2024 Tuna Adventures

Planning my first tuna trip and have a question on timing. Would you book the third week or the forth week in August out of Winter Harbour for a crack at Tuna? I have the earlier week booked, but thinking I might see if I can move it later, as it seems like most tuna trip reports are for late August or early Sept.

Later is usually better. It used to be late August at the earliest. You never know with the water temp. I would try to get a later date.

it has everything to do with the warm currents lining up with the time you have booked. Juna can even happen. book it and pray that the stars align weather wise, currents and tuna all show up, like the rest of us do. we have done some amazing tuna fishing in july!!!

Olie has been catching them in July for the last couple of years but the last 2 weeks of August have been best for us in the last few years.

OK, we're all not getting enough time on the water atm, dreaming of our summer trips and fiending for any fishing related content. So, full warning here, I am going to do a massive information dump, detailing where I am at with my nerd-level prep for my first Tuna trip. This might just be something to read to stimulate some discussion, or a chance for experienced folks to give a newbie some additional pointers. Or maybe it can be a resource for other first timers, peer-to-peer co-learning style. Here we go, broken out by major areas:

Ice:

I am going to start with ice because it was the biggest head scratcher for me. For ice my thinking is plan for the most fish possible, while being ok not finding a single one. Just don’t want to be out there and unable to keep fishing because of ice. I will run with a 250 ltr Yeti up against the transom, which will start full of ice (350lbs?). The plan is to then place and calk some ½ rigid insulation into my transom fish box as a blead and chill box, so ice and some rock salt will be transferred into here if we get into fish. When the transom fish box is full, ~6 fish will move into a 100 ltr Yeti in the bow (might have to be head off) and be topped with fresh ice from the big yeti. If that fills, I have a 28”x40” reliable fish bag that should take another 8 tied up by its handles on the back deck. Finally there is the big Yeti to fill. All in I recon this setup will hold 400 lbs of ice and maybe 40 fish.

Fuel:

This is definitely a weak point for my boat. My tank holds 60 gallons, and I get 3.5 MPG running light in good conditions, so make that 2.5 MPG for a tuna trip. I will use 50 G for a 60 mile (max I would plan for) run out and 60 mile back. That leaves 10 gallons in the tank, and I will carry 25 gallons in 5 jerry cans. Trawling for 8 hours at 3 gallons/hr burns those 25 gallons, leaving 10 gallons in reserve. This doesn’t meet the safety rule of thumb of 1/3 out, 1/3, back 1/3 reserve, but I think I am ok with this. My reasoning is that I am projecting a very big day out here, and likely we will use less fuel, and if we do use the fuel, my reserve is in jerry cans so I can be certain I have enough fuel to make it home. What I mean is that if all the fuel is in your tanks, your gauge can be off, or you don’t monitor it, and then you get surprised by a low or empty tank. With the fuel in jerries, I will know what you have in reserve, and can always make the call to top up and head in. For this to work I will need to keep 3 jerry on deck until we decide to head in, so I know we have enough to make it back. Can’t just dump all the jerries into the tank when we get to the grounds. Ok, so fuel isn’t great for us, but doable?

Boat:

22’ alumaweld intruder w 200 hp main and 9.9 kicker. Reading the thread about what the minimum boat requirements are, I gather some folks will feel we shouldn’t be going out with a boat like this, and others have been out in much smaller (that dude going solo with open whaler going out of WH is a legend!). My sense is in WA and OR most people are going out in my size boat, but maybe their runs aren’t as far as ours. Anyway, I think it’s doable. The engines are both 2021 and well maintained, with separate fuel lines and filters (spares onboard), and we’ll take a precautious approach to weather. I added a second bilge pump and have new batteries. I don’t think it really matters, but I am also adding shockwave seats and Lowrance autopilot this spring, purchased already just need to install.

Crew:

4 dudes, all first time Albacore guys. 3 of us are boat novices, 1 with a decent amount of way offshore experience as crew and captain, including sailboat trawling for tropical pelagics. I’ve been watching all the albacore trawling content online (send all the links to the mates, but who knows if they watch too😊. I think watching the videos gives enough of an idea of the mayhem out there and how to find the fish, keep the deck clear and move the fish around on board. I hope anyway.

Safety:

I recon we’ll all manage to keep our inflatable life jackets on, and I will attach an inreach to myself in case they don’t stop the boat in time if I take a swim. Grab bag at the ready with standard safety gear plus hand VHF and epirb. Boat has radar, vhf, gps. No life raft, but will invest if this becomes a regular thing.

