2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

This summer has been super busy for us. Between Ball Hockey, and packing/moving/unpacking, I haven't gotten out fishing for a couple months. Other than a pre-work fish that Gear'n'Beer was kind enough to take me out on, I haven't fished. From reading the forums, I haven't missed much.
Finally, I had a chance to get out with my son today. We hit the water at 7am. We went straight to the green can, and worked the tack there till 915ish. It was super slow, I didn't see a single net out. Looked promising as there were so many guide boats there, but nada for us. My partner fell asleep due to the lack of action. So I decided to troll towards the wall. I get halfway through the harbour mouth when I notice his rod moving oddly. It wasn't a strike, it was more of a bite and get towed. I figured it was something small, but I grabbed the rod and set the hook, and whoah!! I yell at the boy to get up and I hand him the rod. It's peeling line and I realize this is a good fish. I pull the 3rd rod and get his rigger out of the way.After a good spirited fight by both combatants, we were blessed with a 23# in the boat. Just awesome.....

Attachments

• RD.JPG
    RD.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited by a moderator:
Fished 1pm to 3:30pm. Landed a 16# hatchery just back from the green can bouy. 85ft of water, 80ft on the DR. Green teaser head and chovy.. That was the only hit and was the first spring for me off the waterfront in a loooooong time. Spoke to the monitor at the dock before I went out and up to that point he had logged 5 fish for 17 boats..

This summer has been super busy for us. Between Ball Hockey, and packing/moving/unpacking, I haven't gotten out fishing for a couple months. Other than a pre-work fish that Gear'n'Beer was kind enough to take me out
This summer has been super busy for us. Between Ball Hockey, and packing/moving/unpacking, I haven't gotten out fishing for a couple months. Other than a pre-work fish that Gear'n'Beer was kind enough to take me out on, I haven't fished. From reading the forums, I haven't missed much.
Finally, I had a chance to get out with my son today. We hit the water at 7am. We went straight to the green can, and worked the tack there till 915ish. It was super slow, I didn't see a single net out. Looked promising as there were so many guide boats there, but nada for us. My partner fell asleep due to the lack of action. So I decided to troll towards the wall. I get halfway through the harbour mouth when I notice his rod moving oddly. It wasn't a strike, it was more of a bite and get towed. I figured it was something small, but I grabbed the rod and set the hook, and whoah!! I yell at the boy to get up and I hand him the rod. It's peeling line and I realize this is a good fish. I pull the 3rd rod and get his rigger out of the way.After a good spirited fight by both combatants, we were blessed with a 23# in the boat. Just awesome.....

I think he has put more fish in my boat than you have! But you are winning on tyees.....

Monday- Tuesday report:

Slower going for me. On the Monday we released a mature spring about 7-8lbs, shook off a handful of pinks, and lost a nice spring in the teens at the boat. Back out Tuesday and we had one pounding away but my partner took a good 20 seconds to get it out off the rod holder. Safe to say that fish escaped our grasps! A little slow still, but saw plenty of nice fish taken. Should only get better from here on out. Watch out for the idiot jigging the breakwater in an old smaller hourston. Too many times we were forced to weave around him as he did his own thing and cut off numerous boats.

Monday- Tuesday report:

Slower going for me. On the Monday we released a mature spring about 7-8lbs, shook off a handful of pinks, and lost a nice spring in the teens at the boat. Back out Tuesday and we had one pounding away but my partner took a good 20 seconds to get it out off the rod holder. Safe to say that fish escaped our grasps! A little slow still, but saw plenty of nice fish taken. Should only get better from here on out. Watch out for the idiot jigging the breakwater in an old smaller hourston. Too many times we were forced to weave around him as he did his own thing and cut off numerous boats.

Maybe your partner was too busy making breakfast.........you were killing me out there with that smell

Great story rockdog.I love seeing the young ones holding up a nice slab they caught.Brings back memories of the first salmon I hooked into for my stepson which was also
coincidentaly a 23# as well.The look on his face was priceless!Good on you for giving him these great memories.

Has anyone been successful in Hali lately? Or is it too late? Thinking of trying a mixed bag of fishing tomorrow, and I'm open to any helpful info. Would love to take home some Hali in addition to some salmon and crab.

D

Here is "Joanne" besides the Green Chrome, last year this was another one of my go-to's in Sooke. I came up with a crazy idea of matching the teaser head to the water colour, last year the sooke water colour was a little on the teal side which matched to this one, and it worked out well for me.
We call that one egg shell

Well it was a lumpy day of washing bait today. Started off with a long haul out from Macaulay to Pedder Bay. Had a nice wind shelter there for most of the morning, only feeling it when we'd pass the gut between bentink island and the main island. Unfortunately not even a bite. Tried many depths as there were bait balls all over but no luck.

Finally, as the wind really started howling we turned and ran for Victoria. After a brief stop at Macaulay, we tried for one last past of the green can before the fun was starting to get choked out by the wind. All my instruments had gusts pushing over 30kts. Nice to know what my boat can handle.

Hope everyone was safe out there and had better luck then I.

Fished McCauley from 7 to 11 this morning and got one at 11lbs. Anchovies at 68 feet in 90 feet of water.

Attachments

• 20170819_075837.jpg
    20170819_075837.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 51
fished off esquimalt 6-11
counted 65 boats out there today lol
got a nice pinky a little farther out, and a couple shakers out there.

If you were targeting Pinks leaving out of Macaulay where would you go?
I don't have the time to run to Breechy or Pedder but want to take some visiting kids fishing and get into the pinks for a couple hours.
Do they come close to victoria in numbers?

What a gong show today at Macauly to green can buoy- lol thought we were at Beechy head, ton of boats, gear in at 5am ,steady bite for first couple of hours 50 feet and 60 feet small anchovies 4 springs 3 humpys, springs to 16 lbs and some fukashima sized pinks - jesus christ!! clear green teaser head and glow chartreuse flasher was money today in 120 feet at 50 feet on the riggger

What boat you in. We were out in our black Lund. 2 of us with a net standing up in the back.

Last edited:
Back