2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if Pacific Cod are fair game to keep?

Caught one bouncing the muddy/sandy bottom between Curtis and Tunstall.

Must’ve been dragging it for awhile as it was dead when I pulled rods to leave so I bonked it.

About 4 pounds and mighty tasty for a meal for 1-2 people.

Just want to know if I were to ever catch one again (or perhaps even target them) and it’s alive if I should release or bonk it.

DFOs website is so (or at least I think it is) poorly put together with regards to finding information on species retention in specific areas during what time period, and even if you do manage to find a FN the wording is often confusing. So I’ll default to the experts here in the forum.

Must’ve been dragging it for awhile as it was dead when I pulled rods to leave so I bonked it.

Just want to know if I were to ever catch one again (or perhaps even target them) and it’s alive if I should release or bonk it.

DFOs website is so (or at least I think it is) poorly put together with regards to finding information on species retention in specific areas during what time period, and even if you do manage to find a FN the wording is often confusing. So I’ll default to the experts here in the forum.
i use those for crab bait they work awesome

Bumpers out babyyyyyy, caught in the act lol
Lol. Needed those bumpers out to block off those waves. Had to turn on the main cause the kicker couldn't hold the line. Total focused on not blowing sideways hoping I don't get a hit. Didn't happen! She popped the clip and goes for a long run. One hand trying to steer and the other holding hard on the rod trying to keep pressure. 10 mins working both. Managed to bring her in. A beautiful 66 cm fatty. Very challenging running solo.one to tell the grandkids for sure.
The tug is my drug.

Lol. Needed those bumpers out to block off those waves. Had to turn on the main cause the kicker couldn't hold the line. Total focused on not blowing sideways hoping I don't get a hit. Didn't happen! She popped the clip and goes for a long run. One hand trying to steer and the other holding hard on the rod trying to keep pressure. 10 mins working both. Managed to bring her in. A beautiful 66 cm fatty. Very challenging running solo.one to tell the grandkids for sure.
The tug is my drug.
Same, howling winds laughed at the kicker.

I was out for an hour tonight at HITW. I feel the pain … out solo with the dogo and the panther unit broken and no hydraulics for the kicker in 8kph wind = a tough go

switching to the main probably was the play but I said screw it and picked up and left

Wow, that's cool, now I'm pretty interested in targeting new species.

Since salmon is closed around here I'd love to go and try to catch pac cod.

Does anybody know how to catch them? I mean lure, depth and tide.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Go out to the hump and troll anything small around little slower than you normally would. Ask @Rain City though. He’s the Hump-man and more recently the Ling King albeit the wrong cod your looking for. It’s also never too early to post the first pic of a hatch ho off west van in 2022. Followed by 50 boats the next day.

There was also a nice hali caught last weekend during the Galiano Salmon Classic in southern gulf islands so you’ve got another excuse for what your targeting. :D

Go out to the hump and troll anything small around little slower than you normally would. Ask @Rain City though. He’s the Hump-man and more recently the Ling King albeit the wrong cod your looking for. It’s also never too early to post the first pic of a hatch ho off west van in 2022. Followed by 50 boats the next day.

There was also a nice hali caught last weekend during the Galiano Salmon Classic in southern gulf islands so you’ve got another excuse for what your targeting. :D
Some coho have showed up up north not in any sort of numbers but there coming your way about a month early up here

Thanks.
they make excellent crab bait

Went out to the hump today for poops and giggles, then headed into Horseshoe Bay and unfortunately ran into this floating in the water. I called conservation and they started a file on it but said just to leave it and let nature take its course because it had been dead for a while. The talons were still perfect looking though. They did ask that I hold onto my photos for a while in case they call me after the file gets to the person responsible for this.

67ECD270-44E6-48F7-96F2-4BCDD62E1D12.jpegF706C86D-0DF5-42B3-88DB-2792E2BFB965.jpeg9546B6E4-AB5D-45C7-BDC1-9BE3AD2F1378.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back