Fishing gear:

Sounds like there are a lot of different approaches, but I am leaning towards a W pattern with 3 rods above the cabin (no outriggers). Two out each side run long (do these need boats to spread them?) and one run long down the center. I’ve bought 2 avet HX5/2s for the side rods bc w a boat they may have more drag than the center rod), and a crappy halibut rod for the center which will have a cedar plug. Of each transom corner I will run a short hand line on a diver to pull it down a bit and then another above it, probably with a birdie to stir things up and help the tuna find us. I might then run a third hand line off each corner with a boat to pull it outboard. These can all be tied to my aft cleats, or I can tie a line across my transom and tie the hand lines to this. So either 9 pieces of gear (6 hand lines and 3 rods) or 7 pieces of gear (4 hand and 3 rod). All staggered about 8’ apart, or 16’ if they have a birdie, and rigged with 8’ of 200lb crimped mono leaders. I am not sure what I will use for lures yet, but understand dark colours on dark days and light on light. I still need to dig through my old tropical gear to see what I have, and then head to PNT and just follow what they recommend.

Processing:

Next day carking, vac bag and chuck into the WH marina freezers.

Weather and finding tuna water:

I am spent and have to run, so nothing to say on weather and water atm.

Ok, that’s the plan, pull it apart, I don’t mind, just looking for fishing chatter while I am working away from family and not able to fish.

That's some good planning! I need to map things out too. Sounds like a heavy load. I'd like to ask if you must bring Yeti's and 4 guys. Are the guys small? Do you guys have access to lighter coolers? The big coolers come in at over 70lbs.

I think it's a balancing act between overloading the boat and having a successful trip. With the added ice/fuel/guys and gear, I'd be worried about performance, range and safety. We went 3 guys on a big boat, and our buddy boat had 2 guys, both forum members 33 and 22 feet or so.

My experience with overloaded boats is to do everything you can to avoid it; you have to bring more fuel, go slower and not as far. I'm thinking 3 small guys are max on my boat for a loaded tuna trip and preference is for 2 guys, then my buddy who is well over 250lbs can come.

I think you should try filling up a couple coolers with water and getting your three buds onboard in a trial run in some less than ideal conditions closer to home and see how it feels. Sounds crowded to me.

Ditch a friend or two, that makes sense. Not doable this year though, just not my style, but probably the way I would go in the future. Guys are 300, 230, 180, 165, so not small. Last year we loaded up and ran up from Renfrew to Bamfield when the road was closed. For that trip we had the same cooler/ice setup (pretty funny as we came home with just a few smalls), heavier crew (400lbs, 300, 230, 165), five jerry cans (water and fuel) and all our camping gear for 4 days on the island. So about 400 lbs heavier than we would be for tuna (600 lbs heavier if you count the 200 lbs of water that filled the pod from the leaking deck hatch!!!). The boat was a slug for sure, but planed ok. It's propped shallow so reaches 300 RPM over max suggested at WOT, which helps for overloaded trips I guess. I like the idea of dropping the yeti's, as we don't need the ice to last days and days. I could swap the big one for a 150 liter coleman type. Not sure I want to buy another fish bag now, but I will see what options we have for dropping cooler weight.

Try to line up a buddy boat if you can - gets pretty lonely out by yourself 50 miles from shore!

Easier said than done though, I usually end up with just my crew but we have been on a lot of tuna trips and have it pretty dialed in.

Could drop the anchor chain, spare anchor and 80 lbs of fishing lead as well.
The most effective way to offest a heavy stern is to add weight in the bow due to the small waterplane. For example 50lbs in the bow could offset 500lbs in the stern. Although it does increase the bodily sinkage. Not my cup of tea leaving for 60nm offshore already overloaded then adding 500lbs of fish. Additionally I'd keep the anchor and utilize it in an emergency

BOAT: i see an open bow boat? (good bow cover? sounds scary in a loaded boat in a following following sea. far too small for 4 guys, ice, tunas an fuel. getting into 20-40 tunas at 20lbs per is something.

ice: only take as much as you need to chill what you catch. chilling is more important than packed ice stowage. have ice back at the dock for repacking the catch for overnight as they cark far better when very cold. again, you only need to cool the fish and keep them somewhat cool for the ride back. what you dont use is great for next trip out.

fuel, not sure of your running out time/distance but bring more, dump 3 in when you get there and store the other 3 for back up.

crew, lose the big friend (lol. ) you and everyone goes on a 10% weight loss program. i do leave my anchor at the dock, all the salmon gear, downriggers etc.

if you are not getting outriggers, run a left and right planer board to open the spread. i suggest getting outriggers as they are effective and worth the cost and set up. i have sea choice, cheap and they work great. do not need fancy. no need for divers, handlines etc. go rod and reel in a w pattern with 10-15' between each distanced rig. get decent rod and reel combos, keep 2-3 rods ready to go for tangle fux. , stiff rods are not for big fish but for keeping the rod from loading up and popping the lure out of the water. keep the tips as low as possible to prevent rod pop. 80-100lb main braid, 200lb mono for zukers etc.the 200 lbs isnt for massive fish, it so you can lift a 20lb albi straight into the boat without getting a line cut. a 30 lb use a lifting gaff and the line at the same time to whip the tuner in.

safety looks good: never go without a buddy boat. if it is a bigger buddy boat get them to pack some ice or in case of a fish transfer, and have them pack some emergency fuel. always stay in radio contact. know your electronics and confirm radio checks.

SO FRIGGIN EXCITING GETTING OUT THERE !!!!!!

Last edited:
Back