2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Any reports from the weekend? Or is anyone at least getting pinks? In exchange for JDF derby tickets I'm taking out my 12 year old cousin from Quebec, be nice to have some action out there!

Brands,

Lots of boats out there when I dropped my traps this morning working the waterfront.....I bet you would find something

Anchored up early near Race but only one Dogfish. The wind then picked up and forced me in by the prison. At 11am, one rod cranked over and wouldn't budge more than 3 feet off the bottom. I dropped anchor and tied the line on the cleat hoping to break it off the bottom. The line wouldn't release but the dead weight started moving towards the surface. After 20 minutes a massive, giant pacific octopus appeared. He ate the pink head but got the circle hook in the arm. I popped the hook out and off he went.

Fished Constance today from 6:30 until noon. Had some action early on. Released a couple of wild coho, and a too small spring. Had a nice hatch coho on that was more October size, but after a good fight, it broke my leader at the knot. I gotta remember to re-tie my knots! A few other bites that didn't stick, all on anchovy. Quite a few boats out there. It would be nice to know if any decent springs were caught?

It's been a little frustrating lately, but I looked back through reports from last year, this forum and Island Outfitters, and it was pretty similar. Slow in July and didn't really pick up until almost mid August.

not love in oak bay last night. Jiiged the usual spots and trolled the flats for a bit. awesome night on the water with no wind and a cool looking sun. Humpbubble, was that you heading to the flats just before 7 last night? We were jigging the kelp beds just outside the OBM breakwater.

not love in oak bay last night. Jiiged the usual spots and trolled the flats for a bit. awesome night on the water with no wind and a cool looking sun. Humpbubble, was that you heading to the flats just before 7 last night? We were jigging the kelp beds just outside the OBM breakwater.
Yep hard to miss my weird rig!
We hit the flats and ended the eve at the gap..my buddy lost one nice one. Only spring we saw.
What a sweet, never ending, apocalypse now sunset!
Going out deep for Hali straight after work, maybe jig some pinks while we sit.

FYI, I've noticed some decent bait balls with birds and such working hard on "disturbed" water 1-2 miles south of Discovery and Trial islands this week. I haven't been fishing just cruising past, but they've been big enough to peak my interest. Would be hard to see them from distance in a small boat, but if it was nice and I was fishing I'd probably head out and look for them...

Fished south of discovery yesterday from 230-6 for hali. Just dogs for me. Definitely large bait balls nearby for several hours just southeast of the shipping lanes. had me considering pulling the hali gear and doing some trolling, but I could hear the whales coming up to breath around the bait balls. I think it was humpbacks or pilot whales driving the bait to the surface, as I saw no salmon on the sounder under me and never saw any seals or sea lions.

Trolled brotchie to clover and back for 2hrs this eve. Nada. Anchovies at 65 and 40 feet. I think I will take up knitting...lol. Maybe should have stayed in oak bay

Took the kids out from 2-6:30 and anchored a few miles off Albert Hd. Not much at first but then solid dogfish action after 5. Gave the girls lots of practice reeling up dogs from 280ft. No hali.

Back