2013 Sproat Lake Loggers Derby

pretty chitty for me in a open boat lol ,only fished 2 .5 hrs all day ,
WET is a understatement , suppose ta be much better tmrw , clearing now ,
steaks are red , beer is cold , crown for desert : )
crab n prawn feast was killer...ya shoulda bin here Danny , gonna be fun day tmrw ,
Millz boyz comin by the trailer park tmrw too lol......

all gd ,

fd

Sunday morning and not a cloud in the sky. Beautiful flat water. We've heard of few fish being caught around bamfield and a few good fish have been weighed in with the leader above 20lbs. Hoping some fish come our way to compliment this day. Got enough crab and prawn for dinner but the shellfishing for us and others we've spoke to has been anything but good. Hear reports at the end of the VHF of some traps going missing off the wall. I suffered the same fate with one of my traps being taken. I'd like to say it was current but it was the top trap on my string and it is a commercially rigged trap. It ain't going anywhere unless someone clips it of the line. All pots stayed put but one string came up without the top trap. Thanks to whoever has my brand new trap and likely a couple others from the same area and time.

The derby itself has been well attended with high spirits to combat yesterdays atrocious weather. Good luck to all who are out now.

Sunday morning and not a cloud in the sky. Beautiful flat water. We've heard of few fish being caught around bamfield and a few good fish have been weighed in with the leader above 20lbs. Hoping some fish come our way to compliment this day. Got enough crab and prawn for dinner but the shellfishing for us and others we've spoke to has been anything but good. Hear reports at the end of the VHF of some traps going missing off the wall. I suffered the same fate with one of my traps being taken. I'd like to say it was current but it was the top trap on my string and it is a commercially rigged trap. It ain't going anywhere unless someone clips it of the line. All pots stayed put but one string came up without the top trap. Thanks to whoever has my brand new trap and likely a couple others from the same area and time.

The derby itself has been well attended with high spirits to combat yesterdays atrocious weather. Good luck to all who are out now.

Good luck. Hows John's head this morning? lol

Shaken but not stirred LOL. Heading home, great get together at the Nook during weigh in. No fish for us but the winner was a tank at 26 lbs. With 2nd around 20lbs I think. Thanks to all who organize this great event. A good way to start the season!

Cheers

Had a great weekend with buddies. Just got the boat all tucked away and downloading tons of pic's to photobucket. Should I post them on this thread or start a new one? I was thinking of starting a 2013 Loggers Derby photo dump thread in the saltwater section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to here you made it back safe and sound...
I vote - post your pics on this thread
GLG

Glad to here you made it back safe and sound...
I vote - post your pics on this thread
GLG

Thanks GLG. I will post the pic's here for sure. Just about done. Just editing a few of them. What a great time. No political stuff and tons of fun.

Just got back from the Derby weekend. We headed out from China Creek on Friday - uglee weather and we got soaked, even in cruiser suits. Got to Poett Nook and dropped the prawn traps. Spent the evening trying to dry out and warm up. Saturday morning was a bit better than Friday, weather wise so we headed to Swale. Fished there for about four hours with nothing to show but shakers. We saw one small fish boated but that was it. Moved back over to Yankee Bay and trolled down past Sarita with some success - two small springs but certainy not worthy of weighing-in. They liked the green glow hootchies and green/glow 4" spoons and glow flashers. Action was around 140 feet. Bait was a waste of time for us. We hauled our traps before dark and were delighted with a good haul of prawns for supper.

Today (Sunday), in contrast to Friday and Saturday, was a gorgeous, sunny day. We fished the east side of Tzartus Island and again pulled in shakers and two small springs, which we released. We hauled our traps before noon and had another great haul of prawns (Bauer traps, Carlisle cat food and pellets, mixed). We got into the Nook in time for the prizes - a 26#, a 21# and a 17# fish won the top 3 prizes. There was a big crowd to congratulate the top rods of the weekend. Almost everyone got a consolation prize - I got a nice hoodie to commemorate the 25th Derby! We headed back to China Creek, shepherding a buddy that was having some engine issues, under sunshine and on calm waters - like a spring day. At the launch, Sculpin came over to say "Hi". I'm really looking forward to seeing some of his pictures from the weekend. All in all it was a great way to start the season. Many thanks to the Nook and to the organizers for a fun weekend!

First time entrant posting. I am not a derby fisherman per say but this one changed my mind for sure. Thank you to all the organizers and sponsors that make this such a great event. What an awesome way to kick off the season. I had a great time with some buddies out on the water. This is what it is all about.

I took a ton of pictures and this may take a while, so bear with me lol.

On the way out the canal had lot's of wood and we had to keep our eyes peeled big time. The conditions were exactly as FD posted. Major rain and wind on Friday afternoon and evening.

It was pouring water out of every mountain side on the way out.

IMG_3997_zps277f8d80.jpg

Loaded up for the weekend. Ready for anything.

IMG_4000_zps5ef219ca.jpg

FB hamming it up upon arrival to Imperial Eagle Lodge. He booked this for the weekend and it turned out to be the best thing ever !!! A warm cabin to hide in and dry out clothes etc.. It was the calling card for sure.

IMG_4005_zps7a8eb924.jpg

The driveway was literally a river on the walk up the hill lol.

