2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were out on Sat. Had atleast 15 bites, only put 4 of them in the boat. What is up with those fish? Never have I been out and lost that many.

Folks, remember a few things with this fishery.
1. don't set the hook too hard, the have soft lips (coho)
2. don't bother taking time to adjust drag, just reel the suckers straight in, keep tension at all times and don't let the fish fight, surf em in. we all use gear that shouldn't beak on coho
3. let the coho suck the bait in. Don't set on the first 2 tugs, wait for the third.

Seems elementary but sometimes we forget or are in Chinook mode.

Cheers

Re Stones post....

take that with a grain of salt 'folks' as if you are fishing soley for meat and not much fun, you could use this method.
However I don't think Stones must have experienced any of those big hog coho yesterday that hit like a freight train and leap and jump right away off the clip !! Ok horse that in lol ! NO need to hook set those fish !! Yes for the smaller ones sure go ahead and wind like crazy if you wanna have less fun ( and 'don't let them fight ? ) to get em to the boat fast....in fact forget the net just handline em in! Meat is what its about right?
Also many of the hits and loses yesterday are coming from pinks ...they are the ones with the soft mouths and likely alot of the losses are the pinks. Unless you have a bigger hook with thicker guage steel, Pinks will come off alot. If you horse a pink you are likely to rip the hook out. Horsing a coho can also rip the hook so personally I like to get some sport out of em before I land or lose em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Peahead, where were you getting most of your hits? In shallow 20-30 feet or out deeper in the 40-65 feet deep water? I've done best in shallow 20' with lines at 18' but haven't had as many hookups as you did!

Cheers

Was intended to be with a grain of salt....thank peahead.

Folks, remember a few things with this fishery.
1. don't set the hook too hard, the have soft lips (coho)
2. don't bother taking time to adjust drag, just reel the suckers straight in, keep tension at all times and don't let the fish fight, surf em in. we all use gear that shouldn't beak on coho
3. let the coho suck the bait in. Don't set on the first 2 tugs, wait for the third.

Seems elementary but sometimes we forget or are in Chinook mode.

Cheers

Did anyone do well with coho vs. pinks off West Van yesterday? I put in 3 hours in the a.m. and shook off 8 pinks and only got 1 hatchery in the boat. Couldn't figure out if it was the gear, the depth or the onslaught of pinks that was the issue.

I was off west van today for 2 hours. One pink and one hatchery that got off at the boat. Both hit green splatter back hootchies at 18' in 25' water off Fisheries.

I like to use one bigger hook for the coho, and usually set the hook pretty good, reel a little back the drag right off, play them and just pull em in by the flasher if hatchery. Coho fishing in van is pretty fun with some hard hitting fish. Kinda missing out on them right now. Pretty exciting getting doubles triples and even quads.

I seem to loose most of them at the boat trying to identify hatchery or wild. My eyes aint the best. All part of it. Just great being out there. I havent taken one home myself, sharing the experience with those that don't normally get it. That being said, I just moored the boat for two months this weekend for the first time. So I hope to get out a whole lot more...

Hey Peahead, where were you getting most of your hits? In shallow 20-30 feet or out deeper in the 40-65 feet deep water? I've done best in shallow 20' with lines at 18' but haven't had as many hookups as you did!

Cheers

30-50' with lines generally 20 -35' .

Did anyone do well with coho vs. pinks off West Van yesterday? I put in 3 hours in the a.m. and shook off 8 pinks and only got 1 hatchery in the boat. Couldn't figure out if it was the gear, the depth or the onslaught of pinks that was the issue.

I had lotsa action Sunday with both coho and Pinks. A few doubles as well although doubles were mosty pinks. Overall a bit higher percentage of pinks vs coho . There are some big coho mixed in with smaller ones. There were slow spells too though and that's typical of bite lulls and finding schools where the bite is on. If you troll faster for the coho that cuts the pink catch down a bit, also if you are hitting pinks and are looking for only coho, move off that spot a bit and get away from the pink school.

I was out yesterday from 05:30 - 13:00. Managed three nice hatchery. Two on a spoon with a red stripe down one side and 8ft leader at 61ft the other on a green splatter back hootchie at 42ft and a 34 in leader. All the action for me came off the point just east of fisheries. 6 hits on the day and one of them took my hootchie clean off, left my flasher and my leader. Maybe a good fish or I was bad guy and did not check my leader...;( either way was a great day out there... J

Anyone going to try for Fraser reds over the other way red can or T10's? Opening up this weekend should be a few fish around. Cap mouth has been so good might be tuff to move.

The Vedder has been producing LOTS of springs. Methinks they are around ;)

Anyone going to try for Fraser reds over the other way red can or T10's? Opening up this weekend should be a few fish around. Cap mouth has been so good might be tuff to move.

I heard of guys fishing "outside the triangle" at sandheads.... I thought it was closed until the 27th??? can anyone clarify or are they wrong??? They netted some beauties.

Thought I'd give the south coast springs a break and fish port hardy for a few days!! Spectacular fishing up here!! image.jpg

Holy Crap boneman! your my hero.
never a bad report, nice work

Isn't it always the way, look forward to the weekend, opening springs, and northwest 15-25. Doh! Maybe the cap won't be so bad but that is a pretty strong wind in the wrong direction. Although buddy said red can dead zone, might be better in a week, typically first week of Aug gets good around that area?

Fished the West Van shore last night for the last few hours of light , one long tack from the cap mouth - pt Atkinson and back . Not even a sniff on the regular coho gear, hoards of pinks everywhere though. Last ditch effort I bounced bottom for the last 30 mins of the evening with a oil slick hoochie in 90 feet of water off ambleside and got hammered hard , pin popped , but before I knew it fish was gone, still a gorgeous night on the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back