2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Any sense in ripping over to thrasher for salmon? We are hoping to get a ling or two before the seasons over.

sandheads boys stick it out. t10 was bust except two 18-20s early last sept. I would stick to the can just troll 70' head out into 300' maintain 70-100'.

Been a lurker here since 2013 and feeding off of all your guys super fishing powers so here’s my first report. Fished sandheads 3-7. Lots of pinks and jacks. Used the good ol’ CT humpy special which slayed the pinks, kids loved it. Used meat and a white hoochie on the other side that the jacks loved but their larger siblings no so much. Fished 45-80 on the rigger in 300’ away from the pack. Good day to be out either way, will be out first light tomorrow!
How do you guys fish your DR line angles for chinook? If I troll at 2.5 mph but my lines are starting to blow back due to current but I slow down to 1.5 mph to get it within 45-30 degrees am I now going to slow? TIA

Been a lurker here since 2013 and feeding off of all your guys super fishing powers so here’s my first report. Fished sandheads 3-7. Lots of pinks and jacks. Used the good ol’ CT humpy special which slayed the pinks, kids loved it. Used meat and a white hoochie on the other side that the jacks loved but their larger siblings no so much. Fished 45-80 on the rigger in 300’ away from the pack. Good day to be out either way, will be out first light tomorrow!
How do you guys fish your DR line angles for chinook? If I troll at 2.5 mph but my lines are starting to blow back due to current but I slow down to 1.5 mph to get it within 45-30 degrees am I now going to slow? TI
How do you guys fish your DR line angles for chinook? If I troll at 2.5 mph but my lines are starting to blow back due to current but I slow down to 1.5 mph to get it within 45-30 degrees am I now going to slow? TIA
You’re boat is a moving object in a moving ocean. All in the angle

A better fisherman than myself showed me recently how often one should be checking the roll. Before you drop, check the roll. Change direction, check the roll. Change speed, check the roll. Haven't caught anything in 7 minutes? Check the roll. It really is insanity but I'm sure I've fished long tacks before without the bait spinning at all.

Hey magic box. If you get in a bit closer to the pack you will usually see that the boats going in opposite directions are going at way different speeds due to the current.
like Raincity said check it before you drop and check it going each way and keep the angle consistent on the cable, that is the best indicator of the speed your gear is going.
it is easier to troll with the current and you cover more ground and catch more fish. So if the current is really ripping you can always pick up your gear and go up current then fish back down current.
With so many 12” salmon around checking your gear every 15 mins or more is a good idea. Leave your gear in the clip when checking it or you waste too much time. Of course I often break that 15 min rule and after half an hour find my bait is not working properly for one reason or another :-/
Good luck.

Last edited:
Under side of the Downrigger, remove the 6ish screws in the motor housing. Look for this part, mine was severely corroded.
This says it's for the 1100 series. Anyone know exactly what the equivalent is for the 2100 HP?

Fished this up near T10. 6 inch plug. These are gigantic, are these for the tyee’s? Haha 0 salmon but caught some gear at least…0F3865F5-37F0-4673-97B9-B10337AA78C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Fished Gower again for this last slack tide. Very slow.. a couple of pan fry and a 35 cm Spring which hit the Pink Squirt on a Herring Glow flasher. I ran through almost all my gear including this old Tuna plug that was my Dad’s in the Sea of Cortez…no hits on it but I though what the hell ( I didn’t give it much time). It’s a good thing I love being on my boat more than catching fish… at least I think I do…. Yeah, I do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 119
Back