2013 Tuna adventures

4 boats out. 2 from ukee and 2 from tofino. Between all 4 boats I think close to 70 tunas. Great Day out there with glassy conditions most of the time. Big dive board day. Dont leave the beach without the diveboards! Green was the colour of the day. First hook up of the day was a quintuple header on a boat out of Tofino. I had one Quad.
Cant wait to see the others reports and tuna ****.

good job boyz just talked to John he said u had a wicked day and heard a couple cherrys were poped
way to get em..

Ya some cherries were popped; 3 to be exact; stellar first trip for me and my crew; morning started at 3:30 out of Sculpins lot and on the water by 4:20; slow run out to the 4000' drop to find the warm water; ran around for another hour in and out of the 57 degree water but had to work our way west towards the Tuff boats; thanks to Birdsnest for pointing us in the right direction; we dropped our lines just west of Loudon and started trolling towards Clayquot Canyon while Sculpin ran west for a another 5 miles or so looking for warmer waters; we trolled around for about 45 min and fish on; gotter to the boat and tryed to whip it in and pop; rookie mistake I guess; took us another 4 lost albies to get our s%^t together and land the first one around 20 lbs; after that we continued west and took on another 6 fish in the next couple hours and then got into a school that just wouldn't hook up, kept smashing our lures and we just watched in aw as they continued hitting our splash boats and hand lines but would be gone as quick as they were there; things slowed down after that and we continued to pick up 1 here and 1 there, just continued working the same 1 mile tack W and E; then we started getting multiple hook ups; what a gong show with guys that are figuring things out as we went; had some coaching from Sculpin but when put to the test; complete gong show. Started running out of ice at 12:30 and decided on a 10 fish limit; but then we picked up a double; decided that was going to be it; started trolling towards Ukee and pulling in the hand lines; those albies had other ideas for us; another double on the port side; brought to the boat; left the rods up; started back on retrieving our gear; fish on; crap here we go again; this fish did not want to come to the boat; full drap on the avet and it wasn't stopping; 400 yds behind the boat it hit the surface and the fight was on; of course when you are out of ice and not really caring if you maybe lost this one; that fish kept us busy for 15 min and just wanted to come aboard and we helped it out. Total fish in the boat was 15 for the day; not bad for a crew that lost the first 5 but we redeemed ourselves, with a quick call to Sculpin; we topped up on ice and headed for the beach!

I would like to thank Sculpin for his hospitality at his place at Salmon Beach and his info and help to get us on the fish; and Birdsnest for the intel to get us in the right area, good time with some new and good friends. We are hooked on this fishery; and with the cherries popped in such a way that we can't not do this again, we would have been happy with 3 fish and this just clinched the deal for us!

I will let Sculpin fill in the rest as my brother in-law has all the pics; once I have then I will try and post; but we do have witnesses for any doubters! LOL

See you all at the shoot-out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you did petty good for tuna newcomers.. ten tasty tuna's is a pretty good haul fist time out no? Looks like a fun fishery.. Gotta love the Albacore! Nice work!

kept smashing our lures and we just watched in aw as they continued hitting our splash boats and hand lines but would be gone as quick as they were there;
This is interesting. The tuna where hitting your splash boats? Or the lures? Also are you using single hooks? You guys were really into them good. That was a good school you were on. My total for the day with an experienced crew was 17. I had some setbacks during the day with my "research rigs" and mola mola hook ups. I wrote this earlier today for posting. Pics to follow tonight. It was awesome to have other boats out there, it just makes it so much better for everyone out there on so many levels. Thanks everyone. Also got buzzed really well by the coastal patrol aircraft "speed air". I like airplanes.

