Status
Not open for further replies.
Was skunked this evening out at NA from 5 to 8 pm. No hits but lots of activity on the sounder. Sometimes I think it just shows me what I want to see. Beautiful out there though.

FADAD027-6EBE-44F6-BC7A-86068460F34A.jpeg

.....Beautiful out there though.

View attachment 40298[/QUOTE]

LOL. I love your post Jasonj - I get skunked lots of times and I just hate it! But it takes me 24 to 48 hrs to get motivated to get out there again. Read some marketing thing about sport fishing, forget where now, about how when we get skunked our minds automatically turn to how relaxing the trip was, how beautiful the scenery was, how nice it was to be one with nature, blah, blah,blah. It's all very very true, but we go out to catch fish and when we do not our ego has to protect us with how lucky we are to enjoy the scenery...but, if the scenery was what we were after we would just go out sailing for a couple of hours after work. Much cheaper.

My late grandfather, who fished until he was 91, would always say sarcastically that he "caught a lot of fresh air" whenever he got skunked.

When I'm out there, its' the fear of getting skunked that keeps me going. And the joy, whenever I do not get skunked, that keeps me coming back.....but I'd always rather get skunked, than not be fishing....

I’ve been behind a few trollers today at Sandheads. They’re doing 2-3 mph. Not 1.5-1.7 mph like I was told. I guess they can’t troll slower?

I’ve been behind a few trollers today at Sandheads. They’re doing 2-3 mph. Not 1.5-1.7 mph like I was told. I guess they can’t troll slower?

Their gear is tuned... :)...And they catch more than most... :)

Today I was Solo sockeye fishing at Sandheads. Catch featured on Left and yesterday's catch on right. Started fishing just before 8 am and once again fish jumping like crazy in close. The commercial guys were out far so I started in close 250 feetIMG_20180913_141458_695.jpg on a big school. Action was on right away. All blue flashers and pink hoochies. Tried a new hoochie with glow, black, purple and pink and that was definitely the hot ticket item today. Most fish caught between 60 and 90 feet. So I started working these big schools with tons of jumpers. I was losing a bunch and had a couple in the box. When a seiner comes and makes a circle right around my school. They didn't get all the fish so I kept trolling in the area and another seiner comes and tells me to get off the school because they're dropping their net on it. Yelled at me to get out of the way fast cause they were coming. I hooked two more as I crossed the school and third sockeye went in the box. So I tried to catch a chinook on anchovies around to 120 to 180 foot zone for an hour and a half without a sniff. So dropped down the sockeye gear and got my fourth sockeye before I had the second side back down. Tons of fish out there and very very few sport fishermen. The parking lot at the launch is empty. This is the best fishing of the season and seems everyone is back to work. Please help me with tips on how to catch the chinook. Depth, location and presentation would be great. I may try tomorrow again.

No love for me out off the NA today. Sockeye fishing 8:15-11:30. Tried 200'-500' all the way out to QA, and areas in between. No jumpers, no bites. First time in a while with nothing to show for an outing. Didn't see any seiners either, which may have been a sign that there isn't much around at the NA at the moment. Maybe I shoulda gone all the way to the SA...

p.s. Fishdoc, which boat launch is deserted? Steveston? Thinking I may head out there to get to the SA. thx

No love for me out off the NA today. Sockeye fishing 8:15-11:30. Tried 200'-500' all the way out to QA, and areas in between. No jumpers, no bites. First time in a while with nothing to show for an outing. Didn't see any seiners either, which may have been a sign that there isn't much around at the NA at the moment. Maybe I shoulda gone all the way to the SA...

p.s. Fishdoc, which boat launch is deserted? Steveston? Thinking I may head out there to get to the SA. thx

I launch at Ladner boat launch cause I come out from down south and don't have to go through the tunnel in the am. There was five trucks when I left and only a few when I got there. All the trailer parking was open.

Reactions: AB3
What are people's thoughts on some/all of us from the forum getting together at a local park for a sockeye roast/bbq event?

I don't think there will be a shortage of fish.
I think it's a great idea. Would love for someone else to organize it lol.

J50-Scarlett is now presumed dead by the lead researcher which has been tracking the pod since last Friday.

Mom is still with the pod.

We should enjoy our freezers full of salmon....and RELISH every bite. Every whale that dies here on in and every further management action by any group will further reduce your fishing opportunities.

:(

J50-Scarlett is now presumed dead by the lead researcher which has been tracking the pod since last Friday.

Mom is still with the pod.

We should enjoy our freezers full of salmon....and RELISH every bite. Every whale that dies here on in and every further management action by any group will further reduce your fishing opportunities.

:(

All that harassment from the societies on that poor whale for nothing. Injections with who knows what. Being chased down by zodiac. We leave those whales alone. I think they need to trim the whales watching to zero if we can't fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back