2024 Tuna Adventures

i mean, there is those magic years in bam when they are 35 miles out.
When we went out, they had been 30-40 all week. We expected 50 at most. Ended up at 65. They disappeared shortly after. You'd hate to have a 50 mile limit if that's the day you end up getting.

Yeah, this seems to be the consensus, and I did ask for feedback... Not sure what options that leaves me though, mate's thin making truck payments, don't see a a GW 27 in his near future, and he is the keenest in the group, so I'm not ok with leaving him at the dock. Forget tuna and go for some white fish, shoot out if the weather, temp and cloro are all looking great? This feedback does have me thinking about a two man rapid shootout from Bamfield during the derby if weather looks good then, so that's an option for a do-over.
It's not uncommon to get tuna at 25-30 miles off Winter Harbour.

Personally, I'd give it a shot with the crew you planned for. Watch your fuel and weight. For what these trips cost, buy an extra kill bag or two to swap the heavy coolers out. That will buy you the weight for the 4th person in the boat. Go a little lighter on the ice. You just need to cool the fish off, you don't need to be back at the dock with 200lbs ice left. Better to take less ice and catch a few less fish than cancel the whole thing because you don't think you could do it the way everyone says you have to. Besides, how much fish do you want per person? I catch 3-4, combined with all the other species I'm loaded for the year.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Maybe the weather doesn't cooperate, warm waters too far, fish aren't there or maybe you'll get a bunch of fish and everyone will have a great time.

Appreciate the encouragement Flashman. I also like to focus on the upside and why things can be possible, yet at the same time totally respect the more cautious approach of others. Ok, so I recon I will keep my mates and dates but make some changes based on the input here. I will leave the yetis behind and strip any excess weight from the boat, while keeping my 7kg rocna onboard, which will come in handy if we end up drifting toward land with an empty fuel tank!! I will get a 30x60” kill bag to go with the 28x48”, 150 litre Coleman cooler and DIY insulated transom fish box, and carry 250-300lbs of ice. Based on what others have posted about experiences with their kill bags, all up I think this can take 30 fish, maybe more. I will carry 6 or 7 Jerry cans w extra fuel, and we’ll see about the outriggers. Thanks all.

I’ve taken my smaller boat a couple times now. You are doing all the same planning I do. Same size fuel tank, I bring 5 extra Jerry’s but haven’t needed to add any yet. Ran 55 miles last year with 8 hours trolling, still made it back with all Jerry’s and 1/4 tank left. Lake like conditions though.
As far as ice, we take 3 large coolers full. Half of one gets dumped into a garbage can as a bleed and initial cool. Start loading fish into half empty cooler first. 10 tuna per large Colman is a safe bet. This year with the bigger average we were getting 6-7.
We watch the weather like crazy, and it’s a go or no go call the afternoon before and always keep the mindset that it’s ok to call it off in the morning or on the way out. Buddy boat is key, and a buddy boat that knows your small and is also accepting all risks associated, ex you’re pretty loaded down can you handle their crew if they need to board your boat, can you provide them any assistance or are you a burden on them. Safety stuff all sounds good, file a trip plan. We ran 3 rods per side, divers on hand lines off the corners, another rod or hand lines out the back without riggers no issues. Really it all comes down to weather, and knowing your own comfort and your crews comfort. I’ve said no go on days that turned out to be deadly when a forecast looked questionable. Your tub sounds reliable and well tested. Plan it through and enjoy the adventure.

@Umos , I stopped reading your details after I got to 22’ boat, 4 big boys, 400# of ice, Jerry cans, all the cooler/killbag stuff, and then 40 albacore. Being Frank here, no way in heck. Way too much of everything and way over complicated. Take it down to 2 guys, cooler and a kill bag, hoping to get 10 fish. Ditch the outrigger idea. Troll 4 lines until you learn how to control it all. You will have a much better time with tons less risk.

@Umos have you also navigated in fog? I have what I through was lots of experience but I got majorly screwed up once following a crab boat that peeled off and went another direction. Autopilot sure helped when I couldn’t even use the compass and chart plotter. For the long runs and during the chaos it’s sure nice to have autopilot, I’m just saying ;)

@Umos have you also navigated in fog? I have what I through was lots of experience but I got majorly screwed up once following a crab boat that peeled off and went another direction. Autopilot sure helped when I couldn’t even use the compass and chart plotter. For the long runs and during the chaos it’s sure nice to have autopilot, I’m just saying ;)
Not a lot, just winter fog on the inside. I have an autopilot to install, and there's radar on the boat, so that should help.

I have nothing to offer on the tuna front but have found the best way to drill with a hole saw at an angle is slowly in reverse until the hole is somewhat set and then drill as normal.

Is there a distance offshore that you are most likely to see north/south bound shipping traffic?

Is there a distance offshore that you are most likely to see north/south bound shipping traffic?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 8.58.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 8.58.20 AM.png
    813.3 KB · Views: 13
Awesome resource Kael, thanks. Looks like there is a route, maybe to Japan, about 70 miles off from WH, getting closer to shore further south. I wonder if commercial tuna boats transmit while fishing?

@Umos , I stopped reading your details after I got to 22’ boat, 4 big boys, 400# of ice, Jerry cans, all the cooler/killbag stuff, and then 40 albacore. Being Frank here, no way in heck. Way too much of everything and way over complicated. Take it down to 2 guys, cooler and a kill bag, hoping to get 10 fish. Ditch the outrigger idea. Troll 4 lines until you learn how to control it all. You will have a much better time with tons less risk.
Totally agree! A recipe for disaster

Awesome resource Kael, thanks. Looks like there is a route, maybe to Japan, about 70 miles off from WH, getting closer to shore further south. I wonder if commercial tuna boats transmit while fishing?
They turn the ais off a lot when they are on hot fishing and the weather is calm

None of which will work on your boat without cell service. If you install a vhf based system, which is regulated by antenna height. You may be good for 2 miles

Back