2013 Tuna adventures

And Tues/Wed is shaping up to be even better. At present, my plans are for a Tues AM departure from Neah Bay with a Wed AM return. We'll fish tuna in the afternoon/evening, cook a late dinner on the barbie on the boat and hang out and watch the meteors while we jig some bait, try to catch to squid and maybe jig a bit in the dark with a lighted lure. From what I've read, tuna actually spend much more of their time at or near the surface at night than during the day. It might be fun to drag some glow lures around at night to see what we can catch. Again, if anyone wants to buddy boat at Nitinat canyon O/N, let me know.
I would suggest some LED's in the night fishing lures-if glow is good-actual light is waaaaaay better. Not hard to adapt some of your tuna lures I've seen.

I would suggest some LED's in the night fishing lures-if glow is good-actual light is waaaaaay better. Not hard to adapt some of your tuna lures I've seen.
I have a few of the LED's but am concerned that if I stick them in a large clone a tuna will crush them and break the lamp. The nightglow lures this guy has on his page- http://www.albacoretuna.org/ (scroll down aways) look interesting and easy enough to put together.

I have a few of the LED's but am concerned that if I stick them in a large clone a tuna will crush them and break the lamp. The nightglow lures this guy has on his page- http://www.albacoretuna.org/ (scroll down aways) look interesting and easy enough to put together.
Wouldn't worry about it' I've had numerous large salmon, dorado and a 50 lb yellow tail on them-haven't had a crush yet-I use Pirates Den stuff-can't comment on any others-haven't tried them.

Temps and chloro looking pretty good. Good luck to those that get out this weekend, alas I have to work to pay for next weeks trip.

Cheers,

Jealous as this first stint doesn't work for me but if weather holds am out next Thurs/Fri for sure.

Good luck those that get out there!!

I sure hope somebody has or will give it a whirl out of Kyuquot or Winter Harbour. Sure looks good up there right now and a lot shorter run than we face down here. If I had time I would tow the boat up there lol:D.

Still shooting for Sunday. Tidal Chaos and his crew are showing up at da Beach on Saturday afternoon. Plan on heading out around 4:00 am on Sunday morn. Meeting Birdsnest out there. Should be a pretty cool adventure for sure:p.

Jealous as this first stint doesn't work for me but if weather holds am out next Thurs/Fri for sure.

Good luck those that get out there!!

Osama,

I have a crew for Friday, we will be headed down Thursday evening. Keep in touch, if the weather holds we should head out together.

Cheers,

I am so excited!!! I can taste it. 3 good days in the forecast coming up.

Any one know how to get that tuna stench out of clothes?. I think I am going to be a mess after this stint!

I am so excited!!!

Understatement lol!!!!:D. Firelight and myself are just leaving town and headed for da Beach. See you in the morning sometime. We will be building a roof but give me a call first to make sure we haven't gone on a material run to Ukee.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so excited!!! I can taste it. 3 good days in the forecast coming up.

Any one know how to get that tuna stench out of clothes?. I think I am going to be a mess after this stint!
Burning is one option. You could also fish naked and not have the problem in the first place ;-).

Monday, Tues and Wed all look great. I'll be out on Tue-Wed. and can't wait. Maybe this is the year I start to get a few on jigs or chunk bait.

Burning is one option. You could also fish naked and not have the problem in the first place ;-).

Monday, Tues and Wed all look great. I'll be out on Tue-Wed. and can't wait. Maybe this is the year I start to get a few on jigs or chunk bait.

We have 20 lbs of herring that we are going to cut up and try the chunk thing. We have swim baits, jigs, irons, and bare hooks (for chunks) ready as well. Hopefully we can pull off a slide of some kind. Going to give it a whirl :).

I wonder if one boat gets the schools attention with chunks if another boat can pull up and join in. Could it be a "more the merrier" situation? It may help keep them close. I am also looking forward to getting some black cod with my new dwalt drill auto reel thingy I made for fishing 600 feet of water.

Throw in another 20 pds of herring to that slide, if we find them I think there will be so much variety of gear they will frenzy. See you guys tomorrow early afternoon, the excitement is building.

I sure hope somebody has or will give it a whirl out of Kyuquot or Winter Harbour. Sure looks good up there right now and a lot shorter run than we face down here. If I had time I would tow the boat up there lol:D.

My Commercial Boat Buddies are rolling them over pretty fast now. Quite a few hitting and returning from the very area you mention. They note that the fish are MUCH closer up that direction than they are down here ;)

Best Of Luck to all In The Game this weekend!! :D

Cheers,
Nog

I wonder if one boat gets the schools attention with chunks if another boat can pull up and join in. Could it be a "more the merrier" situation? It may help keep them close.
Definitely the more the merrier for chunking. Just try to feed them just enough to keep them in the area but not run out of bait. If you do run low on herring I would start cutting up tuna guts (you can recycle the chunks in the stomach of fish you just caught!) or even sacrifice the smaller tuna as bait. A good pair of sharp scissors is faster and safer to use than a knife when cutting chunks on the run too.

just curious what kind of depths are you working in when 60 miles off shore? are you able to anchor or are you drifting when chunking? I imagine drifting and chunking would work best if your drifting the same direction as the tidal current....
also curious on how your insured when 60+ miles offshore. looking at my policy it's only good as far as 20 miles offshore. do you get a clause in your insurance and pay a higher premium? or should I be looking at a difference insurance broker?
hope this isn't a derailment of the thread. can pm me if preferred...
thxs,
bigdogeh.

I've been refreshing my browser every minute for the last 2 hours waiting for an update from Sculpin or Birdsnest... don't leave a brother hangin' here!

Back