2020 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like the fish are moving around between there and entrance

Do Nanaimo guy's come around the corner to the Thrasher light or generally go back and forth between Entrance and Fingers?

Also where exactly is Fingers?

Last edited:
Do Nanaimo guy's come around the corner to the Thrasher light or generally go back and forth between Entrance and Fingers?

Also where exactly is Fingers?

Five Finger island, right off Nanaimo. Our most popular spot.

We do run down to Thrasher sometimes, but usually most of the time there's similar numbers of fish somewhere between Winchelsea and Entrance, so no need, especially as the run home from Trasher with any kind of NW chop is not a ton of fun.

Five Finger island, right off Nanaimo. Our most popular spot.

We do run down to Thrasher sometimes, but usually most of the time there's similar numbers of fish somewhere between Winchelsea and Entrance, so no need, especially as the run home from Trasher with any kind of NW chop is not a ton of fun.
Awesome thanks man

One too big (84) at entrance tonight and a bunch too small, and some doggies. Gotta find the father in law a keeper tomorrow. Where to fish?

Same results for us last night. The only difference is that we never saw the over size fish which broke the line. It was quite a powerful fish. Exciting!

Fished the Fingers last night at about 7pm, nothing but small chinook and the odd coho. Picked up and ran over to Neck at 8pm. 220' of water, started hitting fish at 89' put both riggers at that depth. Headed back to the dock by 8:45 with a 64cm, a 76cm in the box, and broke one much larger fish off when he ran into the leg and lost a hatchery coho at the boat while trying to figure out if it was clipped or not. Both keepers had 7" herring in their stomachs. 3" nickel green and kitchen sink spoons.

Headed to Silva bay tomorrow hoping to fish entrance and maybe thrasher on Saturday. I'm not too familiar with this fishery so hoping you guys can share some tips for this time of year? I've heard of people fishing 280' with hootchies, and others fishing 50' spoons/chovies..
Cheers!

Fished the Fingers last night at about 7pm, nothing but small chinook and the odd coho. Picked up and ran over to Neck at 8pm. 220' of water, started hitting fish at 89' put both riggers at that depth. Headed back to the dock by 8:45 with a 64cm, a 76cm in the box, and broke one much larger fish off when he ran into the leg and lost a hatchery coho at the boat while trying to figure out if it was clipped or not. Both keepers had 7" herring in their stomachs. 3" nickel green and kitchen sink spoons.
Nicely done moose, what are you fishing out of these days? I’ve noticed the massive herring in the stomachs of all the springs as well, some like 8”.

Th
Go

run over and stay at Newcastle island it one of my favourite spots in that area, I prefer it over Silva bay
nice docks to tie up and the island is pretty fun to explore also moorings in the bay also to tie up at

Thanks for the detailed report!

Headed to Silva bay tomorrow hoping to fish entrance and maybe thrasher on Saturday. I'm not too familiar with this fishery so hoping you guys can share some tips for this time of year? I've heard of people fishing 280' with hootchies, and others fishing 50' spoons/chovies..
Cheers!

had a lot of luck at entrance this year fishing 4 rods. 2 down deep and 2 shallow for coho. 150-250 for deep 30-90 for coho

Cheers!
The fishing starts to slow down in Aug. I do a lot better fishing structure and looking for bait this time of year. Neck Point area or the Entrance Island reef.

Nicely done moose, what are you fishing out of these days? I’ve noticed the massive herring in the stomachs of all the springs as well, some like 8”.

I'm in a red and white Larson bowrider this year. I'm pretty easy to spot, diving across the bench seat to get to the rods ;)

Been out a few times jigging lately, we’ve got our fish each time but it’s been a struggle compared to previous years. Lots of oversized fish having to go back when we eventually get into them. Even when we are on the fish/bait some days there is no love until the bite turns on. In my experience jigging didn’t seem to have specific bite times but it’s a little more apparent later this season. After a 20 minute fight I landed this guy off entrance, swam away strong, I would guess he was in the 26/27 range.

37045F2B-3828-4488-9705-FDAFEDB5027D.jpeg

Hooked this first thing at Entrance this morning. Not much after that. Super flat and peaceful out there though. I think things have slowed out there the last couple of days though. Hopefully more move in soon.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Heading out tomorrow.
Where were you seeing the most fish activity?
Got that one nearer to the red can than the black and yellow marker just after sunrise (75 feet in 150 feet of water). There was a bit of bait in that area and a whole bunch along the outside of the bank on the far side. It just didn't seem to be producing much in the way of strikes or salmon with only a couple undersize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back