2015 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

The owner of the Subway stores at 103-1790 Island Hwy, 100-2945 Jacklin Rd and 1085-2244 Sooke Rd has given us about 200 vouchers for $1.99 2nd sandwiches when you buy the first sub and a drink. We'll hand those out to anyone who wants them at the registration nights. They are good until June 30th this year. A good deal and easy way to have some boat food for the derby weekend.

Kaelc, we had a meeting Tuesday night at the Gorge Pointe Pub and we discussed the issue of volunteers. Chris will be asking for derby help at the AGM and will also follow up with an email to all SVIAC members as well. Thanks for your offer. You can reach Chris directly with an email at chris@anglerscoalition.com. He will put you on a call up list. Rollie

I just picked up 2 copies of this stainless salmon for our junior and ladies trophies. They will be mounted in beach stones set into a wooden base so it looks like the salmon is jumping from a stream. The ones I had made are about 20 inches in size and were made courtesy of Innovative 3D Cad Design, Victoria Waterjet and Crest Sheet Metal

I just picked up 2 copies of this stainless salmon for our junior and ladies trophies. They will be mounted in beach stones set into a wooden base so it looks like the salmon is jumping from a stream. The ones I had made are about 20 inches in size and were made courtesy of Innovative 3D Cad Design, Victoria Waterjet and Crest Sheet Metal

That is a beautiful trophy,pro.Anyone would be proud to put that on the mantlepiece!

I agree they will be very nice when done. Ceanesse Cabinets are going to make the wooden bases for them once I give them a drawing. A friend is also building us a Cedar Fish Display Box for the leading/winning fish. It should be big enough to hold the top 3 and the hatchery winners. The box will have a front glass panel and a removeable top installed. It will also have an inner plexi glass liner with tiered trays for the fish to sit in. The fish will be kept on ice and there is a drain for any melted water to escape. The inner liner will keep the ice/water from direct contact with the wood. We have had generous contributions to make this box from Forward Automotive, Road's End Contraction, Van Isle Windows, Reimer Hardwoods and from Don Drover of Precision Woodworking who is the craftsman building it. The box is pictured unfinished and just getting some coats of polyurethane.

Me and Chris have recently heard that a few people who are used to a more traditional derby format will not be purchasing tickets this year and thus not supporting SVIAC or the derby. Traditional being that all the premium prizes are awarded strictly to those who catch the heaviest fish and only the lesser value items are awarded by draws. Those people have to look at it from the organizers and sponsors perspective. As organizers we want to have a successful derby that will continue to run for many years. A derby that raises significant funds that allows us to undertake worthy SVIAC projects and lobby on behalf of recreational anglers and fish. It is very difficult to defend a derby that exclusively targets and rewards participants with prizes for catching only the largest fish, especially during early timed Fraser River restrictions. Take a look at what is happening in recent years....fish are getting smaller and fish over 30 pounds are becoming rare. I'm not getting into the politics of who is to blame, just that we have to deal with the hand dealt to us. With the format we have opted for we can defend this derby to anyone who may choose to suggest we are adding to the problem. As the person on the front line of recruiting sponsors I can tell you that most of the critical and most generous to the derby are on board with this policy. They need to be able to defend their support of the derby as well.
So our format allows for the friendly competition for those who enjoy that by having premium prizes for the top 10 Chinook, heaviest hatchery Chinook, heaviest by a Junior and also heaviest by a lady angler. We will also have a combined weight prize. There will also be our winner take all team jackpots with options to buy into $100, $250, $500 and $1000 jackpots. There will also be the accumulator exact weight jackpot again this year which continues to grow until won.
The rest of the premium prizes are awarded by draw to those who simply register a legal fish regardless of the weight. This appeals to the majority of folks who just want a fun fishing weekend and who think they have little chance at beating out the areas top rods for prizes in a derby. We understand that some will be disappointed that they just missed the top ten prize board and also ended up being unlucky in the draws. It is possible that someone who entered a 20 pound salmon could be leaving without a prize while someone who entered a 12 pounder leaves with a premium draw prize. Just remember it is a draw and next year it could be you with the 12 pounder walking out with a nice prize!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do realize we will never make everyone happy too. Chris is in fact over in Vancouver again today (30th) working hard as usual and attending a meeting where he gets one more chance to promote and defend (to the other stakeholders) the permanent no worse than zone 2 proposal that he brought forward and that DFO now supports and is pushing for as well. It is one last chance to influence before the minister makes a decision. If it was not for the paid members of SVIAC and the proceeds from this derby Chris would not be there today. There is no support for expenses to be covered to attend this meeting in Vancouver today. The SVIAC board decided to pay Chris's expenses to ensure we take advantage of every opportunity to have this motion adopted this year. This is what a $40 membership does for you.

