2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

No love for me in west van today. Tried multiple colour hootchies , tried anchovies tried a couple spoons . Quite frankly I’ve always busted out of west van. Must be something I’m doing wrong . Saw lots of marks on the sounder today. Any one have any luck today?

Still plenty of pink action at Cowan point, took some rookies out for pre-chinook-season training. 8 for 14 in 4 hours, typical gear and depths for pinky’s. more fun times on the BC coast!
The cat food thing is funny, granted… but srlsy you boys need to learn to cook/smoke/get creative. Nobody saying it’s a spring or sockeye, but it’s still fresh west coast seafood, we’re not that bloody snobby are we? The sh**’s delicious if you know what you’re doing.

Attachments

• 279A280A-DC61-41DB-B8E5-21F4346702F8.jpeg
    279A280A-DC61-41DB-B8E5-21F4346702F8.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 04B67E0A-6891-45D2-9153-99F2EECA7A76.jpeg
    04B67E0A-6891-45D2-9153-99F2EECA7A76.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Slow at west van for me as well. 4 pinks to the boat (I don’t have a cat so they all went back in), 1 undersized Chinook and a hatch coho that fell for a white hootchie right before high tide. It was a beautiful evening and sunset. Some rain in the forecast. Tomorrow afternoon should be better.

1629606375188.jpeg

Last edited:
On my 8th pink double of the day, I started to question my direction in life. It was insane, then a few undersized springs and a wild coho. I was further up out deeper off Gower and west.

Seems like the word is out that west van might have fish, must have been 3,000 boats out there.

On my 8th pink double of the day, I started to question my direction in life. It was insane, then a few undersized springs and a wild coho. I was further up out deeper off Gower and west.

Seems like the word is out that west van might have fish, must have been 3,000 boats out there.
There were more boat than fish in the ocean. Most fizzled out after 3pm. At one point it felt like the entire army of the upper Fraser bottom bouncers were in west van today. What’s with the guys running in full speed to stop right in the middle of the tack and then sit idle for 30 minutes? Anyone saw the yahoo in the red aluminum boat that jumped in the water after they landed a fish? What’s with people these days??

Last edited:
There were more boat than fish in the ocean. Most fizzled out after 3pm. At one point it felt like the entire community of upper Fraser bottom bouncing army were in west van today. What’s with the guys running in full speed to stop right in the middle of the tack and then sit idle for 30 minutes? Anyone saw the yahoo in the red aluminum boat that jumped in the water after they landed a fish? What’s with people these days??

The cap fishery has expanded west, and three weeks early...thanks, covid or whatever else you deem appropriate.

No love for me in west van today. Tried multiple colour hootchies , tried anchovies tried a couple spoons . Quite frankly I’ve always busted out of west van. Must be something I’m doing wrong . Saw lots of marks on the sounder today. Any one have any luck today?
Was a doozie in WV for me too. Didn't get any bites other than undersized. Didn't see many other nets out either though. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong ...

The secret is go fishing every day from sun up, meticulously prepare your gear, fish to a plan and work the plan hard. And then take sweet sweet video of it all.
Well I’m doing it all wrong then. Should of just went and target pinks they eat anything :D
I agree he’s got some awesome footage .

Slow at west van for me as well. 4 pinks to the boat (I don’t have a cat so they all went back in), 1 undersized Chinook and a hatch coho that fell for a white hootchie right before high tide. It was a beautiful evening and sunset. Some rain in the forecast. Tomorrow afternoon should be better.

View attachment 69543
there was an uptick the first couple weeks in Aug at the cap/wv (springs). Landed some nice fish.
Fished cap Friday evening flood. It was prime time . Pulled out all stops. Landed 3 magnificent
Dog Fish. Bow Bow Bow.
Anybody have good recipes ?haha
Looking forward to next wave. Im sure sept. will be hot at usual. ???

We finally got out yesterday. South end of Bowen. 7:30 to 3. It was pretty lumpy around 11 - 1. We were able to land 5 pinks (missed 4), 1 Coho (clipped) and 1 nice sockeye. So sad to let her go. :( Also caught 9 crabs (all male but 1) 1 keeper. No bad for 1st day of the season.

I was thinking of going out today but I woke up and the wind was howling so I crawled back into bed.

Boxed 2 pinks, South bowen
Lost 3 pinks north bowen
Released coho South bowen
1 sea sick companion South bowen
Rescued tandem kayakers hut island

Attachments

• 20210822_154949.jpg
    20210822_154949.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210822_154437.jpg
    20210822_154437.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 195