2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Headed out to Constance yesterday about 7:30, I wanted to jig/drift for halibut at tide change. On the way out made a stop to see a baby Orca and its mother swim on through ( yellow marker bouy) drifted with a salmon head on a circle hook for a couple of hours using the kicker to stay on top of the line, in 220' to 330' of water but no halibut for me.

Went over to the bank and trolled for several hours, small pink and a couple of shakers. A few guide boats were there & I saw a few nets out, but they were being used to net the pinks. I tried anchovy & herring(5") covered the depths of 35-80', but no big fish love was around.

For those folks who don't place weights in your crab traps, and then say they got stolen, keep in mind the ocean can be swift at times. I noticed a bouy out at the bank that wasn't there in previous tacks, so I brought in my lines and grabbed the bouy and the crab trap that was attached to it. It had travelled all the way from Lummi Island ( the gentlemen has it marked properly) I'll have to contact him and find out how long it's been at sea.

No crabs or bait left in it either

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
My buddy got me into one on the last pass after two hours trolling Macauley Pt last night after work. The buzzer beater was a 7-8 lb hatchery spring, 94 on rigger in 90' water on a white hootchie.

My eldest and I put in a solid effort out front this afternoon. We fished between Saxe Point and the breakwater, bait, hootchies, spoons, tried a dozen or more combos and depths and always had the "pink rod" out the back (no that's not a euphemism for having to pee a lot) running a red hot spot with a pink squirt on a 36" leader.

Nada.

I'm tired of getting skunked.

A little rough for the kid to run to Connie and not enough time to run to Oak Bay to watch @Humpbubble catch fish. Maybe the fish just aren't out front quite yet.

Fished 4-6pm off the breakwater area. Released one small hatchery. Purple haze flasher with a white hootchie. 100ft of water DR at 50ft.

Afternoon shift on the flats. Saw the birds feeding at Brodie rock on the way out so stopped to scoop a few 4" herring. Stuffed one of the wiggly guys in a blue and white tiny teaser with cop car flasher and sent to the bottom. 5 minutes later 10.5 spring. Only fish all afternoon. Tide was ripping, real washing machine out there.

Not much happening on the flats yesterday afternoon saw one boat get the net out. No love for us..... :( tide did rip a bit but overall wasnt too bad. Jigged, trolled, prayed but no luck. Oh well better than being in the office.

I culled one dumb one out of the gene pool today between the breakwater and the green can that was about 14ish. It's still tough going out there. Should be better than this.

I hooked that fish right at the harbour mouth just as the steady stream of Yankee boats that were here for symphony splash weekend were leaving the harbour. Very busy place. :-(

3 hrs trolling pedder bay today without a sniff. 40 boats easy and not a net to be seen....got to get better soon.

Ventured out of the municipality monday, dragging chovys and spoons around the green can from 7-noon.. sniff-less.
They must be gorging during these moonlit tide changes;)

Put in a few hours off Albert Head in the slop tonight. Nada. The waterfront was a complete write off. It was way too rough to fish tonight.

Back