2015 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

The remaining of the 200 additional tickets are now in our retail ticket outlets. Island Outfitters, Wise Buys and Alpine Marine have tickets. There are only about 150 left and as most buyers take 2 or 3 it means only 50 to 60 more boats will get in. After this year all 500 ticket holders from this years event will have first right of refusal on those tickets, so very few if any will become available after this year. You will get a derby info sheet with each ticket and it is important that you read it as you must attend one of 3 registration nights in May. There you will get your window stickers, t-shirts, hats, rule/prize booklet and have the chance to enter the jackpots being offered. You can enter winner take all jackpots with $100, $250, $500 and $1,000 buy ins. Our retailers should also ask you for your t-shirt size at time of the ticket purchase. We want everyone to have a t-shirt that fits them.

Nice presentation Bloodbuggy!!!

Myself and Chris Bos will be at the 6 Mile Pub on March 19th from 5:30 to 8:30. Anyone who was in the derby last year and who would like to pick up their tickets for this years derby can meet us there and do so. We will also have SVIAC memberships on hand as well. Payment is cash or cheque. If you can't make that evening you can pay for your tickets either online by paypal at www.anglerscoalition.com or mail payment to SVIAC. In both cases your tickets can be mailed back to you or left in an envelope at one of our ticket retailers for you to pick up. Anyone who had tickets last year has until April 4th at 5pm to pay for this years tickets. If payment has not been received those tickets will be made available to our retailers for general sales to the public.
The tickets being sold at the retailers are only for those who did not have tickets last year. If you had tickets last year you will get the same ticket numbers as we have a spread sheet already created. Not following this creates a lot more unnecessary work for Chris Bos who has to change all the data...it also means I have to tear apart books of tickets and recreate sales forms for the vendors.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was nice to see many of last years ticket holders at the 6 Mile last night. Just a reminder to the few who are grandfathered in and who have yet to pay for this years tickets that the deadline is fast approaching. April 4th is the last day your tickets will be held back from general sales. There are only about 100 of the 200 extra tickets remaining so sales are brisk at the retailers for the new tickets for 2015 and they will sell out before the event. Me and Chris are contemplating one more evening, possibly at the Esquimalt Anglers Clubhouse before April 4th to give the few remaining one last chance to pick up their tickets in person. Payment can also be made with Paypal at (www.anglerscolition.com) or by cheque sent to Chris or myself. Cheques should be made out to SVIAC.

Will there be another night next week to pick up tickets for people who bought last year? Or should I just pay on the website?

Not sure as Chris is really busy with SFAB work and SVIAC. We have both been to multiple meetings this past week. Chris did mention trying to have one more night but I'm thinking he is trying to do too much. If you buy them online I can either mail them to you or drop them off at one of our retail outlets for you to pick up. They would be in an envelope with your name on it.

Me and Chris have decided on one more night at the 6 Mile on Thursday April 2 from 5:30 to 8:30 so that those who were in the derby last year have one last chance to meet us and pick up this years tickets before the April 4th deadline. You can still pay online through (www.anglerscoalition.com) with paypal or mail us a cheque. If you have not made arrangements for your tickets by 5:30pm on April 4th your tickets will be made available to the general public and those people who purchase the tickets will then be grandfathered into the 2016 event.
This is the last year there will ever be a ticket increase so once all 500 tickets are sold it will be very difficult and a long wait to get back into the derby. There are now less than 100 of the new tickets left for sale so your chance to be included into this event will be drawing to a close soon.

I got to go do some of the fun stuff this afternoon that happens once in awhile when you organize an event like this. Tom Whyte of Intercon Marine signed on as a Gold Member this year and made a generous cash donation to the derby. I got to go shopping today and spend his money! Thanks Tom it was fun. ;) As the Langford Canadian Tire became a Platinum Level sponsor this year it was only fair that I spend some of the money there and give them our support in return. I walked out the door with a very nice Coleman backyard barbecue, an awesome Cuisinart portable barbecue and a couple of sets of 400 piece Maximum tool/socket sets. I was able to double the value of Tom's initial sponsorship and thank Canadian Tire in the process!!! We still have more cash to spend and would be quite happy to receive more. Our eventual goal for this derby is that every entrant walks away with something.

Wow we were busy last night and didn't get a break to eat a dinner until just before 9pm last night. Good to see so many familiar faces. Today is the last day that tickets from those who were in the derby last year will be held back from general public sales. You can pay online at www.anglerscoalition.com to secure your spot.
We had a couple of upset people last night who were under the impression that they could still get tickets at the discount price for guests who are not members. Just to be clear we decided that beginning this year that anyone who will be registering a fish on a discounted ticket must be a member of SVIAC or pay the full price of $200 for their ticket.
As this is a SVIAC hosted and sponsored event it is only fair that only members of SVIAC receive a discount. Our members have each made a $40 contribution to help us achieve our goals which will benefit both them and fish. So all members who enter the derby pay a combined $190 for their ticket. ($40 membership and $150 per ticket). It is not fair that a person not being a member, who is not supporting SVIAC gets a ticket for a total payment of $150. We purposely structured the derby ticket price at the level we did to cover expenses and allow us to have our target funds left over to help finance our current projects. We also hoped we would increase our membership numbers by being cheaper to join SVIAC and get a ticket than not to. More members means a louder voice when we lobby!

