2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

The Albion test fishery must be using 8" to 10" gill nets.
According to that test fishery there have only been 155 sockeye, 0 pinks, 0 Coho, 0 Steelhead, 408 Chinook and only 26 sturgeon all year.
You would think that the river was sterilized or maybe that piscine virus has wiped out the stocks.
They had to sterilize the rivers in Norway because of the virus and escapement.

I know I have caught a few Atlantics in the wild over the years, all in the ocean though not in rivers.
They are weird to catch when you don't expect them, kind of hard to figure out when surprised, I didn't figure it out until I cooked them.
DFO didn't seem to want to know much, they were around 12 to 14 lbs. Very aggressive hits. Some had roe.
I believe the Albion Test is only for Chinook. Bruce's Market in Albion usually gets the contract to run that test. (good place to get roe when you need it)
The Pacific Salmon Commission website has more information along the lines of what you're looking for

click this link PSC Test reports - several locations

caught one bar fishing off island 22 in chilliwack bout 8-10 years ago ( back when we could fish the Fraser lol) but ugghhhh I would never eat an Atlantic salmon caught in our waters u know damn right it’s a diseased little rat likely escaped from one of the farms up noodles Chanel. Glad they are closing them.
Have you ever wondered what happens to the Coho that manage to get past the fishers at the mouth? Check out YouTube “Massacre on the Capilano”

Am I allowed to keep a chinook off Ambleside or not? View attachment 69279X
28-6 and 28-9 which is tight to fisheries and cap mouth is open for 80cm max. The rest is fraser closures the response I got from fisheries minister Bernadette Jordan was that they opened up retention is other area near Vancouver Island.

Large reds have been making their way up the fraser all of the summer. So there's fish out there and this is prime time for the cap fishery with a lot of coho around west van. And with the reports limiting out on pinks near cowan pt.

29-1 Gower point is open as well I caught a feeder spring there around this time. Few and far between though. This area I know a guy that got a 30lbs by camp byng early September. In area 29-1. But you're looking at an all day grind for 1 spring here.

Well, not exactly new news, but I hear Cowan’s hot for pinks right now. Sounder went berzerk often, never seen it like that. 10 for about 25-30…8am-2pm, all 40-60 on the rigger, quite the little pack out there today and lots of nets out.
I don’t remember them being so damn shaky sheesh. Finally found a little trick at the end of day… when they’re 20’ back and shaking at the surface, dip your rod tip 2’ under water, it sinks them back under and then just before the net lift em back up. Seemed to work… wil practice that next Saturday
That damn Can Tire humpy special is pretty effective too

Attachments

• 7B87052E-B335-4458-8252-F7171C1A1EB7.jpeg
    7B87052E-B335-4458-8252-F7171C1A1EB7.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 391943CE-D996-4A53-B04E-3E76113332FB.jpeg
    391943CE-D996-4A53-B04E-3E76113332FB.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Well, not exactly new news, but I hear Cowan’s hot for pinks right now. Sounder went berzerk often, never seen it like that. 10 for about 25-30…8am-2pm, all 40-60 on the rigger, quite the little pack out there today and lots of nets out.
I don’t remember them being so damn shaky sheesh. Finally found a little trick at the end of day… when they’re 20’ back and shaking at the surface, dip your rod tip 2’ under water, it sinks them back under and then just before the net lift em back up. Seemed to work… wil practice that next Saturday
South of Bowen island is also crazy for pinks. Got 4 in an hour, another 4 got away(ran away from our net).

My boat partner bought a Humpy Killer combo from Canadian Tire. I laughed when he brought it on board and I had zero faith in it. White flasher with no flash and it was already tied from swivel to double hook on a very large very bright pink hootchie. All I did was shorten the leader and pinch barbs. It out-fished the other 2 rods combined using pink squirt and 3rd rod was a mix pink squirt, white hoochie, no bananas skinny G.
Sounds like the cat is outta the bag on the humpy killer setup. No wonder they are sold out everywhere lol. Glad I stocked up.

Sounds like the cat is outta the bag on the humpy killer setup. No wonder they are sold out everywhere lol. Glad I stocked up.
any red / green flasher will work just fine. go with the old school methods. shortish leaders and pink squirts will fill your boat.

don’t always need to be the latest and greatest flavour gibbs delta is peddling this week

their mouths are super mush so don’t horse them either

Lots of mini-bait breezing around English Bay beaches the past few days I guess those are this year's Herring 2-3cm long.

any red / green flasher will work just fine. go with the old school methods. shortish leaders and pink squirts will fill your boat.

don’t always need to be the latest and greatest flavour gibbs delta is peddling this week

their mouths are super mush so don’t horse them either
Obviously you've never tried a humpy killer

ive seen that its disgusting
Have you ever wondered what happens to the Coho that manage to get past the fishers at the mouth? Check out YouTube “Massacre on the Capilano”
Yeah that’s an old video. It’s definitely disgusting
I was told at the time that it did it matter. the hatchery already had more than enough broodstock. So those fish would be culled. Still sad to see though

Pinks are fun to catch and release. I always hope for a Coho or maybe a spring in the mix.
A friend of mine keeps them. He has a couple cats to feed.
you must have a lot of cats ?

Obviously you've never tried a humpy killer
lol. to be fair no i haven’t. my young sons been targeting them in our local rivers with fly rods. less than a mile from the ocean and still holding sea lice. loads of fun!

a lot of people show disdain for the pinks. while definitely not my go to, a lot of us have cut our teeth on them and they are fine table fare if kept on ice and eaten right away. also great for the smoker. any pink bycatch goes to my mother who prefers their mild flavour.

Last edited:
Back