Your event format is just fine. Haters will be haters no matter how far you bend. Stick to the concept you believe in and enjoy the success with your supporters. The jealousy of the haters will be their own reward.

Personally, I think the format is awesome. My friend and I camp and fish with our 2 boys. A tradition we started last year, and one we hope to continue for many years to come. It is because of this format, that we have optimism and we show up at the Derby feeling like we have a chance. We aren't pro's, but we do get fish once in a while. It's awesome that it I don't need a 40 pounder to win something. That's actually why I don't enter too many other derbies. For the haters, who cares we don't need them anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first of the pub nights and derby registration is only a few days away. They are 6pm to 9pm on Monday May 11th at the Loghouse Pub, Tuesday May 12th at the Langford Darcy's Pub (formerly the Station House pub) and the last night is Thursday May 21st at the Tally Ho Sports Bar. Those who already have tickets will get their derby window stickers, t-shirts/hats and prize/rules booklet handouts. The winner take all team jackpots with $100, $250, $500 and $1000 buy ins will be available as will the exact weight accumulator jackpot which has a jackpot that grows until won. Cash or cheque only for all the jackpots. There will also be derby tickets and SVIAC memberships available for those who haven't yet purchased tickets or who need to renew their memberships. For those who will be coming to buy tickets on one of these nights we ask that you contact myself or Chris Bos beforehand by email. (sscl@shaw.ca or chris@anglerscoalition.com) Include your name, phone, email, t-shirt size, let us know if you are a SVIAC member and if so the member number. We will then have your tickets pre-assigned to you and in an envelope for you to pick up at the pub nights. This will allow us to get you through the registration night in a quick fashion.
There will also be extra awards banquet meal tickets available for $15.00 We are encouraging anyone who may have a few drinks at the wrap up event to invite a friend or family member to join them for a meal and to be the designated driver.

Our leaders fish display box is out of the wood shop and ready for the plexi-glass liner to be fitted next. It will hold 4 large salmon easily and the plan is to have them elevated towards the back in plexiglass V troughs and laying in shaved ice. We plan on approaching existing local derbies to see if they are interested in helping with the cost to have this made in return for the use of it for their own derbies. Another fine piece of work by Don Drover of Precision Woodworking. A big thank you to Road's End Contracting for helping cover some of the costs. Other contributors were Forward Automotive, Reimer Hardwoods and Van Isle Windows.

Two derby registration nights down and only more to go. The last night is Thursday May 21st (6pm to 9pm) at the Tally Ho Sports Bar.

Just another reminder that this Thursday night from 6-9 at the Tally Ho is the last of our 3 derby registration nights. You are required to attend one night to pick up your rod window stickers, rule/prize booklet, t-shirts, hats and get into any of the winner take all derby jackpots.

There are still sponsorship opportunities for companies or individuals who would like to support the derby and also get a derby ticket this year. A $500 cash donation to our prize board will get you a free derby ticket (value $200.00) and also get your company recognized with year round website exposure as one of our Silver level sponsors. We will be at the Tally Ho tonight from 6-9pm for our last of 3 pub night derby registration events. We will have regular and sponsor tickets available there tonight.

The organizing crew have just confirmed the addition of one final derby registration night. It will be held at the Tally Ho Sports Bar on Tuesday June 16th from 6-9pm. This will be the last chance before the derby to register and get your rod window sticker(s) , rule/prize booklet handout, t-shirts/hats and enter the team jackpots ($100, $250, $500 & $1000) and $20 accumulator jackpot. The accumulator exact weight jackpot is currently at $5,000.00. This last night is to give the few ticket holders who have yet to attend a registration night one last opportunity to do so. It will also allow those who buy derby tickets from now until the 16th to get registered, pick up their swag and enter the jackpots. There are still over 100 tickets still available, mainly as a result of people who entered last year but who are unable to this year. Most of the additional 200 new tickets have sold. Once these last tickets have sold the derby will be difficult to get tickets for in the future.

I just got our new Junior and Ladies trophies back after Ceanesse Kitchens made the oak bases. They look awesome even without the badges on them, which will be done in the next week or so.

Back