2020 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
X2!! Am new to Nanaimo & relatively new to ocean fishing - it has been wonderful to see such generosity by yourself/others in sharing your knowledge & helping us newbies. THANK YOU.

View attachment 57283 Went out for my last day of the year before parking the boat for the winter

Weather was stellar in the morning but the big tidal flows didn’t help much with just a few shakers until around 11:00 @ high slack then the bite came on for an hour Off Neck point.

Around 12:30 the wind picked up and as I got to play with a few spotted ones and was out of anchovy’s I called it a wrap for 2020.

Was an educational first year fishing Nanaimo and looking forward to Spring.
Thanks for the reports!

Is there any sense in going out for salmon off Nanaimo for the next few months or has everything ended til January?

Is there any sense in going out for salmon off Nanaimo for the next few months or has everything ended til January?
I went out on a nice day last Oct. and got into a bunch of springs. 2 were over 62" and one substantially so. There are always some... somewhere.

Anyone been out recently? Going to go out Saturday morning if the weather is nice. Life has been crazy and I need to scratch the itch of fishing.

Went out this morning 7-10:3. Crazy calm out. Absolutely no wind. Fog rolled in around 9. Super thick. No keepers for us. Lot and lots and lots of small ones. Had to continually check the lines., at all depths. Tried spoons and hootchies. Saw lots of bait and fish. Even saw a beauty sized spring jump beside us on the surface.

surprised at the number of boats on the water, quite a few. Next time would like to try prawning as well.

crazy amazing weather for October 3.

Went out this morning 7-10:3. Crazy calm out. Absolutely no wind. Fog rolled in around 9. Super thick. No keepers for us. Lot and lots and lots of small ones. Had to continually check the lines., at all depths. Tried spoons and hootchies. Saw lots of bait and fish. Even saw a beauty sized spring jump beside us on the surface.

surprised at the number of boats on the water, quite a few. Next time would like to try prawning as well.

crazy amazing weather for October 3.
A guy was catching Chums around Hudson a few years back in October. Might be worth trying out later in the month if you got the itch.

Was out this past Tues 9-2pm. Lots of little ones & a nice sized wild Coho off Neck point. Too windy to stay out/enjoy.

Was out today from around fingers/neck point from 11-2.. saw lots of bigger fish jumping out of the water but catching nothing but shakers

No reports here for a while. No one fishing?

Went out this afternoon for a couple hours to see if the boat still runs good. Just pouring with rain when left the house but by the time we got to the launch it had stopped and started to clear up. Turned into a beautiful afternoon, wind calmed down. As for the fishing, it was slow. 2 shakers, a ling cod, and a rockfish. Some bait and fish on the sounder. Never have fished this time of year so it’s a learning process. Anyone with tips?

Also what is the reason that they close bottom fish this till spring?B617801F-C8DB-476E-9746-452413DFC4EE.jpeg211BB4F6-ADEE-4EA9-9E1A-F8961D756DDB.jpegAF179268-CF73-4C2C-8A23-96457E7F71C6.jpeg

Nice pics, I'm hoping to get out in early December if the weather allows it.

As for the bottom fish closure, their spawning season is December-March.

Saw you out there while we were walking at Pipers and was a little envious. I cover ground fairly quickly in the winter months and am usually fishing pretty much on the bottom. I like spoons during the winter as I like they way they fish when trolling faster. While I am encouraged when I find bait, I tend to favour bottom type (soft/sand) as I know I can bounce the balls on more often.

Saw you out there while we were walking at Pipers and was a little envious. I cover ground fairly quickly in the winter months and am usually fishing pretty much on the bottom. I like spoons during the winter as I like they way they fish when trolling faster. While I am encouraged when I find bait, I tend to favour bottom type (soft/sand) as I know I can bounce the balls on more often.
Thank you for the tips.

Spent a few hours out there today on the lee side of ballenas. Couple that were close to keepers and a handful of prawns. Beautiful day out! Will be back out tomorrow.

Attachments

• 7B9C60DC-1F3E-4999-A138-5700CE2C6FC7.png
    7B9C60DC-1F3E-4999-A138-5700CE2C6FC7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • CE8722C5-260C-4A02-9ACC-0920B29F3696.png
    CE8722C5-260C-4A02-9ACC-0920B29F3696.png
    529.4 KB · Views: 90
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back