2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

found fish between pinks and mouth .. lots room in 100' of water for yer 29er

Fished the mouth of the cap yesterday on possibly the calmest water this year, what a treat.
We managed to boat an 18lb white spring at noon. Witnessed around 10-12 others catch fish.

good fishing at the cap this morning for us. Went out from 10-noon for the first push of the flood and landed 4 springs and missed 2 others. Ended up keeping a 13 and 20 lb spring with the 13lber chrome and the 20lber quite discolored (my buddy insisted he wanted it). Released 2 other fish (7lb and 15lb) that looked like they had spent some time in the river. Only one chromer for us but great action for the 2 hours of fishing. Probably another 15 boats out there and we saw a few other boats playing fish though I think we were hooking into more than most... got lucky I guess. It also helped that the North River boat we saw out there fed a big seal just before we started hitting our fish. Hopefully you got another few shots out there as that seal was not letting go of that one.

All our fish were on chovies/teaser head at/near bottom. We fished one rod with a flasher and one without with 3 hits on each so no difference for us. Looks like the rain helped to get the fish congregating around the mouth. Hopefully some new chromers will move in soon.

good fishing at the cap this morning for us. Went out from 10-noon for the first push of the flood and landed 4 springs and missed 2 others. Ended up keeping a 13 and 20 lb spring with the 13lber chrome and the 20lber quite discolored (my buddy insisted he wanted it). Released 2 other fish (7lb and 15lb) that looked like they had spent some time in the river. Only one chromer for us but great action for the 2 hours of fishing. Probably another 15 boats out there and we saw a few other boats playing fish though I think we were hooking into more than most... got lucky I guess. It also helped that the North River boat we saw out there fed a big seal just before we started hitting our fish. Hopefully you got another few shots out there as that seal was not letting go of that one.

All our fish were on chovies/teaser head at/near bottom. We fished one rod with a flasher and one without with 3 hits on each so no difference for us. Looks like the rain helped to get the fish congregating around the mouth. Hopefully some new chromers will move in soon.

Good Report and Thanks , were they Reds or Whites ?

Thanks TC..... I just hope that I can get out this weekend, I needed one or two more the smoker!!!

All I can say is.....as a guide......I am SICK and TIRED of fishing the Cap....unfortunately......only 2 more months until it gets going again.....sigh

All I can say is.....as a guide......I am SICK and TIRED of fishing the Cap....unfortunately......only 2 more months until it gets going again.....sigh

I think that about says it all!

I was out this morning from 730-10. Lost one good size one right by the boat, but that is it. We were the only boat out there today without a roof over our heads. It was cold and wet.

It also helped that the North River boat we saw out there fed a big seal just before we started hitting our fish. Hopefully you got another few shots out there as that seal was not letting go of that one.QUOTE]

Thank you for your kind thought. I had one more take some time later, right by the pin when the tide was flooding at its hardest, which unfortunately led to my being in a collision with another boat (whose operator was similarly distracted putting-down gear I think). The fish was not remarkable a very brown jack of about 8lbs. Not a memorable day for me although I doubt I shall forget it!

Yup ... as a rec fisher, I was also officially Cap'ed out last weeked and didn't think once about heading out over the past week ... I did start the research into Webasto and Espar heaters in preparation for winter though!

Out at the Cap today 11am to 5pm. Only one other boat but not a touch with very little showing on the sounder either.:(

last one at the cap , please turn off the lights .... might be the end boys , until the winters arrive

Last edited by a moderator:
Take november off then join me late Dec out there for winters,
Definately my most favorite fishery and time of year

Out again today ay the Cap 2pm to 6pm. No takes for me whatsoever but a lot of bait showing on the sounder. There was maybe half a dozen other boats out but I saw no nets. Police boat active and it looked like one boat was ticketed under the bridge - I was next in line but scarpered!

From Bon Chovy today

October 18, 2012
Granville Island Fishing Charter Report, Oct 18th
Filed under: Uncategorized — Jason @ 8:32 pm
Well it looks like it is safe to say that our mature chinook fishery that we have enjoyed for the last 6 weeks off the Mouth of the Capilan River is over for another year. We had all 3 of our boats out this morning and we fished the last couple hours of the flood tide and the tide change. None of our boats had a hit. The rain that we had had earlier in the week brought the level of the Capilano River WAY up and it encouraged the majority of the fish that were staging to enter in the river. There may be the odd straggler, but unless we get a bump of fish and a dry spell, things are done!

Now we are going to switch gears and start getting ready for our winter chinook salmon, prawning, and crabbing season. The first winter chinook usually show up in Howe Sound in the beginning of November and Vancouver Harbour will start to get going in early December. We will be fishing Howe Sound tomorrow, so we will see if there are any early winter chinook up there yet. Some years they have shown up in fishable numbers in October.

For now, our Vancouver Fishing Charters will be a bit of a grind until the winter chinook salmon show up!

Tight lines

Jason and Jeff

Time to sleep in....yay!

Back