IMG_4008_zps723ccdf0.jpg

The fellas outside the cabin. They are looking pretty happy to have a nice place to dry out.

IMG_4014_zps026d0f4d.jpg

Continued.....

FB was pretty excited about the whole trip and wanted to go troll around the entrance to Bamfield that evening. I said sure why not, and we all headed out for a while. We were already soaked so what the heck.

FB and firelight chatting after the gear was delpoyed.

IMG_4017_zps38c1e635.jpg

Trendsetter and FB saying cheers to everyone.

IMG_4020_zpsd45b94c7.jpg

A short vid.

Firelight steering the boat in the dark.

IMG_4024_zps0c5962f5.jpg

Watching the hockey game in a nice warm cabin. Priceless lol.

IMG_4030_zpsa29a06ac.jpg

Continued....

Headed out fishing in the rain on Saturday.

Some guy's I tell ya................

IMG_4044_zps7bd200cf.jpg

IMG_4045_zpsafd75bff.jpg

We fished Kirby and area for the morning and picked up a few shakers and some rock fish. We saw albernifisher and his wife out there and trolled around with them for awhile.

Albernifisher and his wife out fishing.

IMG_4042_zps0c87d9d8.jpg

Trendsetter with a derby winner lol.

IMG_4047_zps613b3029.jpg

The fellas manning the rods.

IMG_4055_zpse88a0a24.jpg

Albernifisher again.

IMG_4059_zps194522ca.jpg

What a gorgeous area to fish. Such a privilege for sure.

Continued.....

We decided to head over and check our prawn traps that we set just East of the Wall. Firelight bought one of those hands free units for his Ace Brutus puller at PNT on the way up. We got to try it out.

IMG_4050_zps7f4db73f.jpg

The results.

IMG_4068_zps64bccc13.jpg

(On a side note we had a bad experience with our traps in that one went missing from a string. We heard on the radio that a couple of other folks had traps go missing as well. Very disturbing and it almost ruined FB's trip as they were his traps).

We headed to our crabbing spot and did ok. We got a feed for the 4 of us for sure.

Hmmmm............interesting crab bait lol!!!

IMG_4062_zps8b1957a3.jpg

Sunset on Saturday evening out on the water. Awesome stuff.

IMG_4066_zps21596cd8.jpg

Continued.....

Sunday morning was a little chilly. The boat was iced up a bit. We actually ran out of diesel for the heater the day before and tried to get some from McKay's. I managed to wrangle some up from Don at Imperial Eagle Lodge. It was a life saver for sure (they guy's all say I'm a wuss now that I have a good heater in the boat). They didn't seem to complain that the window's were clear due to the heater and the new wiper's I had installed previous to the trip. We left the harbor with full vision and were toasty warm on the way to the fishing grounds.

An iced up Sculpin.

IMG_4070_zps0aa5db03.jpg

The run out to Kirby.

IMG_4076_zps0f866d8b.jpg

We're fishing.

IMG_4081_zps51c94311.jpg

Freaking gorgeous area.

IMG_4083_zpsc5ef0385.jpg

Continued...

Same thing on Sunday as Saturday. Just some shakers for us. We saw lot's on the sounder but no go with anything that would take what we had out.

The guy's were happy being out on the water that's for sure. (I managed not to become a MOB while taking the shot lol!)

IMG_4090_zpse22c149d.jpg

We fished a bit in the morning with albernifisher again. He pulled the plug and headed over to the Wall and picked up a 12 lber over there for the day.

Albernifisher heading for the wall.

IMG_4096_zps93268e23.jpg

We decided to pull up and head to Flemming for the late morning minor.

There was a couple of boats over there to start and we did the full run with the loop in the bay. We saw Reel Loco out there.

IMG_4104_zps222bb9bf.jpg

We had one decent hit and a fish on but lost it. The eagles sure liked us as we ditched the chovies out the back.

IMG_4109_zps29869a4a.jpg

Continued.....

We headed back to the cabin to load up the boat and checked out. We made it a bit late to the ceremonies but were told by buddies that our names were not called yet. OBH was there with Ger Bear. Talked with quite a few folks and was really impressed with the turn out.

A shot from the dock.

IMG_4110_zpsad4b8832.jpg

Talked with a couple of forum members after picking up my Birk's Inter-Truck hat. Thanks Birk's and everyone else for sponsoring the event. It was really cool to see so many folks there. Lot's of great prizes. Name draw only. First come first serve kind of thing. Lot's of free booze and everyone walks away with something. Not bad for 20 bucks entry and good times with buddies out on the water.

Ran it hard on the way back in and passed Foxsea on the canal. I did stop and talk to him for a bit at the boat launch at China Creek. Nice meeting you Jim big time. Hope to hook up again some time.

IMG_4114_zps1f98545f.jpg

All in all a great trip. Major stress reliever from work, great time on the water with friends, and a start to maybe some more derbies for me :).

Hope you enjoyed the photo's and I hope others post up some more to keep this thread going...............

Hi all,
We had a great time, good to meet the folks we caught up with. Managed to get a couple springs largest keeper around 12~13Lbs got spoiled with the prawns and crab. Thanks a ton to the organizers and appreciate photo opp Sculpin we'll catch you for a pint next time for sure. Sunday afternoon was like a fine summer day what a way to top it off smoothest transit in memory back to port.

Back