2015 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

Anyone have the results of the day or a picture of the leader board thus far? Would be great to see!

015863abb2a70d3683df8b44cde1a8d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34.4 won it and it took a 27 pound fish to make the top 10 by the end of the derby. So more bigger fish taken on Sunday,

Someone has a snapshot of the final leader board?
The Derby really lucked out with excellent fishing this year. Pretty much everyone caught fish as far as I could see. Thanks to the organizers, it is A LOT of work that goes into an event as such. But maybe I can note a few points for improvement in the future as well; the weigh in needs to go quicker - there is too much with this ticket here and that slip there etc. The line up was brutal! Also, the dinner and prize draw was wayyy too long. And while there were some top notch prizes for few, the vast majority went home with nothing. Maybe have more lower value prizes for more people. Food was ok but not great for a $150 ticket.

Too those who want to complain about the second year for a derby of this size. Give your head a shake. As one of the founding members of the old Jaun De Fuca derby. I can tell you it takes one hell of a pile of work to pull one of these off. Generally speaking it is difficult to find enough volunteers to fill all the spaces and keep every one happy.

The derby after all is to promote Salmon Enhancement and have a fun outing of competitive fishing on fathers day. Rollie, Chris and the others that put this Derby on deserve a pat on the back for their efforts. Not picked apart because of a minor mistake in record keeping for a draw prize.

Constructive criticism is always a good thing, as mistakes can be improved upon. People also learn over time, as well. I'm sure all the derby management left yesterday with new ideas in mind for next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a web site or page to see the top 10 winners and all the other winners as well? I couldn't make it to the banquet/awards. Thanks

Bloodbuggy... I may be mistaken but I don't think there was any list posted at the derby for all fish weighed in.
Just a list of people who had their name pulled in the draw from fish weighed in and a list of draw prize winners that did not weigh in a fish.
I too weighed in fish and my name did not appear anywhere. Because I did not place top 10 and I did not get drawn for anything.

Best to e-mail the organizers rather than post here.

Great improvements in the Derby and Wind up this year.
I am sure this derby will continue to refine and improve as we go forward.

I did not know anyone in the top 10 but had a few buddies win great prizes. Some for weighing in and some for just buying a ticket.
Right Freyed Knot? (let me know if you need a partner on that Tuna Trip you won)

Good Job to the Organizers!
Thanks for arranging great weather, good fishing!

Tips

It was a great event and having participated in the banana challenge and the following two fathers day derbies I can see the improvements year to year. Especially the wind up - posting most of the prizes via a spreadsheet and only announcing the big prize winners I thought was great. It went quickly and smoothly compared to previous years and other derbies I've participated in. Keep up the good work.

Edit: Barrie I think the ladies fish was 27 pounds (and I think they gave her the ladies category plus a top 10 prize for that), and the junior was 16 pounds and change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have edited some of the posts in this thread. If you have an issue with something that occurred during the event, take it up with the organizers. As our posting guidelines state, keep your personal issues personal. Constructive comments or ideas are more than welcome, but we have worked hard to eliminate comments of a personal nature that end up in a heated discussion that divides our community.

Brian

I thought it was a really well run event . Have been in other derby's and for a second year I think they did an excellent job .
My fishing partner/son only weighed in one small fish and myself nothing , But I did win that Fabulous draw prize for 4 tuna fishing , Who to take both my kids(they are 14)reply was we are going Tuna fishing . :( I don't think I have a choice !

My hats of to Chris , Rollie and all the organizers

Thanks to everyone that worked so hard to put on such a great event. Don't allow any whiners in next year.
Stosh

Thank you to those who came up afterwards and thanked me and Chris for out efforts and for those doing the same here. That is what can makes the difference between wondering why you do this and knowing why you do. i sincerely hope everyone had a great weekend, that was the goal.

Great Derby! Everyone i talked to had a great time!! This derby has come a long way in two years, hats off to Chris, Rollie, and there team of volunteer's. Also to all the Sponsors! If you did not get in this year, you should next year for sure!

I don't know what has been said ( nor do I want to know) to require the admin to remove posts but have to assume they had a nasty tone. Hate to go to a negative place but it needs to be said. There are only a few select people that I will take criticism from about the derby, the rest of you sorry in one ear and out the other. I will listen to criticism from myself, over 200 hours non paid time into this event, Chris Bos the same, the other "to few" volunteers who had roles in this event and from George Wetherell and his crew who have 25 years under their belts. In fact anyone who has helped at any derby at least once you have my ear! The organizers know where the shortcomings were, we feel it when things can't be pulled off as hoped...we try but with so little manpower and with those who were helping all running around doing multiple tasks it isn't easy. I feel bad about not having the time to mingle and chat and thank people for participating more. In fact on banquet day that is all me and Chris should be doing, beyond the stage presentations. There will be lots of things discussed at the debrief, but even with good ideas presented to fix problem areas, you still can't implement them without more help. As an example....I now strongly believe we need one person who's sole job is to learn the entire derby inside and out so they know as much about all details as me and Chris do. On banquet day that person is the only go to person for all staff if they need anything, have problems, have questions etc....me and Chris should be out of bounds so we can focus on the stage and the crowd. Myself being pulled here and there to troubleshoot last minute details, organize the draws in the back room so they got done in time and in the correct order, being on stage, running up and down for pictures, calling an auction for the first time ever.....and honestly guys and sadly I mean this....that was the only part of the day when I had a good time. I learned I could call an auction and not make an butt of myself. Otherwise it was full on stress and not a good time for me. I was happy with how the George Wetherell tribute went and I'm happy that he,had a chance to be recognized by many who fished his derby and who were in the room. So in a nut shell....everyone on the derby committee wants to have the best run and liked derby ever run. For those who criticise and want the derby to improve to the next level next year, my number is in the book, we have some jobs for you. We are still running with the same very small group of volunteers who signed on back with the 130 ticket Banana Challenge that was held in a field at Pedder Bay. This is my own personal rant and opinions.

Back