2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

I use the Harling Point webcam as my go to info. link on BWD
Thanks tinboatrobb I finally got around to looking at that webcam it's going to be really useful I also like the link to Trial island weather .
Seems like the fish are almost here
Tight Lines
Tom

Launched at Esquilmalt at 5:30, wanted to get out before the winds picked up, hoping the weather service might be a little off. Nope, winds picked up at 7:00 and blown of the water at about 9:00. Fished the breakwater and Macaulay from 40-70' with no action. Chrome green, Joanne & purple haze, on a variation of anchovy and herring. Seen a couple smaller fish being caught with about 20 boats out in the area.

Nasty out there today guys... no fish is really worth the risk of fishing in this wind. I stayed home this weekend. I have to pull the boat out this week for cleaning and I hope to get it back in the water in a couple days.

Hey guys, what the heck is the colour called "Joanne"? Sam7 has referenced it a couple times. once in the Sooke reports and once a few posts above this.

I once dated a girl by that name and she didn't like fishing much...

Hey guys, what the heck is the colour called "Joanne"? Sam7 has referenced it a couple times. once in the Sooke reports and once a few posts above this.

I was in IO looking to get more glow pearl teaser heads and the ones they had were called Joanne. Same for the chrome ones i think. That was last year I think they are green/yellow if I remember right.

Fished or should I say boated off Mcaulay from 7-noon. Was a really nice morning and saw a few nets out but I guess I'm still just learning and having fun.
Counted 30 boats at one time from Clover point to Fleming. Lots of bait and fish marked so now all I need to do is figure out the speed,direction, lure and what position I'm supposed to hold my face at. tried a number of spoons & hoochies added juice but think I should have bought some anchovies.. next time I guess. Work this afternoon seemed easier ;-)

I was fortunate to have only worked a 1/2 day today so I jumped at the opportunity to head out on the water, fished from 11:30-4:15. Pretty quiet for me until 1:45, landed a 13.5lber which put up a good fight in front of the breakwater, made on other pass and hooked into a small shaker. All was quiet for me after that. 40'-70' today, both came on green chrome with anchovy at 62' with Betsy. Nothing on bloody nose or purple haze. Nice deep red spring, with nothing in the stomach

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 31
Good to hear some positive reports. Took the kids out on Friday, tried OB at the end of the light flood and then back out front. Not a sniff. Too bad for the kids. Question.... when you are running 40-60 foot on the rigger do you normally run back farther from the boat? Say 30+ feet from the clip. I always thing being up close to the motor would scare fish away.

Cheers, good luck out there and enjoy

Had a wonderful evening out on the water with my lady. Been watching the solar lunar patterns and thought we'd give it a go. Sure enough we washed bait for the first 2 hours but within 15min of when the solar lunar table said it would, the bite came on.

Started of with a nice 14# off of Macaulay which ran into a double header. Unfortunately the second was a Wylie dog fish, but had a few more hits and then two shakers get loose on the way to the boat. We watched a few nets come up on the boats around us so a few fish made their way home to the dinner table which is promising.

By 8 it was starting to get dark so we ran to pull our crab trap to find 5 keepers. Not bad for 4 hours work. The family dinner tomorrow is gonna rock.

Green chrome with a bloody nose glow teaserhead at 50' worked today.

D

Here is "Joanne" besides the Green Chrome, last year this was another one of my go-to's in Sooke. I came up with a crazy idea of matching the teaser head to the water colour, last year the sooke water colour was a little on the teal side which matched to this one, and it worked out well for me.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 96
D

Here is "Joanne" besides the Green Chrome, last year this was another one of my go-to's in Sooke. I came up with a crazy idea of matching the teaser head to the water colour, last year the sooke water colour was a little on the teal side which matched to this one, and it worked out well for me.
I learned that the colour "Joanne" was formerly known as "Mint Pearl". Since Gibbs bought the joint, they have gone back to the "Mint Pearl" moniker.

Well I finally managed to cross paths with a spring again after a week and a half of pinks and skunks. Trap shak 55' green/glow/chrome teaser head betsy flasher extra large chovy. Was making the last pass of the evening cursing the dam skunk made a turn and fish on! Well I had to make one more pass after that and even a blind squirrell finds a nut once in a while I guess that was me cuz fish on again! Too good to be true , short bite all i got back was what was in the teaser head. Completley different set up purple haze head madi flasher extra small chovy 44'. Was nice to have an evening without the big winds.**** just noticed im in wrong thread meant to post sooke thread

Too many fish whistles!

Back