2020 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
no Taylor ray....might mean no fish for you ;):D
Well I know them both, not real well but I'm sure the apple( T-bone) didn't fall too far from the tree, Ray will do just fine. Wish I was still up there and could give it a go. Maybe one year

Say someone wants to book a Tuna charter for next Fall. Can some people through out some recommendations? IS tofino a good area to go from. My buddies and are pretty flexible where we go out of. Thanks DE

Say someone wants to book a Tuna charter for next Fall. Can some people through out some recommendations? IS tofino a good area to go from. My buddies and are pretty flexible where we go out of. Thanks DE

Talk to Kelly on here and see if he'll be guiding next year. He's had years of experience and is in the know. You can search the threads for more info, there's been a few other suggestions by some other guys too.

Edit: here's the link https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...harter-bamfield-to-tofino.82841/#post-1009305

Last edited:
Well gang we had a great trip out of Nootka on Wednesday.

We left the Lodge at 0600 and drove out slow until it got light and headed for 49.0 by 127.2 at 200 degrees.

When we got about 30 miles offshore we seen a few jumpers and some white sided Dolphins it was go time.

In the gear went and within 5 minutes we got our first Tuna. Then we had some doubles, singles and triples for a couple hours.

It was funny they only wanted to bite going into the waves and not the other way. It was a good mix of hand lines and a few on the rods which sure gave you a workout.

We ended up with 24 Tuna and had the 350 Yeti stuffed and another cooler so it was time to go.

The last one we caught trolling toward Nootka Light was only off about 25 miles.

We had my buddies 27 foot North River with the door that opens at the back and that worked like a charm We only lost 1 fish.

Good luck to everyone.

Mike

This was Thursday on Matt's boat. It was a great day considering they were all Tuna virgins.

I had a blank cheque from NIL at PNT a couple weeks ago to get his boat rigged up for Tuna.

You know $1500 bucks doesn't buy you a lot of stuff when it comes to Tuna gear. I set up 4 hand line set up's and some stuff for trolling on the rods but not a lot extra. I'll bet some of our Tuna experts have 10 grand in gear never mind rods, boats and everything else.

They headed out and only went out 25 miles and started when they saw the first sign of Tuna. There were a couple doubles and a triple and then picked away at it. Everyone had a great time and hooked on Tuna.

Mike

BE20A555-DE57-4671-9194-CEE599D28883.jpeg 8768E7F3-594D-4AD2-8554-B4C43914FE3B.jpeg
Here is a report from our tuna trip out of Bamfield on Thursday
Our guide for the day was Dan Bishop of Bishnson Charters, thanks for the recommendation @Aces Dan is a great guide.
We started out dark and early, the smoke and fog was thick in Bamfield which slowed our departure considerably. Visibility on the way out was less than 100m.
IMG_5447.JPG

As we got further from shore daylight and reduced smoke helped considerably. The water conditions were quite good and we were able to make good speed as we headed to Dan's planned coordinates.

BE20A555-DE57-4671-9194-CEE599D28883.jpegWe arrived at the fishing grounds and dropped our gear, soon it was fish on! In about fifteen minutes we had seven fish on board and blood on the deck. Unfortunately due to operator error by one of our crew we managed to a huge cluster *%&K and about half of our gear hopelessly tangled which caused us to loos the school as we dealt with the mess and re set the gear.
8768E7F3-594D-4AD2-8554-B4C43914FE3B.jpeg

IMG_2352.jpg

About 45 minutes later we found them again, Dan was pleased with the size of the fish. We didn't weigh all of the fish, but based on the ones we did weigh I don't think we caught anything under 15 lbs

IMG_2368.jpg
Dan was kept busy gaffing fish most of the day, they would come in ones and twos with the odd triple header. We had several fish take our gear while we were restting our gear and I think one of the highlights for our crew was watching as a tuna chased some prey right to our gear and then took our Zuke. That was cool, I wish we had filmed it.
IMG_2375.jpg
Listening to the radio we seemed to be doing better than most of the other boats. Somewhere around the twenty five fish mark, one of our crew wondered if we could make it an even 30, cuz, you know that 30 is easier to divide by three than 25. Dan seemed game and 26, 27, 28, and twenty nine came in good time, but it was getting time to head back, so Dan says 10 more minutes and we should pull the gear and head home. He would say this four more times, eventually number thirty came on deck and it was time to wrap it up.

The trip home had flat water conditions which allowed three happy and tired fishermen to admire the beauty of the west coast and reminisce about the highlights of the day
IMG_2384.jpg
Back at the Dock we had to pause for a hero shot.

IMG_5473.JPG
Including one with the fish that at the time was the derby leading top weight of 26 plus pounds. The four fish that Dan weighed in ranged from 26 to 18 lbs. The Derby closes today, so we will see how Dan made out when all the entries are in.
IMG_5476.JPG
And finally a shot of yours truly getting ready to loin some tuna before we dropped the rest at St Jeans for processing.

IMG_1877.jpeg
I would like to thank Dan for a trip of a lifetime. You went above and beyond for our crew and we appreciate all of your efforts.

Awesome reports boys, enjoying the pics.

One more Tuna trip under our belt. We drove to Ukee Friday afternoon and after our mandatory stop at Howlers for dinner got the boat in the water and on the hook at Spring Cove for beers and a few hours of sleep. 3 am up and at em. Made some coffee, pulled the hook and headed out in the dark around 4. We had some good intel from Kelly (thank you very much) and we set a course for Clayquot Canyon. The run out was very dark but uneventful and the sea state was good which allowed us to run at a better speed than we probably should have. We arrived at the canyon just after 630. We had our first tuna on before we could get the second rod in the water and then the blood bath started. The action was fairly non stop all day including doubles, triples, and we even went 4 for 5 on a quintuple (yes, my bad..........we should have landed number 5 but apparently I suck). We sort of wandered all over picking away at the fish and slowly filled our coolers. There was a good mix of commercial and sport boats but we found we did better when we stayed a heathy distance away. That really isn't surprising and it makes sense that when you stumble across a school of jumpers if 10 boats pack in the school will scatter. We eventually had to stop at 31 fish as the boat was plugged. The only way we could get that many in our boat was to cut the heads off, pull out the guts, belly stuff with ice and then organize neatly into coolers. Our final gutting stop led to a blue shark feeding frenzy which was cool to watch and oddly 4 baby sunfish which just swam alongside the boat almost as if they were curious. The shark feeding time messed with our plans for a swim so once all the tuna were in the boat we moved a few hundred yards had a quick swim in the 64 degree blue bath water.

Our fish averaged just a little over 15lbs and our biggest was 22.

That's our tuna season. Good luck to everyone else who has a trip planned.

20200919_082110_resized.jpg
20200919_095604_resized.jpg

20200919_095547_resized.jpg
M1.jpegM2.jpeg 20200919_142744_resized.jpg 20200919_142946_resized.jpg 20200919_155638_resized.jpg

Last edited:
what is the biggest albie you guys have seen or heard weighed in recent years? i remember we used to see a fish or two over 40 lbs landed every year but it seems like most the catches are sub 30 lbs recently

what is the biggest albie you guys have seen or heard weighed in recent years? i remember we used to see a fish or two over 40 lbs landed every year but it seems like most the catches are sub 30 lbs recently
Generally I have the theory that the bigger ones are in smaller schools of like size while the smaller ones are in larger schools where you get the big numbers.

3 years ago on a charter we had a quintuple header where 4 of them were 34-38 lbs

Yeah that makes sense. All of our biggest fish have come on our worst trips for numbers. Those big fish always seem to be in the cooler blueish water....that's where the pigs live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back