2013 Tuna adventures

Birdsnest said he would be on plane by 4:45 so we launched earlier to try to meet the Tuff city boats out there.

We drove and drove and drove trying to find the warm water. We hit the Louden and it was still under 57. Tidal Chaos kept going for awhile until they had enough and decided to start fishing (smart move on their part). Firelight and I kept going trying to find the other boats. The water temp started to rise painfully slow. It seemed like forever and we were getting frustrated. It is times like these that you realize how big it is out there and how important data and intel are for this fishery. I was getting nervous about how the day would pan out, then we caught some conversation on the radio between the other boats. They were hitting them on green on green and mexi flags with quad hook ups to boot!!!

We decided it was wasting too much time trying to find the other boats (they were still a ways away) and we started fishing. The temp was right around 59 so good to go.

We're fishing.

Right off the bat we had a double on the hand lines.

We hit a few on the rod's soon after. The three rod caught fish were all good sized fish and one of them almost kicked my azz lol. First tuna I have had come to the boat then decide to bugger off again big time. It was a hoot. The new Accurate reel and Shimano rod setups I bought worked awesome and I am very pleased with the set up.

Slush bucket.

Continued...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Having firelight as a fishing partner is awesome. The guy knows what to do and when to do it. He's on the ball but knows how to have fun at the same time (just ask Tidal Chaos about the ice lol). It makes the whole day go smoothly and makes it all the more enjoyable. Cheers buddy.

Whackin' and stackin'.

Things slowed down quite a bit in the area we were in and we heard Tidal Chaos and his crew were still picking up doubles on the dive boards and Zuker brooms in zucchini color. We decided to run and gun down to where they were.

I am now a firm believer in the dive boards. Here is fire light showing the results.

Here is a short vid of the results on the other side (click the pic to start).

Here is a shot of the only boat we actually fished along side. It was pretty sporty conditions out there lol..

Congrats big time guys. Welcome to the dark side bwahaha :D.

Pulling the pin and emptying the slush bucket.

Back at camp with the fish laid out ready to transfer into the trucks. We went 10 for 10 and didn't lose a single fish. We were quite happy with our catch. It's all about the adventure and experience for us. Notice how firelight is smiling all the time. I hear you get that from tuna fishing and it takes days for it to go away :).

A big shout out to firelight, Tidal Chaos, and crew. Thank you for all your help around the lot. It was greatly appreciated. Till next time. We'll leave the fire on for ya.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Nice work boys. I was with you guys in spirit.

Can't wait to get out for the Longfins myself

Well; slowly getting photo's in from the crew and will try to post as they arrive; here is a photo of our longfin's from Sunday!

Attachments

• Tuna 15.JPG
    Tuna 15.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 580
Having firelight as a fishing partner is awesome. The guy knows what to do and when to do it. He's on the ball but knows how to have fun at the same time (just ask Tidal Chaos about the ice lol). It makes the whole day go smoothly and makes it all the more enjoyable. Cheers buddy.

Yah we weren't expecting a one sided snowball fight out in the middle of Lake Pacific; but it made it a new experience for us! Next time we ask to borrow some ice we will have to make sure we have some ammo for the return fire! Thanks again for the awesome time; and we will do it again real soon; talked to the boys last night about our next trip and they want to go when our schedules permit; Labour Day Long weekend maybe! Hint Hint!

well John you make it pretty easy with your tuna rigging set up, the boat is geared up better than the Starship Enterprise, ice up the ying yang and anything you need is ready at hand.

you really turned it up to 11 man,

thanks John it was great, next time the stars align...............

Congrats big time guys. Welcome to the dark side bwahaha. Thanks you guys It couldnt have been any better there looseing our verginity and maxin out the ice on the boat all in one day !!!! and yes I want to do it again and the wife wants me to do it more as well :cool:

Nice work boys. I am dying a little inside not having had a chance yet!!! Looks like you take great care of the fish John. So worth it.

I think the best way to get started may be to attend the tuna shootout for the week. You can spend a week there talking and learning about how to do it and then you can go out with many boats. I do not know if the shootout is an official learning circle either so best to contact them about the event.

It is about learning and safety in numbers. There is a 'how to seminar' on the first night put on by QCove and featuring forum member Blackvelvet...

Jeff

Nice work boys. I am dying a little inside not having had a chance yet!!! Looks like you take great care of the fish John. So worth it.

Yeah, me too Jeff but we gotta look after our clients before we can play! See you out there soon!

Looks like another 3 days of tuna weather friday saturday and sunday! Anyone going out of ukee or tuff?

Fishing out of Bam Friday. If the chloro doesn't clean up in Nitinat or Barkley we will be running to Loudoun me thinks.

Ya, looks like loudoun, father charles and clayoquot have the good/ok chloro. best be going to those areas. Sport boats have been hammering them there for the last three days. I know one boat got 37 in 4 hours yesterday and the first octuple header I ever heard of. SICK

Ya, looks like loudoun, father charles and clayoquot have the good/ok chloro. best be going to those areas. Sport boats have been hammering them there for the last three days. I know one boat got 37 in 4 hours yesterday and the first octuple header I ever heard of. SICK

Octuple header!!!! :eek:. That takes the Chinese fire drill to a whole new level lol :D.

Back