Tuna Trip Aug 11, 2013
My trip starts of at 4:45 am departure from Tofino. My buddy in his boat has a half hour head start on us. It is hard to travel in the dark so we are only doing 19 kn for the first hour. Once there is a bit of light out we can bump the speed up to 21 kn and slow down for the odd bigger bump. We arrive in the center of the ammo dump circle at 7:40 is and the water is only 13.5 C but it looks clear and we cant wait to start fishing. I have not heard from Sculpin yet so I am a little concerned but he has a buddy boats out of Ukee so I hope he is on 78 and I will hear him soon.
About an hour of trolling and I hear my buddy boat has a sextuple header so I am pumped and he is only a mile away and soon we start getting singles. Today’s color is green.
I wanted to try some different ideas today and one of them was the two clone rig where there are 2 clones on the line 20 inches apart but only the back one has a hook. I didn’t really work but for once and that one time was enough for me to take all those rigs out of the water because it was a foul hooked tuna that escaped after a half hour battle. I have never foul hooked a tuna so I suspect that it took a swipe at the larger clone in front with no hook and took the hook from the back one in the side, three quarters back. This happened on a double header and we though maybe something unique was on the line but it was mentioned halfway through the battle that a foul hooking was a possibility and that was the case.
I had the dream crew with me on this trip. One fella has done these trips 6 times already and brings amazing camera equipment(he’s a whale watching guide) and know how to fish. The other fellow really knows how to fish salmon and halies. BOTH guys own there own boats so they are just all around good to have out there. They both like to get’em to so they will check lines for weeds all day which make a huge difference. But they are smart too and catch on quick. It wasn’t long before they were handing off the rods/reel combo hookups and I had to call BS on them and tell them that I know the hand lines are way more fun but the rods and reels are part of the game so suck it up and reel that darn tuna in. LOL
It was one guys first tuna trip so me and the whale watching guide were showing him all the cool off shore stuff. We stopped on the way out to be with a group of Dalls porpus which was amazing and while we were trolling we would go close to the sun fish when we saw them to show him. The sunfish that are out there now are the largest I have ever seen. Its hard to say but out of the five I saw I bet they were all between 4 to 6 hundred pound. Anyway we turned on one and slowed right down to look at it and in dove a but and we looked at it but it came up and one of our rigs hooked it in the back. We saw it happening and knew that it was a 50 50 chance that it would get the hooks when when the zuker bounced over its back and that’s what happened. I was a bit pissed because I just didn’t want that to happen. It thrashed on the surface for a minute and then it just dove and just before it spooled us the hooks came out. Note to self “keep the gear away from the sun fish”.
Other than that it was a great trip. It was so nice to have other boats out there even though there were fish all over the place. I never even saw the boats out of ukee because they found em and so did we. There was some time where it was slow and I considered running south 14 miles to get in on the action at father Charles canyon but then we would find them again.
The warmest water we found was 14.4 C and the first part of the day we were in dark green emerald water. It was clear but not blue. Later we found bluer water but IMO it was not premium but it was very clear and a bit warmer. Its really hard to tell the color of the water unless the sun comes out but one of the guys pointed out if you lean over the outside edge of the boat and look down along the hull so see under the boat you get a better idea of the color. I prefer the dark blue water.

I cant wait to get out there. Keeping my fingers crossed...sounds like if all the conditions are right, you get into the action.

Birdie

We had a few in a school swim right part the lures on the splash boats and hammer the boat itself and then they would role back and hit the lure go for a short run and be gone as quick as we saw them come up behind the rig. I don't know if maybe they were hitting the head on the clone and missing the hooks but yes we were running singles on the PMO's; we still were getting fish to the boat on 10/O singles but we also noticed that if we put too much pressure on the fish at the boat the singles were splitting there jaws and we were basically tearing there mouths in half; so we started to change our hooks over to the doubles! The splash boats are ones that we copied from yours that Sculpin has and are painted completely white and the rigging is tied with Tuna chord with big swivels; maybe the commotion of the cord and swivels was attracting them too the boats; but we ended up landing 5 on the boats and the rest were on the dive boards with Zucchini brooms!

On the way in we noticed that the warm water was well up onto big bank; 2-3 miles in and we were seeing schools of tuna on the surface up on the bank; lots of whales too; had one come up about 30' from the boat and give us a big tail thrash as we went over probably his tail within about 10'; good thing we were doing 25 kns or we would have gotten a good smack from it!

