2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished West Van yesterday. Little lumpy early on then settled down nicely at afternoon/evening slack. Consistent bite throughout the day. Fished in 40 -70 ft range with most hits 27- 37 ft on rigger. Released 2 Sockeye, 1 wild Coho and 8 pinks. Kept 1 hatchery Coho and lost several at the boat. All in all a fun day on the water.

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to salmon sport fishing around Vancouver.
Anyone been across to the Thrasher Area lately? I haven't heard much from there for a while? It's starting to get a bit crowded around West Van for me. I've some good results off of Pt. Atkinson over the past few weeks however.

Thrasher in my opinion has slowed down. I used to go over to valdes island and really had no luck at this time of year. Could be because I was not really familiar with the area though. I would you are better to stay on this side, if its to crowded maybe try the sand heads or T-10 area. Going out tomorrow after work and I will give an update!
Scott

Well at the cap last night for 3 hrs and 4 pinks in the boat with no sight of any cohos or chinooks. Anyone else have any updates?

I was out last night and had lots of hits but only one stuck. Unfortunately the hook went in the mouth and out the eye so I ended up keeping him. It was 25" so just barely legal. My 3 month old and I went out this morning and had one monster slam that sent the squirt 2/3 of the way to the flasher but it was gone when I grabbed the rod. Anyhow plenty of hits around the tide change and I picked up a pink for our first fishing trip with my son. I don't normally take pics of pinks but this one is our first fish just me and my boy. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375407059.438862.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375407075.154408.jpg

The pinks I catch are for my bull terrier. If you look close enough you can see her trying to eat the tail.

Cannibal Chris

I was out last night and had lots of hits but only one stuck. Unfortunately the hook went in the mouth and out the eye so I ended up keeping him. It was 25" so just barely legal. My 3 month old and I went out this morning and had one monster slam that sent the squirt 2/3 of the way to the flasher but it was gone when I grabbed the rod. Anyhow plenty of hits around the tide change and I picked up a pink for our first fishing trip with my son. I don't normally take pics of pinks but this one is our first fish just me and my boy. View attachment 8359View attachment 8360
The pinks I catch are for my bull terrier. If you look close enough you can see her trying to eat the tail.
Cannibal Chris

For Your Dog..............
You should try throwing a fresh one on that BBQ, Great tasting fish
and also great smoked

Last edited by a moderator:
Bull Terriers deserve the best !! If they open sockeye you'll have to let him/her try a piece of soc ! ( had two Bull Terriers myself over the years)

That's exactly what we do for her.....BBQ the fish and one lasts about 5 days. I got out again this morning and kept 2 clipped coho and a couple more pinks. I released 3 clipped, 1 wild and about 6 pinks. Good day out there except for the idiot that came with in 2 feet of T-boning me at the cap mouth with all of 2 other boats in the area. 3 of us at the mouth and he just about hit me. Next time if i see that boat again i am going to start throwing **** at him if he gets with in 20 feet of me. All but one fish were caught west of the pink apartments on white squirt. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375478119.032585.jpg

Cannibal Chris.

Nice fish CC. I also feed my german shepherd pinks. He absolutely loves them. I pressure cook them though to soften the bones and mix the broth and meat with his other food. Gives them a very healthy coat!

Hey Scotty can you really call them friends if your giving them pinks? I think the squirt is a white uv and since started using 50 lb leader for my hootchies I have had lots of good action out there. Here's a pic for you.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375489146.641360.jpg

Thanks, cc. Was out today and managed 6 pinks and one lone hatchery coho. The story of the day was the triple header! 2 pinks on pink hootchie s and the back surface rod with an anchovie with a one ounce weight. That's the second pinkie caught on an anchovie?? Is anybody willing to give up there brine for pink salmon on the smoker. I have used maple syrup, brown sugar, salt and honey on sockeye and loved it, with a big chief smoker. One of my friends has some in some sort of a sriracha sauce brine that we started last night. Any expert advice would be appreciated. Smoked lots of fish in my day just looking for something inspirational. Thanks for your help! Scott

Fished T10 today. Had a good one on first 5 mins. Rookie buddy Grabbed rod set hook but didn't set tension, first run, snapped the leader. Caught an undersize, a wild coho, and a pink. Had 2 other poppers that didn't stick. Lots of sharks took away from fishing time, probably caught 20 of them on chovie, fished hoochies after. There are fish out there. Only 4-5 other boats in area, others 2 boats I talked to had one nice 20 + each. Next weekend I will give it another go. Anyone else out?

Thanks, cc. Was out today and managed 6 pinks and one lone hatchery coho. The story of the day was the triple header! 2 pinks on pink hootchie s and the back surface rod with an anchovie with a one ounce weight. That's the second pinkie caught on an anchovie?? Is anybody willing to give up there brine for pink salmon on the smoker. I have used maple syrup, brown sugar, salt and honey on sockeye and loved it, with a big chief smoker. One of my friends has some in some sort of a sriracha sauce brine that we started last night. Any expert advice would be appreciated. Smoked lots of fish in my day just looking for something inspirational. Thanks for your help! Scott

I just did a basic salmon university very basic recjpe and everybody loved them. Next time I'm adding a little seasoning but just attempting to improve on something that's already great!

I have 2 shepherds and imho you don't get better than that. Even so they get the scraps steamed. Careful guys, raw salmon can kill a dog. The smoker works great for pinks.

Late out today even though I was at Skyline marina at 5:30. Thought about offering up an empty seat to a member, glad I didn't. Total cluster screw up for a rookie moorer!

Anyways, out for the afternoon high at 2, finally, stayed and made it pay with a 17lb red at the T10 at 4:30. A little salvation for a day that went really bad. Solos always fun, and this guy acted real big with a seal in between. Nice seal mind you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be out next weekend 9&10 probably head towards Fraser and areas. Might try cap on the way out. I'm a rookie on the salt so we will see what I can drag up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back