2020 Nanaimo Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out at the fingers tonight, tons of bait close to the islands. Countless shakers, 5 undersized and 2 keepers. All were caught around 180ft, kitchen sink spoon and blue meanie hootchie.

I fished Hudson to neck point this evening. Lots of coho and Chinook from 40-120 feet. Really fabulous bait balls around.

AfterIAfter got my Chinook I tried trolling fast(4-5mph) at 40-75 feet for coho but I also got into several large Chinook(released) at that speed/depth.

Derby winner and green coho killer 4' behind green flashers was the ticket. Went home with a 79cm and a 70cm Ling.
Great night on the water

IMG_20200827_180509_223.jpg IMG_20200827_181157_612.jpg

Well tonight was a night of firsts for me.

Went out for the evening fish off the fingers with a good buddy. Started off amazing. No one at the launch at 5pm. Empty docks so we could launch right away. Got out to Hudson rock and started to drop the lines. First one in the water. As I am setting up the second rod I look over to see the first rod bent over peeling line. There was no stoping it. Even had the boat in reverse to gain line. After about 20 min we get the fish near the boat. Its huge. We start freaking out. Also realize that I have hooked it near the tail. My buddy goes to net it, misses and the fish runs and dives. I mean dives. Never had my rod bent over like that. After another 10 mins we get to the boat. Couple tries and we net it. Barely fits in the net. Almost breaks the net. We get it up try to measure it. Disclosure here: I have not had the luxury of catching big fish. I don’t know what an 80 cm fish looks like without measuring it. Also I didn’t really not where/how it was hooked.
So we get it in the boat. Realize it’s way over 80 cm. We cannot believe our eyes. It’s the biggest fish I have caught and the biggest fish my buddy has seen( new to fishing). We get it in the water after a quick photo. Took about 5-10min but got the big guy going again. Really amazing to see it swim away.

Caught a bunch of undersized throughout the evening as well. 120’ was the hot depth. All action was on a green and Chrome spoon. The other first was getting our lines and downriggers tangled together. Haven’t done that before. What a mess.

upload_2020-8-27_22-45-2.jpeg

upload_2020-8-27_22-45-43.jpeg

upload_2020-8-27_22-46-39.jpeg

Note: don’t know why one is sideways. Can’t fix it

Well tonight was a night of firsts for me.

Went out for the evening fish off the fingers with a good buddy. Started off amazing. No one at the launch at 5pm. Empty docks so we could launch right away. Got out to Hudson rock and started to drop the lines. First one in the water. As I am setting up the second rod I look over to see the first rod bent over peeling line. There was no stoping it. Even had the boat in reverse to gain line. After about 20 min we get the fish near the boat. Its huge. We start freaking out. Also realize that I have hooked it near the tail. My buddy goes to net it, misses and the fish runs and dives. I mean dives. Never had my rod bent over like that. After another 10 mins we get to the boat. Couple tries and we net it. Barely fits in the net. Almost breaks the net. We get it up try to measure it. Disclosure here: I have not had the luxury of catching big fish. I don’t know what an 80 cm fish looks like without measuring it. Also I didn’t really not where/how it was hooked.
So we get it in the boat. Realize it’s way over 80 cm. We cannot believe our eyes. It’s the biggest fish I have caught and the biggest fish my buddy has seen( new to fishing). We get it in the water after a quick photo. Took about 5-10min but got the big guy going again. Really amazing to see it swim away.

Caught a bunch of undersized throughout the evening as well. 120’ was the hot depth. All action was on a green and Chrome spoon. The other first was getting our lines and downriggers tangled together. Haven’t done that before. What a mess.

View attachment 56390

View attachment 56391

View attachment 56392

Note: don’t know why one is sideways. Can’t fix it
Congrats on your nice fish

I fished Hudson to neck point this evening. Lots of coho and Chinook from 40-120 feet. Really fabulous bait balls around.

AfterIAfter got my Chinook I tried trolling fast(4-5mph) at 40-75 feet for coho but I also got into several large Chinook(released) at that speed/depth.

