2020 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out this evening for a couple hours before dark. Brechin launch was dead. Fished Pipers to Neck Point to the Fingers. Pretty slow. Few shakers and one undersized. Tried all depths from 80-160’. Spoons and hootchie. Bait around Neck Point but no fish.
Beautiful evening though. Wind died down completely.

I was also out, mostly jigging around the fingers and we only found shakers. Saw a lot of bait and good sized arches on the sounder. I saw a couple guys on a sail boat get what looked like an absolute tank of a fish.

Right before it was pitch black bait boiled up to the surface on the outside of the fingers . Looked pretty compelling but no takers. Stopped fishing once I couldn't see my jigs. A++ night.

Went out this evening from 5:30-7:30 with the family. Had curry dinner on the boat. Beautiful sunny evening again. Fished off the fingers. Managed to get a 14 lb spring as we were packing up. Thankfully I was able to drag out another 5 minutes and that is when we got it. 90’ on the rigger, on a sliver spoon. My daughter picked it out. Also got one just under. Great times out there.

Hoping to get out Saturday morning if this weather stays.
upload_2020-9-10_22-2-25.png

Went out this evening from 5:30-7:30 with the family. Had curry dinner on the boat. Beautiful sunny evening again. Fished off the fingers. Managed to get a 14 lb spring as we were packing up. Thankfully I was able to drag out another 5 minutes and that is when we got it. 90’ on the rigger, on a sliver spoon. My daughter picked it out. Also got one just under. Great times out there.

View attachment 56889
What a nice chrome fish!

View attachment 56889

Nice catch. I talked to you with my kids while you were cleaning your fish. Hopefully still some coming in.

We fished from Piper's to the fingers and got lots of 50cm fish mostly deep on green and white coho killer. Unfortunately no keepers for us last 2 nights.

Nice catch. I talked to you with my kids while you were cleaning your fish. Hopefully still some coming in.

We fished from Piper's to the fingers and got lots of 50cm fish mostly deep on green and white coho killer. Unfortunately no keepers for us last 2 nights.
Hi then.

yeah hoping more are showing. The fish was full of small bait 2-3”.

saw lots of bait on the sounder. Picked up this fish as we passed a huge bait ball column, that is what my daughter told me, I was packing up. We we fishing near that tide line that had all the seaweed in it.

Went out this morning..... think i have fulfilled all my slot alotment for shakers for the year..... literally had about 20+ shakers in 4 hours.
Other than that got undersized spring about 55cm which of course swam away for another day.

Transient Orcas put on a show by Hudson Rock around 8am. I just idled at watched them for 1/2 hour magnificent animals

Last edited:
Transient Orcas put on a show by Hudson Rock around 8am. I just idled at watched them for 1/2 hour magnificent animals

Oh that’s what is was. I saw something from a distance and could not figure out exactly. I was just at the edge of my visibility. Good for you for witnessing their travel. I sure left them all the food they need!

I believe my presentation was good. I
just could not put it in front of a keeper.
It was interesting releasing this young seagull.

Attachments

• 5F381085-0715-4D47-8DC4-4E00B95379EB.png
    5F381085-0715-4D47-8DC4-4E00B95379EB.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
I believe my presentation was good. I
just could not put it in front of a keeper.
It was interesting releasing this young seagull.
Was that by Clarke Rock?..... i saw from a distance what looked like a bird, then i thought it was a fish when u spun around.....

The whales were onto something..... they were tight circling and slapping their tails

Yep by Clarke Rock, early this morning. I also learned that seagull are protected so it is a good thing it flew away while siing a thank you song.

Darn, looks I missed a good whale show.

Fished this afternoon 1-4. Started by Pipers continued to neck point a couple times. Then trolled out to the fingers. Just a stupid amount of 8”-10” shakers. Constantly had to check lines. At all depths. 70’-140’. Could not keep them off. Nice sunny afternoon, wind wasn’t too bad. Tried silver, green, cookie and cream spoons. Also tried a hootchie at the end.

lots of bait and fish on the sounder. But couldn’t get them to bit. Most of the schools were 60-90’. Unsure if they were coho or pinks.

went into departure bay to check out the beach fishermen fishing for pinks. Lots of people out there. Saw couple of schools but had no more time to fish. When does the run die off? Can you troll off the beach?

Fished this afternoon 1-4. Started by Pipers continued to neck point a couple times. Then trolled out to the fingers. Just a stupid amount of 8”-10” shakers. Constantly had to check lines. At all depths. 70’-140’. Could not keep them off. Nice sunny afternoon, wind wasn’t too bad. Tried silver, green, cookie and cream spoons. Also tried a hootchie at the end.

lots of bait and fish on the sounder. But couldn’t get them to bit. Most of the schools were 60-90’. Unsure if they were coho or pinks.

went into departure bay to check out the beach fishermen fishing for pinks. Lots of people out there. Saw couple of schools but had no more time to fish. When does the run die off? Can you troll off the beach?
Could be the start of Chum’s appearing..... nothing has shown up on time properly this year... either early or late

C9D0610D-A529-4C10-91DF-72589451106F.jpeg Went out for my last day of the year before parking the boat for the winter

Weather was stellar in the morning but the big tidal flows didn’t help much with just a few shakers until around 11:00 @ high slack then the bite came on for an hour Off Neck point.

Around 12:30 the wind picked up and as I got to play with a few spotted ones and was out of anchovy’s I called it a wrap for 2020.

Was an educational first year fishing Nanaimo and looking forward to Spring.

View attachment 57283 Went out for my last day of the year before parking the boat for the winter

Weather was stellar in the morning but the big tidal flows didn’t help much with just a few shakers until around 11:00 @ high slack then the bite came on for an hour Off Neck point.

Around 12:30 the wind picked up and as I got to play with a few spotted ones and was out of anchovy’s I called it a wrap for 2020.

Was an educational first year fishing Nanaimo and looking forward to Spring.
Thank you for your reports and insight this year. Been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back