2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Pinks are fun to catch and release. I always hope for a Coho or maybe a spring in the mix.
A friend of mine keeps them. He has a couple cats to feed.
you must have a lot of cats ?
Pinks are quite good cooked fresh in BBQ. Canned or smoked. If you freeze them to cook or BBQ later. They suck. Go to mush after frozen.

What a day. What a day.
Woke up at 4 AM
Had no coffee so drove around looking for somewhere open that serves coffee.
Realised there was nothing open until 5 AM so I settled with McDs.
Parked, ordered on the app, waited, waited, waited, walked to the door.
-SORRY WE'RE CLOSED- in sharpie on the door. Whatever.
4:30 AM. Tim's on 2nd?! Nope.
Fine, Siegel's it is. $35 for two bagels with smoked meat and two crappy coffees. Ugh.
Pay the bill.
-"It'll be a 10 minute wait for your drip coffee".
5:00 AM I finally have coffee.
Supposed to meet a buddy at 5:00 AM so now I'm rushing. Get to the boat, no buddy.
5:15 AM
5:30 AM
Screw it I'm going solo. Launch, get to the channel markers and floor it. Get up on plane, phone beeps.
"Where are you?!"
Turn around. Back to the gas dock to pick up buddy.
6:00 AM finally get to Cap to drop the lines.
Troll all the way to fisheries, nada.
Turn around, get a hit, buddy loses it.
Couple more turns but not a nibble. Pick up and head to the Bell to see if we can at least get some C&R action, has to be good.
Go to clip the Kone Zone on and it bounces off and lets go. $75 gone.
Drop a Herring and immediately get a hit. Dog.
Now the wind and waves pick up and a flasher with an old faithful, bent up and chipped No Bannanas spoon fall off the table and go in the drink $24 gone.
Another 2 hours fighting the wind. Nothing.
Get a hot tip to fish 50 feet at Caulfield Bay. Seems odd but sure. Little cliffy at that depth. Drop the lines but my spotter isn't spotting and we run into a crab trap. Cannon, parachord, swivel, clip... gone. $100.
Finally figure out @ab175is drunk at 10AM and sent me the wrong way. Move East and drop the lines again. Nothing for two more hours.
It's now 2:00 PM and I've fished for 8 hours with not a whiff of a salmon. Bring the gear up and forget theres now no stopper and hammer another cannon and clip into the rigger. Gone. $90.
Back to the dock $400 poorer.

Can't wait to get out there again.

What a day. What a day.
Woke up at 4 AM
Fine, Siegel's it is. $35 for two bagels with smoked meat and two crappy coffees. Ugh.
Pay the bill.
Supposed to meet a buddy at 5:00 AM so now I'm rushing. Get to the boat, no buddy.
Screw it I'm going solo. Launch, get to the channel markers and floor it. Get up on plane, phone beeps.
"Where are you?!"
Couple more turns but not a nibble. Pick up and head to the Bell to see if we can at least get some C&R action, has to be good.
Now the wind and waves pick up and a flasher with an old faithful, bent up and chipped No Bannanas spoon fall off the table and go in the drink $24 gone.
Get a hot tip to fish 50 feet at Caulfield Bay. Seems odd but sure. Little cliffy at that depth. Drop the lines but my spotter isn't spotting and we run into a crab trap. Cannon, parachord, swivel, clip... gone. $100.
Finally figure out @ab175is drunk at 10AM and sent me the wrong way. Move East and drop the lines again. Nothing for two more hours.
It's now 2:00 PM and I've fished for 8 hours with not a whiff of a salmon. Bring the gear up and forget theres now no stopper and hammer another cannon and clip into the rigger. Gone. $90.

Man lol I think you should call it a season at the rate your going.. all your **** will either be broken, lost or you will be friendless. I feel for yeah buddy I haven’t been out all year that’s how crappy it’s been for me!

