2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

28-6 opened Aug 1st to 1 slot a day
Read pacific angler report said something along those lines . Just looked on the fishing BC app and didn’t show that? Guess I’ll try DFO website … not that I’ve ever had luck catching a spring in west van before … MF always tight lipped no matter how the finder is showing fish .

28-6 opened Aug 1st to 1 slot a day
My goodness, well zooming in I stand corrected for that little area. Which makes the whole damn thing just bit more stupid… if you really think about it, right? Just give me my damn 1 spring. I’d be pissed if I released one

My goodness, well zooming in I stand corrected for that little area. Which makes the whole damn thing just bit more stupid… if you really think about it, right? Just give me my damn 1 spring. I’d be pissed if I released one
What did you zoom in on? Looks to me like all of 28 is open. I know this is not true but it LOOKS open according to the regulations. I see it says "See Restrictions " but when I look at the restrictions it only states the slot size!!!
Again, I am an intelligent full grown adult and have been reading these regs my whole life and still cant find a clear answer.
F@Ck DFO!!!

Last edited:
What did you zoom in on? Looks to me like all of 28 is open. I know this is not true but it LOOKS open according to the regulations. I see it says "See Restrictions " but when I look at the restrictions it only states the slot size!!!
Again, I am an intelligent full grown adult and have been reading these regs my whole life and still cant find a clear answer.
F@Ck DFO!!!
This…

Attachments

• AE18E7E8-3946-4AEA-9DE9-F321DD7D4DC5.jpeg
    AE18E7E8-3946-4AEA-9DE9-F321DD7D4DC5.jpeg
    749.6 KB · Views: 216
Ok boys report first then I’ll give me little mini-rant. Fished the West Van shoreline (70-130 depth pink apt to near Atkinson) I know it’s a bit early but it’s also so damn close lol. Got a hatch coho 9am at 65 on a chovy and my bloody favourite lemon lime flasher damn I love that thing. 2/5 on pinks marking them everywhere, never really ran into heavy action but grinded it out and got some meat. Tried 15-50 on the riggers, all hits at 25-30 on rigger. Typical pink gear, I even taped one up with white electrical tape to try and mimic that can tire special (how sad is that) Overall successful day I’d say. The lucky “losing” ticket did its magic again lol inside joke

So the rant: at Vanier pulling the boat out, DFO survey guy asks me what I got etc. Told him. He asked what I used, I said chovy for the coho. He asks: Targeting springs? I say: No, because it’s non-retention!
Then he goes on to tell me “isn’t it fine to keep springs? some other guy told me that” Are u f-in kidding me. Sure he’s only a survey guy, but he has a DFO logo on his name tag and he doesn’t know the reg’s? I mean, that’s absurd. Come on now, ridiculous reg’s aside, get your sh** together man. Rant over. (Albeit the website is convoluted AF and I can’t fine the map to post but most of 28 is clearly hatched out as closed til Aug 31.)
Unreal.

View attachment 69039
Nice catches. Just some info for you, I’m assuming you already know it was a creel surveyor you spoke with. They are not required to know the regulations in every area they work as they are not enforcement. They also move around to a number of different locations weekly. And with the ridiculously specific area and sub area openings and closures it doesn’t surprise me they wouldn’t know what the f is legal in what area. I agree he probably shouldn’t be repeating what some other person said but again it’s not their responsibility to know all the regs for certain areas. These people are just doing their jobs and it’s a requirement when you buy a license to submit your info to them when requested. If you want to rant do it at the dfo department that made these absurd regulations.

Thanks but that still isn't clear what's open and whats closed. I think 28-6 is open and 28-9 28-4 are closed but they look the same as 28-6, 29-10 is closed but looks like 28-6.
F@ck it im fishing pinks and coho instead. Last thing I need is dfo taking my rods and reels away because I am not fluent in their hyroglific breakdown of whats open/closed

Ok boys report first then I’ll give me little mini-rant. Fished the West Van shoreline (70-130 depth pink apt to near Atkinson) I know it’s a bit early but it’s also so damn close lol. Got a hatch coho 9am at 65 on a chovy and my bloody favourite lemon lime flasher damn I love that thing. 2/5 on pinks marking them everywhere, never really ran into heavy action but grinded it out and got some meat. Tried 15-50 on the riggers, all hits at 25-30 on rigger. Typical pink gear, I even taped one up with white electrical tape to try and mimic that can tire special (how sad is that) Overall successful day I’d say. The lucky “losing” ticket did its magic again lol inside joke

