2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

RC I had one of your types of days yesterday. Slogged it from 6:30 till around 2:30. Had an 18lb ball just drop of my tuna cord at about 40' so no snags. Got a severe tangle with 4 lines trying to turn in the middle of that wind. Just too slow and couldn't cut the the turn. One small pink to show for my efforts. Tough day. What can you do. I thought about you and just chuckled. You're probably right though, gotta be some payback.
Got to meet Jim Sweet though. That was worth the day right there.
nice meeting you too bro was happy least i took home that spring yesterday

Yeah buddy. Set those riggers down 30' or 70'. The number at cap mouth right now is off bottom bounce the cannon ball off the bottom. I know because ive been there. Late in the season oct 1 70'. All lines 70' 80'. Get out there try bell buoy just troll you have to cover ground the more youre out there youre going to hook up. Take it from someone who has been out there year after year. Time in is spring or coho whatever youre after. Coho 7km/hr. Spring dead slow 2.5/3 km/hr. Time out is never wasted but youre covering ground.

Now Im truly sorry. Karma. West van monday morning no love so pulling up gear to move to bowen when seaweed clogged rigger pully while i was tending the other side. stripped the belt and the drive gear. Still fished bowen using rigger manually, but again no love, but the worst was losing 5 crab traps by ubc. Great day, but ill save my smart butt comments for the wife from now on, scouts honor.

Now Im truly sorry. Karma. West van monday morning no love so pulling up gear to move to bowen when seaweed clogged rigger pully while i was tending the other side. stripped the belt and the drive gear. Still fished bowen using rigger manually, but again no love, but the worst was losing 5 crab traps by ubc. Great day, but ill save my smart butt comments for the wife from now on, scouts honor.
Lost how, like stolen?

5 ! Did you have 2 on each line and a single or 5 separate traps and boys, and they are all gone? ! That is insane! We go crabbing now and hang by the traps or we go fishing because of this sh-t!
Same as in Nanaimo

5 ! Did you have 2 on each line and a single or 5 separate traps and boys, and they are all gone? ! That is insane! We go crabbing now and hang by the traps or we go fishing because of this sh-t!
5 separate traps and buoys, 2 were mine, 3 where buddys. Pretty flat sea when we went to pull them, spent 90 minutes looking.
Will have to come up with a better plan next time.

i find i always mark heavy in that area with no bites , screen is always lit up. it’s either those are ghost marks made by some strange currents , or they are lock jaw. i’m leaning towards ghost marks as they are always there for me
All dogs

i find i always mark heavy in that area with no bites , screen is always lit up. it’s either those are ghost marks made by some strange currents , or they are lock jaw. i’m leaning towards ghost marks as they are always there for me
I’m pretty sure they are lock jaw. I remember years ago fishing in Bamfield at the Wall year after year on the evening troll the screen would be totally lit with huge arches but nothing ever bit. Made you question wether your sounder was any good or not.

5 separate traps and buoys, 2 were mine, 3 where buddys. Pretty flat sea when we went to pull them, spent 90 minutes looking.
Will have to come up with a better plan next time.
I don’t even try over here, only in the gulf islands. Seems way more respect over there with traps… albeit it’s only a “select” few over here who poach. What does chasin dreams call those guys… oh yeah GOOGANS!!! Lol

Yup I lost 4 prawn traps in one shot at a cost of $1200. I bought 2 new ones for 600 (included 800 feet of rope). You cant leave your traps unattended.

Sorry, not a report. Im sure I am reading it wrong so I thought I'd ask. Is any area of 28 other than 28-6 open for springs?
Thanks

28-9 and 28-6 are open for springs ...slot limit 1 per day

As usual, DFO regs are clear as mud with the website / app in conflict with the FN.

I usually defer to the FN, which says that there is no slot for 28-9 - convince me otherwise…

Strait of Georgia South - Area 28 and 29 (with the exception of those portions of Areas 28 and 29 listed in the section below):
- Currently in effect to 23:59 hours July 31: Chinook non-retention;
- 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: 1 Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.
- 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: 2 Chinook per day.

Subarea 28-9
- Currently in effect to 23:59 hours August 12: No fishing for Chinook;
- 00:01 hours August 13 to 23:59 hours August 31, the daily limit for Chinook salmon is one(1) per day.
- Effective 00:01 hours September 1 until 23:59 hours December 31, the daily limit for Chinook salmon is two (2) per day

28-9:- no mention of the slot limit. I’d bonk fish over 62.5 cm. Let the f..er’s prove it in the court.

Back