Derby winner and green coho killer 4' behind green flashers was the ticket. Went home with a 79cm and a 70cm Ling.
Great night on the water

View attachment 56381 View attachment 56382

I had similar results. I fished solo and got a 75 cm at 120 over 150 of water on a 3'' spoon. While trying to find a coho, I had to release 2 springs in the keeper slot.
Lots of bait and several hook ups while jigging. Fun evening.

Congrats on your nice fish
Thank you. Wish we could have taken better pictures and measurements of it. The ones we took do it no justice. But wanted to get it back in the water as soon as possible. Felt bad that we even brought it into the boat. Was awesome to see it swim away. The water was so clear.

I'd be out there right now if i hadn't popped my si joint out yesterday :(

I'd be out there right now if i hadn't popped my si joint out yesterday :(

That's not an easy fix but you're lucky, they are on special at Harbour Chandler! Good luck. Hope to see you back on the water soon.

That's not an easy fix but you're lucky, they are on special at Harbour Chandler! Good luck. Hope to see you back on the water soon.
Well if they are on special I’ll take 3!

I’ll be at sandheads this Tuesday morning

Where are you seeing that? Both the regulations page and the FN for Fraser River Management show 29-3 open as of August 1 as long as it's not past the line from Gower Point-Shah Point.
Would also like to know. If you hug the rock you should be able to fish all around Thrasher, not saying that’s where the best place to fish is

Went out this morning with my son for a few hours. Beautiful sunny morning. Not a lot of action for us. Just a few undersized springs. Saw quite a few notes out and lots of fish and bait on the sounder. Most action was off the fingers. Trolled by Neck Point and Pipers but it was dead. Just it wasn’t my morning. But had a great time with my son.

I really struggled with the current today. Could not get my speed right. Going against the current I was doing 1.5-2.5 mph but my downrigger wires seemed like they were at like 50+ degrees. Is this normal to fight it like that or should I not worry about my downrigger lines or...?

Please don't quote me because I'm newish to salt fishing but I was told that
the angle of the downrigger line represents how hard your presentation is
working. Slower against the current, looking for that perfect angle.

Went out this morning with my son for a few hours. Beautiful sunny morning. Not a lot of action for us. Just a few undersized springs. Saw quite a few notes out and lots of fish and bait on the sounder. Most action was off the fingers. Trolled by Neck Point and Pipers but it was dead. Just it wasn’t my morning. But had a great time with my son.

I really struggled with the current today. Could not get my speed right. Going against the current I was doing 1.5-2.5 mph but my downrigger wires seemed like they were at like 50+ degrees. Is this normal to fight it like that or should I not worry about my downrigger lines or...?
Were u fighting the current right by the North end of the fingers?
I literally got spun around once there

Water speed and speed over ground can be quite different.. Most people will look at the angle of their down riggers. This takes some practice as different depths will give you differing angles at the same water speed. The weight of your balls will also have an effect on angle. You can be doing 0 mph and have a 45 degree angle on your down rigger lines into the current and then turn around with the current and have them straight up and down and be doing 2 mph, with your gear basically doing nothing. Ultimately it is water speed that you need to be concerned with. If you have a water speed indicator look at that in relation to what is happening on your down rigger lines based on depth, speed, etc, and you will begin to get a feel for it.

Water speed and speed over ground can be quite different.. Most people will look at the angle of their down riggers. This takes some practice as different depths will give you differing angles at the same water speed. The weight of your balls will also have an effect on angle. You can be doing 0 mph and have a 45 degree angle on your down rigger lines into the current and then turn around with the current and have them straight up and down and be doing 2 mph, with your gear basically doing nothing. Ultimately it is water speed that you need to be concerned with. If you have a water speed indicator look at that in relation to what is happening on your down rigger lines based on depth, speed, etc, and you will begin to get a feel for it.
Is it better to be fighting the current or going along with the current?

In heavy current, I think most people would say fighting the current. Sometimes if there is structure that I like and heavy current and not too many other boat around, I will just try to hold my position over it. Up in Campbell River where the current can really rip, they will troll into the current until they are out of the fishy area, pull their gear, motor back and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back