Attachments

• Tuna.jpg
    Tuna.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 486
  • Yves Tuna.jpg
    Yves Tuna.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 496
  • Sculpin.jpg
    Sculpin.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 501
The Mustad barbless double hooks seem to hold better than anything I've seen. They are super sharp and always see to set deep. We missed a few hits last year on the outriggers using barbed singles and even a barbed trebble. never missed a single hit after going to all barbless doubles.

Ya, I tied a bunch of flies for tuna 5 or so years ago and the tuna were hammering them but many got off because of the single hooks. I only use the doubles now. We also saw tuna on the trip back in the green water. Not uncommon but the fishing is always better in the blue water. I had one of my flies down on the dive board this trip and it got hit all day.

Ya, I tied a bunch of flies for tuna 5 or so years ago and the tuna were hammering them but many got off because of the single hooks. I only use the doubles now. We also saw tuna on the trip back in the green water. Not uncommon but the fishing is always better in the blue water. I had one of my flies down on the dive board this trip and it got hit all day.

We didn't see alot of green water; only on the way out in the morning for maybe a mile and then into the blue; the blue water was right up on the bank and the temp was up as high as 59.4F, it must have pushed in with the tide as on the way out it was 54f most of the way out; until we made the turn towards where you guys were fishing.

When John and I were in fueling up and grabing ice at Neptune; they were telling us how the tuna fleet were getting fish 7 miles off the Rats Nose as well as getting up to 200 pcs a day; way to get us fired up; as well as giving John a super deal on ice!

So... wondering if you guys could help me out. Couple questions:

For an ambitious rookie tuna trip scheduled for early september of this year, which would be the best location? (i.e. where we could find favourable water for tuna the closest to land). Our options are quatsino (leaving from winter harbour), nootka sound or bamfield.

We are currently setup for salmon and halibut - what rods and gear should we troll with? Salmon or halibut gear? If trolling at 6-8 knots, how far back should the lures be?

Once in the zone (60 degree blue water) what are the signs we should be looking for to start fishing?

Safety is paramount to us so any tips re: weather and things to look out for would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

You don't waste any time do you! We just got thru dealing with ours. Looks good and I am sure tasty. Good work!

For an ambitious rookie tuna trip scheduled for early september of this year, which would be the best location? (i.e. where we could find favourable water for tuna the closest to land). Our options are quatsino (leaving from winter harbour), nootka sound or bamfield.

We are currently setup for salmon and halibut - what rods and gear should we troll with? Salmon or halibut gear? If trolling at 6-8 knots, how far back should the lures be?

Once in the zone (60 degree blue water) what are the signs we should be looking for to start fishing?

Safety is paramount to us so any tips re: weather and things to look out for would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

You are going to need to do searches on here, Bloody Decks, and Ifish.net and read for 10-100 hours. Or assuming you have Hali rods and reels and the right boat and safety gear go fart around with some big hootchies and get a taste before investing in all the proper gear.

I think the best way to get started may be to attend the tuna shootout for the week. You can spend a week there talking and learning about how to do it and then you can go out with many boats. I do not know if the shootout is an official learning circle either so best to contact them about the event.

Kicking off the season

Had a great day on the water. Most of the day has been already covered and posted very well by others out there that day. I'll stick to mostly pictures for this post. I want to comment on the character of firelight, Tidal Chaos, his brother in law, and his buddy. Total stand up guys for sure.

I had some bad news Saturday night. I knew it was coming, dreaded the call, and it came. My father in law passed away that evening. Without getting into the details, I decided to keep to the plan and I dedicated the trip to him. I know he would have wanted me to go fishing and it was a great way for me to think about him and grieve in my own way.

On Saturday afternoon we headed in to Ukee to fuel up and ice down the boat (did you get that Pippen?:p). I like using Neptune Ice as they are reasonable and accommodating.

After we got back Tidal Chaos helped out by tuning up my fire ring. Thanks again man.

After dinner we got the boat finalized and tweaked some tackle etc.

Here is firelight re-spooling one of the Avets. There was lot's of excitement in the air.

Continued.............

Back