What a day. What a day.
Woke up at 4 AM
Pay the bill.
"Where are you?!"

Sorry to hear about your sh..ty day.
Moral of the story: don’t give a 2nd chance to the guy that’s late for first light fishing or else you tangle your sh?.t with a crab trap. Nothing wrong with the hot tip that you got ;)

What a day. What a day.
Woke up at 4 AM
Pay the bill.
"Where are you?!"

I admire your determination RC, I would pff went back bed after the no coffee. Fished south Bowen this morning felt like a rubber duck in a washing machine but the pinks was plentiful and scrapy and 2 wild coho haven't hooked a hatchery all season, come on sept 1

What a day. What a day.
Woke up at 4 AM
Pay the bill.
"Where are you?!"

No coffee no fishing. It's the buddy's responsibility to make sure the skipper is caffenated!

No coffee no fishing. It's the buddy's responsibility to make sure the skipper is caffenated!
Ya dude never late for 2 things... fishing or work. Buddy should bring coffee or just home brew it. If he late sorry man next time invite someone else that will show up on time. Losing gear sucks. I did 2 cannon balls in a trip. My fault hit high performance dr botton to long and snap! F. I remember once I bought a new spoon all excited first thing to use it. Toss r over side. Oh **** I didn't clip flasher to mainline.

Pinks are fun to catch and release. I always hope for a Coho or maybe a spring in the mix.
A friend of mine keeps them. He has a couple cats to feed.
you must have a lot of cats ?
Ah no you see, this is my smoker batches to give to friends etc… so when it’s chinook season it all goes into my belly.
Srsly tho, it ain’t that bad fresh, direct to ice, direct to brine same day and smoke tomorrow. Bit of a labour of love tho

Amazing day yesterday!

I was introducing my buddy to saltwater fishing and it was awesome! Lost about 30 pinks, landed our limit. All the time double headers, don't remember single rod fish ON. Today feels like I was beaten by hooligans yesterday LoL.

Just one thing bothering me the whole day - so many fish lost, is it some pink specific soft mouth etc? I wonder if set some peace of rubber between flasher and leader like for kokanee is it going to improve quantity of landed fish?

Cheers :D

Last edited:
Amazing day yesterday!

I was introducing my buddy to saltwater fishing and it was awesome! Lost about 30 pinks, landed our limit. All the time double headers, don't remember single rod fish ON. Today feels like I was beaten by hooligans yesterday LoL.

Just one thing bothering me the whole day - so many fish lost, is it some pink specific soft mouth etc? I wonder if set some peace of rubber between flasher and leader like for kokanee is it going to improve quantity of landed fish?

Cheers :D
Losing pinks is more than half the fun ‍

Screw it I'm going solo.
Great post. I don’t know you but I love you so these are just my observations:

1. Mistake to leave home at 4:30 without caffeine. What where you thinking. On a Sunday morning???!
2. Pick up you friend on way to boat. Or call his/her cell phone before leaving dock. Ok. I don’t know all details. But once you’ve left the dock turn off your cell phone without any regrets.
3. Some days your destined to make money. Others days not so much.
4. Next time out you’re gonna slay them.

Great post. I don’t know you but I love you so these are just my observations:

1. Mistake to leave home at 4:30 without caffeine. What where you thinking. On a Sunday morning???!
2. Pick up you friend on way to boat. Or call his/her cell phone before leaving dock. Ok. I don’t know all details. But once you’ve left the dock turn off your cell phone without any regrets.
3. Some days your destined to make money. Others days not so much.
4. Next time out you’re gonna slay them.

free chartered fishing and he’s suppose to give a wake up call too lol

Christ

Today we got a slow start. Dropped lines in at Ambleside at approximately 800am. Troll up to lighthouse and back a few times. Spoons targeting the bottom most of the time on one side and hoochie at 35 feet on the other side. Nothing all day. Two missed hits on the 35 side.
Loved Rain Citys post.

Back