm sunny glorious day. Nice pulling traps when not getting beat up by big waves! Fish was a bit too small to be "picture worthy", but one fish is better than no fish!
You set stacked gear 38’ apart? Also nice work on fish

Sounds like a Chapman creek fish headed home a bit early. I'm not far from there and I find coho a bit later into July, shallow and tight to shore. Where did you find the dogs? More into the middle of the bay? I never see them in that area, occasionally north of the RC jetty but I find that means I'm too close to shore and going too slow.

Sounds like you had a great day, I will be back around there July 17 can't wait...

You set stacked gear 38’ apart? Also nice work on fish
Thanks not my proudest catch, but made my day in these heavily regulated times to catch a legal fish . And regarding stacking, yes we do, 100% of the time pretty much, I crimped hard brass stack points right to the cable, as the plastic cable stops slide otherwise. And then we stagger, with one side deeper that the other for a good "spread" . So for example: 52/90. 32/70 for good coverage every 20 feet, from 30-90 feet until we find the fish. We just came up with 38 over last 30 years fishing as a team = closer sometimes caught bottom line. Tight lines sir!

Sounds like a Chapman creek fish headed home a bit early. I'm not far from there and I find coho a bit later into July, shallow and tight to shore. Where did you find the dogs? More into the middle of the bay? I never see them in that area, occasionally north of the RC jetty but I find that means I'm too close to shore and going too slow.

Sounds like you had a great day, I will be back around there July 17 can't wait...
We fished in water 80 to 150 ft. deep - middle of bay close to shore- all over. . Dogs are all over water temp warm 68, and yes - you are right we may have been too slow in turns sometimes, as we were doing "Charlie White's" = zig-zags driving like drunks' on purpose = changing speed and direction like he recommends in his books and laugh a bit at it. Sometimes works and we pick up fish in the turn so what the heck! We do Charlie turns all time, when the bite is slow to try and get some action happening..

Last edited:

We fished in water 80 to 150 ft. deep - middle of bay close to shore- all over. . Dogs are all over water temp warm 68, and yes - you are right we may have been too slow in turns sometimes, as we were doing "Charlie White's" = zig-zags driving like drunks' on purpose = changing speed and direction like he recommends in his books and laugh a bit at it. Sometimes works and we pick up fish in the turn so what the heck! We do Charlie turns all time, when the bite is slow to try and get some action happening..

I like north of the byng sign and half way to RC jetty...I've found that tack works great and I like how you stack. Just don't get too drawn to shore, lots of ghost traps and traps with Dixie cups for bouys haha

nice i was at gower got a beauty 8 lb hatchery coho released a few beauty springs while trying for coho was that u in the bigger boat i was in the white campion explorer 542 got my coho at 65 feet on the outfitter skinny g no love for the hootchies outfitter was on fire

nice i was at gower got a beauty 8 lb hatchery coho released a few beauty springs while trying for coho was that u in the bigger boat i was in the white campion explorer 542 got my coho at 65 feet on the outfitter skinny g no love for the hootchies outfitter was on fire
Yes was so us Jim, Hi! Thanks for tip on the skinny-g , Good job on the 8 pounder! Beats my 6. but looks like a few Coho moving in so will try the S-G on 2 rods and the Boone UV green/silver hoochie on the other 2 and let you know which picks up more this coming weekend. See you out there, Suspect this conversation may bring some friends.

Cheers mate,

Yes was so us Jim, Hi! Thanks for tip on the skinny-g , Good job on the 8 pounder! Beats my 6. but looks like a few Coho moving in so will try the S-G on 2 rods and the Boone UV green/silver hoochie on the other 2 and let you know which picks up more this coming weekend. See you out there, Suspect this conversation may bring some friends.

Cheers mate,
Sounds good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back