2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

The inline is good
Try the other downrigger on that side and see if it works ok. If it does then likely the rigger.
Maybe check and see how well the spool turns. It could have cable or braid wrapped around the spool underneath if you had to cut any of the line.
Brake could have the little plastic knobs out of position, causing the spool to bee jammed.

Just hit a pink on a dipsy diver with a no bananas spoon. My rigger isn't working. Had a big tangle yesterday and the power seems shot. Anyone got any ideas?
Under side of the Downrigger, remove the 6ish screws in the motor housing. Look for this part, mine was severely corroded.

Put in a shift NA for the high tide last night. My buddy fought and released a wild coho that smacked his chovy while tuning his roll. Other than that 1 pink and 4 crab

I live in Gibsons and am too lazy to run to NA or SH. In the last few days with morning tides I’ve fished Gower, Popum, Salmon Rick, east side of Bowen and way out South of Bowen. Nothing but shakers and smaller 3-4 lb Chinook. Not seeing any pinks or Coho.
Any other areas I should check out on this end?

I live in Gibsons and am too lazy to run to NA or SH. In the last few days with morning tides I’ve fished Gower, Popum, Salmon Rick, east side of Bowen and way out South of Bowen. Nothing but shakers and smaller 3-4 lb Chinook. Not seeing any pinks or Coho.
Any other areas I should check out on this end?
I spoke to the local guys and the pink run at the Furry Creek has been pretty slim this year, so not much happening on the east side of Gambier/ Porteau Cove. You might hit some Squamish bound Chinook but I wouldn’t expect much. If you’re trolling in the south east side of Bowen, you may want to give Cowan and Point Atkinson a shot. There might be some early Cap Chinooks out there.
On the west side, Roberts Creek and Camp Byng may still be producing but it’d be slim pickings at this point in the season.

Last edited:
Anyone hitting anything this morning? Trying to decide between fishing the afternoon flood and putting a batch of ribs on the smoker.

Anyone hitting anything this morning? Trying to decide between fishing the afternoon flood and putting a batch of ribs on the smoker.
I’m planning to take some younger kids out this afternoon and try our luck for pinks, likely trolling from t10 to the bell. Flood tide should be good this pm but my vote is for the smoked ribs and bourbon. There’s still fish to be caught tomorrow.

I’m planning to take some younger kids out this afternoon and try our luck for pinks, likely trolling from t10 to the bell. Flood tide should be good this pm but my vote is for the smoked ribs and bourbon. There’s still fish to be caught tomorrow.
Dead at sandheads. 2 unders in 2.5 hrs.

Dead at sandheads. 2 unders in 2.5 hrs.
With these rains , figuring they probable shot up the river and might take till next weekend for another to come in ... Chins that is but what do I know only fished the sandheads for 30 years , oh and with the orcas out there fish close as they will probable be hugging the beaches if any are still left out there. Sept can be great time of the year or a bust all depends on the wind, rain, orca and mother nature . But all in all its more than the catch we all know that, so be safe and tight lines !!! ENJOY

Back