2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Tons of bait at T10. Boiling on the surface too but no bites and did not see anything caught. Beautiful evening out here. Back at it tomorrow.
View attachment 70014View attachment 70015
Same here. Was out at T10 and North Arm all afternoon and evening. Nothing other than a pink. Tried three depths, bait, hoochies. Definitely a disappointing season opening so far. Didn't see any nets out.

Fished SH to T10 today, 7am to 6pm. Not much in morning. Released 1 sox. Bite did come on 230pm for 1 hour or so, few pinks, released 6lbs wild cohoe, kept 12 wht spring. All action around green can, 30 to 40ft on DR. 110-150 ft of water. Anchovies are only things that worked for us. Thats it?
Killer whales came by around 1030am.

Last edited:
Trolled NA 10-6.. 1 chinook lost by the boat, 1 dogfish and a shaker all in the first hour, then not a sniff.... may try chovies next time but I wonder if dogfish and shakers will make it too difficult.

5 ! Did you have 2 on each line and a single or 5 separate traps and boys, and they are all gone? ! That is insane! We go crabbing now and hang by the traps or we go fishing because of this sh-t!
Update, one of my traps was found free floating yesterday. Dont know the details yet, but I was concerned about the ripping tides when I dropped them, also about the tugs that plow that area. Ive dropped there before without any issues, but they will be closer to shore next time. Steep learning curve to this obsession.

Trolled from the bell to NA, 12:30-7:30. Had a nice hit on a naked anchovy in 150’ of water that peeled line but lost it on the surface. After that, a couple of pinks, a red hatchery watermelon that was carefully released after hitting the starboard rigger clip and an endless supply of feeder Chinook that terrorized my $1.69/pop anchovies. Tried different depths, from 150-400’ and switched from bait to hootchies and spoons and back to the cured bait. Saw a couple of nets out at the high slack but overall it was pretty slow for everyone.
Another beautiful sunset with a hint of skunk in the air. Covered a lot of grounds in 7 hours but not a sniff. It’s been the slowest first week of September that I can remember. Back at it again tomorrow. The forecasted rain for tonight and a big swing tide could change the fishing for better.

Saw lots of marks 150’ and below around NA . I was staying above the 100 mark all day . Wonder if I should have tried deeper .

Saw lots of marks 150’ and below around NA . I was staying about the 100 mark all day . Wonder if I should have tried deeper .
When it’s slow, you start questioning your techniques, depths, quality of your bait and also the leader line diameter. When there’s more fish and they’re biting, almost everyone can catch them in all depths. It’s just been a slow start for most people that I’ve been talking to. Let’s wait for the wave of the whities and things will get better.

Last edited:
Got out from 12-7 yesterday solo from NA to T-10 and back again. Lost a pink at the T-10 as he bounced off my swim grid (didn't bother with the net), that hit my chovie in teaser while it was on top as I worked on getting the other side ready. Around 6 lost a nice teener at the side of the boat at the NA when just about to net. Released a just under and that was it! Most people I spoke with got nothing out there. Kinda slow so far. Back out Sunday with the kid to help.

Oh yeah, a member who I will not name at this time caught the catch of the season, by far:

View attachment 70018

Which I ripped right past on my run in...good times.
We hooked one of these on Wednesday on the shallow rod, it came straight to the surface and ripped around like a coho, twisting and weaving without really taking a good run. After already losing one chinook near the boat I was nervous my rookie on the net would mess it up. Sure enough it rolled as I tried to lead it into the net and was gone.
I was so gutted!
Their backs are so bright green for this time of year. I think mine was a hatchery not sure on this one?

Bell buoy to NA yesterday 2-7pm. 4 or 5 small shakers. Missed one decent fish. Tough fishing. Didn’t see a net anywhere. Looks like everyone was having a tough go. Hopefully Sunday better.

Sunrise coming down the Fraser river yesterday, fished North to T10 one coho 1 spring, turned up the speed for coho's missed a few others, man they like it fast, day off today re set gear and brain loll... this slow fishery really makes you step up your game the perfect roll the perfect speed
the perfect water the perfect breathing... usually lazy fishing and catch.. but that one fish you catch is priceless
IMG_3571.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG91A87473-3659-4725-BBAB-50414C854277.JPG

Back