So the rant: at Vanier pulling the boat out, DFO survey guy asks me what I got etc. Told him. He asked what I used, I said chovy for the coho. He asks: Targeting springs? I say: No, because it’s non-retention!
Then he goes on to tell me “isn’t it fine to keep springs? some other guy told me that” Are u f-in kidding me. Sure he’s only a survey guy, but he has a DFO logo on his name tag and he doesn’t know the reg’s? I mean, that’s absurd. Come on now, ridiculous reg’s aside, get your sh** together man. Rant over. (Albeit the website is convoluted AF and I can’t fine the map to post but most of 28 is clearly hatched out as closed til Aug 31.)
Unreal.

View attachment 69039
If it’s the old Japanese guy he knows his stuff quite well.

Unreal.

View attachment 69039
If it’s the same guy I’m thinking his name is Rob and he’s been doing this for many years. Volunteering his time taking DNA samples for the benefit of our fishery. Really good guy. I don’t think Regs matter to him ,just doing his part.
OK never mind all that
Where’s the blonde ??

If it’s the same guy I’m thinking his name is Rob and he’s been doing this for many years. Volunteering his time taking DNA samples for the benefit of our fishery. Really good guy. I don’t think Regs matter to him ,just doing his part.
OK never mind all that
Where’s the blonde ??
Sheesh gimme another weekend or two, she’ll be back. I’ll get a big spring and her in the same pic, just for you…. Well, and for my “personal” use as well…

here am am installing tracker valve fuel regulators new injector and seals. A few more goes and ill be ready. Never easy but im going all out to get this thing running for Sept1. Nothing will stop me not even work.

Lots of Pink action at Cowan between 11-3pm. Three double headers right off the bat followed by a triple. Sounder showed some big schools. Lots lost and limits for the three of us.

Attachments

• 3F833279-AA00-410F-917C-0F26F5F7DB71.jpeg
    3F833279-AA00-410F-917C-0F26F5F7DB71.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 5BF70350-D150-4408-9626-1ECD7156C6ED.jpeg
    5BF70350-D150-4408-9626-1ECD7156C6ED.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 2CE22765-F926-4A05-98A5-29C93353D157.jpeg
    2CE22765-F926-4A05-98A5-29C93353D157.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 153
Lots of Pink action at Cowan between 11-3pm. Three double headers right off the bat followed by a triple. Sounder showed some big schools. Lots lost and limits for the three of us.
Same experience for us yesterday. Limits of pinks, however we had to learn how to land them. They thrash around so much near the boat that we lost at least 10 before we learned how to land them. What we learned was that if we loosened the drag, pulled them close, then let them back off and run a few feet at least 4 times, they co-operated and we could get them in the boat. If we kept the drag tight, or held on to the reel, we lost them every time. Pink squirts worked well, but the biggest one was caught on an army truck spoon behind a mini-flasher.

Same experience for us yesterday. Limits of pinks, however we had to learn how to land them. They thrash around so much near the boat that we lost at least 10 before we learned how to land them. What we learned was that if we loosened the drag, pulled them close, then let them back off and run a few feet at least 4 times, they co-operated and we could get them in the boat. If we kept the drag tight, or held on to the reel, we lost them every time. Pink squirts worked well, but the biggest one was caught on an army truck spoon behind a mini-flasher.
Also try to “sockeye flop”. No net, just bring em close, have the “net” guy grab the flasher and one swoop bring em into the boat. Like any “net” guy, they have to be skilled in their craft, being netting or flopping. It’s good practice for sockeye times too, cause ya don’t really care as much if you lose a pink.

Thanks but that still isn't clear what's open and whats closed. I think 28-6 is open and 28-9 28-4 are closed but they look the same as 28-6, 29-10 is closed but looks like 28-6.
F@ck it im fishing pinks and coho instead. Last thing I need is dfo taking my rods and reels away because I am not fluent in their hyroglific breakdown of whats open/closed
area 28-6 is open to spring retention there's just a max slot size of 80 cm just for clarifiaction

Try this web page. Area 28 Regs Click on the blue Salmon tab and scroll down to Area Descriptions
You'll likely want to read the first three.

The lads and I had fun today at Cowan with three limits of pinks: pink squirts at 50 and 62 feet at low tide change. It was all laughs and giggles until I made THEM net each other's fish and all hell broke lose. They're in serious training for springs come September.

Attachments

• Pinks.jpg
    Pinks.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 166
Back