Good job Rollie,I know there's a ton of work required to pull off a derby of this size,ask the "Wetheralls".I went the online route to buy my membership and tickets.Do you mail hats or T-shirts with tickets or do I pickup later if there are any this time?Thanks for all your hard work organizing this great derby,Ray

Ray, we can mail your tickets or drop them off in an envelope with your name on it at one of our retail outlets for you to pick up at your convenience. You will get an info sheet with your ticket that explains the registration nights in May where you get your window stickers, t-shirts, hats, rule/prize booklets and can enter the Team Jacpots which this year are $100 - $250 - $500 - $1000. Enter none, one or all, your choice. The $20 accumulator hidden weight will also be available there too. Next year there will be no tickets sold through the retailers as they will all be grandfathered tickets to those who bought this year. We will hand them out a dUring the May registration nights for the 2016 event. That will save us (me) a ton of work and headaches.

Which ever is easiest for you Rollie,mail or I visit Trotac and Outfitters ocassionally.Thanks

Ray I have to wait until Monday to get ticket info from Chris. He is away on the mainland for meetings with DFO. Once I have that info I will let you know.

Just to let everyone in on something we were working on and have just had confirmed. West Jet just confirmed that they are helping us this year with a round trip for 2 from Vancouver direct to Cabo San Lucas. Stu Young had already offered up a couple days of offshore big game fishing with himself on his boat which is kept down there as a prize. We will now have a complete package including accommodation, flights and fishing. Bonus you get to fish with mayor Stu Young!!! Having met Stu for the first time since helping to organize thisd erby I know who ever goes on this trip will have a blast!!!

For those who purchased tickets online in the past few weeks, they are in the mail as of this morning. Me and Chris got together last night and spent 4 hours updating the ticket holder list. Watched the game while we worked.
For those who intend to buy tickets just a heads up. We will be putting in our T-shirt order by April 21st. Those who have tickets already and who have given us shirt sizes are assured of getting the size they ordered. For those who miss this deadline we can only say you are likely to get the right size as we will be guestimating for the remainder. A few of the latest entries may not get a size they want for themselves.

To show you guys the quality of prizes and sponsors we have attracted to this derby to date I'm going to post an unofficial top 10 prize list. The prizes are official but the order (place) they may end up might get tweaked between now and derby weekend. It really depends on what else comes in that might bump a prize downward or off the top ten board. So here is our current list.
1st. $20,000.00 cash heaviest salmon overall (zone 2 restrictions) & $5,000.00 for heaviest hatchery salmon (zone 2) SPONSORED BY SVIAC
2nd. Zodiac Compact 250 8'2" with 8HP Mercury and 1000LB trailer value $5200.00 SPONSORED BY ALPINE MARINE
3rd. Yamaha 9.9 high thrust electric start tiller value $3565.00 SPONSORED BY SG POWER PRODUCTS
4th. Sun Dolphin Pro 102 Fishing Boat, Minn Kota Powerdrive V2Trolling Motor, Hummingbird 196C IPortable Fish Finder and equipment value $2499.00 SPONSORED BY LANGFORD CANDAIAN TIRE
5TH. Lowrance Gen2 HDS7 Sounder with Sonic Hub and Gold Chart value $2165.00 SPONSORED BY ISLAND OUTFITTERS
6th. 10 X 12 Camo Material Camp Tent & Equipment Value TBD SPONSORED BY POLAR BEAR EQUIPMENT
7TH. Complete Halibut Fishing Package/ anchor system, rod/reel/line and gear value $1500.00 SPONSORED BY TROTAC MARINE
8th. 2 - 60" Scotty High Performance Downriggers value $1300.00 SPONSORED BY SCOTTY
9th. Islander MR-2LA Reel and Sage SA 3106 Deluxe Mooching Rod value $1300.00 SPONSORED BY ISLANDER REELS AND ISLAND OUTFITTERS
10th. Yamaha Generator/Inverter value $1299.00 SPONSORED BY SHERWOOD MARINE CENTRE

Largest Salmon By Junior Angler - Rocky Mountain Bike & $250 prize package with trophies SPONSORED BY MARTY'S MOUNTAIN CYCLE - ROCKY MOUNTAIN BIKES - ADVANCE COLLISON & LANGFORD CANADIAN TIRE
There will be a high value prize for the largest halibut and largest salmon caught by a lady angler. Also a 2 day combined weight prize.

A BIG THANK YOU TO THOSE SPONSORS CURRENTLY IN OUR TOP TEN!!! We have many more prizes that are of equal or higher value that are being awarded by draw to those who simply register a fish at the weigh station. To date over $80,000 in prizes and more to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there some left. Island Outfitters, Wise Buys and Alpine Marine all have a supply at this time. They also have SVIAC memberships. You can also order them online at (www.anglerscoalition.com) and use paypal. SVIAC also has its annual AGM this Thursday night (23rd) at 7:30pm in the Orchid Room at the Sandman Hotel, 2582 Douglas Street, Victoria. We will have both derby tickets and memberships available there s well.
Chris Bos will be explaining the Sooke River Chinook Revitalization Project that SVIAC is working on. This would bring up to 2,000,000 new Chinook into Juan De Fuca Strait. He will also update everyone on his efforts to get areas 19/20 out of zone 1 restrictions for good. We hope to have a big turnout!!

Back