2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Had a great day on the water yesterday. Left Horseshoe Bay at 6:45 am, in the dark, headed for the cap to fish first light on a flood.The fishing was red hot between 8:30 til 10:00. It seems eveyone was playing a fish during the bite.Witnessed a tyee, boated beside us, while we netted an 11lb white spring.As you can see by the photo, lots of competition.

I think you got a pic of Jason getting a hummer in that 3rd pic lol
you should send that to the store
title it
"What we really do out there"

priceless:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I fished the Cap from 9:00 until about 1:00 PM. I saw about three fish landed. None for me. Sigh. I think I have a love-hate relationship with fishing in Vancouver.

The Salty Dawg boated three but the Sea Star had the same luck as I did which makes me feel better. I spoke to Andrew from the Sea Star who gave me some great pointers at the end of the day. He pulls his downrigger weights literally two feet up from the bottom in 80-100 feet of water and is usually successful. Maybe that was what I was doing wrong.

Salmon were jumping everywhere by the pink apartment. I tried the 13 foot depth in 20 feet of water but they just weren't biting.

It was beautiful to be out there today. Sunny, warm and flat calm. It has been an amazing October.

I think you got a pic of Jason getting a hummer in that 3rd pic lol
you should send that to the store
title it
"What we really do out there"

priceless:D

OMG, I think you're right !!! If only I'd brought a longer lens with me that day. I could have used that pic to extort a few free trips out of PA.
Good eye Hookin 'up.

Fished west van yesterday, 8:00AM to sunset. Nothing for me all day other than 2 small springs about 2lbs each. Then finally around 5:30pm hit one hatch coho off the pink apartments.

Jumpers everywhere all day long but very, very few hook ups. Saw a couple boated over by the cap mouth in the morning. 50 boats out there at least.

Fished out off delta port today from 12-3:30, released two ho's, one wild one under, and kept a nice 6-7 lb hatch. Was beauty out there, 3 other boats out. All on chovys w/ cop car flasher.

Fished Saturday from first light to 7:30pm. Lost 1 fish. That's all I had all day. Mainly mouth of the Cap to pink apartment. Then fished Monday, same area, from 8-2:30pm. Once again, I got nothing. Tough weekend for me. Saw fish caught on Monday, but just couldn't hook up. Was fishing a herring with no flasher right off the bottom on one side, and an anchovie with a flasher off the other side. Varied the depths with that one. Same set up as another guy out there. He got 2 in the am and then lost a big spring beside the boat around noon. Don't know what I was doing wrong. Hopefully next time out I'll get something. This is only my first year at saltwater fishing. Getting really frustrated. I'm a stillwater flyfisherman who's used to getting lots of fish, all the time. So this getting skunked thing really sucks. Not used to it at all.

Was out for a few hours each of Saturday, Sunday and Monday a.m.

There was a good bite first thing Saturday a.m. ... was out on my own and hooked a 14lb at first light Saturday and then shortly after that I lost a 5 minute battle with Mr. Whiskers over a very nice fish ... that was then followed by two very solid hits, the second of which was an 18lb to call it a morning by 830am.

Sunday a.m. my better half and I had two good fish on that didn't stick, released 3 jacks and kept a 9lb spring.

Was back out on my own Monday a.m. and it was another gong show ... harbour patrol should have spent some time taking a few newbie boaters off of the water versus just guarding the line. Watched one cartopper hit another boat (helps to look forwards vs backwards!) and had another almost hit me. Ended up boxing a nice 22lb white spring and releasing 2 jacks.

Will be curious to hear if others picked up more jacks than they have in the past at this time of year. Was running anchovies behind a flasher right on bottom but, in hindsight, might have run herring without a flasher on Sunday and Monday to keep the smaller fish off.

I heard about the collision. At one point, I was following behind an older Hewes Sea Runner. This Campion 16' fishing machine was beside me on the inside. He decided he wanted to turn around and head back towards the Cap. He cut right between me and the boat in front. I had to put the boat in neutral to avoid hitting him. Almost put it in reverse, but he finally sped up a bit. His downrigger lines were well under my bow. I probably could have stepped from my bow on to his boat. I figured he was for sure going to snag my downrigger cable, but he didn't. I gave him a few choice words. Not even a word back from him. The Harbor Patrol boat was there the whole time I was there. He was not going to let anyone fish past the green can.

...Don't know what I was doing wrong. Hopefully next time out I'll get something. This is only my first year at saltwater fishing. Getting really frustrated. I'm a stillwater flyfisherman who's used to getting lots of fish, all the time. So this getting skunked thing really sucks. Not used to it at all.
Chris-you're not doing anything wrong-the late season fishery around here is the most frustrating ever and fishing close to Vancouver is almost always slow.

Bait on the bottom is what work best now you could try running it quite close to the wire or I've had 100' back of the wire work too.

FWIW-Yesterday there were lots of Coho on the flats off Spanish Banks with the flood tide-out for a bike ride and saw all kinds splashing.

Hey Chris, lots of coho out off delta port/sand heads(good mix of wild and hatch) Had plenty of success running just 1 rod at 20 feet dinking around in the old car topper with the girl on the flood tide. Also, not a gongshow trying to fish, until you get back to the causeway. One guy stuck off side of the launch , bitching about stealing each others crab traps etc.

Thanks you all for the tips and reports, finally my turn to contribute. I was out at the Cap mouth on Monday (it was a little busy) and fished for 4 hours in the morning until the high slack. Hooked up a 7lb hatchery Coho with a white hoochie with a green flasher with a 6 ft leader. Was running the gear at 80' in 90'. Had an anchovy on the other rod at a similar depth with no luck.

Don't know what I was doing wrong. Hopefully next time out I'll get something. This is only my first year at saltwater fishing. Getting really frustrated. I'm a stillwater flyfisherman who's used to getting lots of fish, all the time. So this getting skunked thing really sucks. Not used to it at all.

Hey Tulameen,

I was in the same position as you last year - a complete beginner on the salt. I still am really :eek:. I know just how frustrating it can be when the forum experts are catching all the time!!

Anyway I started a thread about my experiences, got lots of help and advice fromm fellow members here, and managed a few fish in the end. (I was after summer Chinook). Here it is - hope it provides some help although Sooke is a bit different from Vancouver/Cap.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...-in-Sooke-Englishman&highlight=Progress+Sooke

P.S. I was also asked to write an article about this experience for the Fish Tales section of this site, which you might appreciate as a fishing "journey" sort of story. It is here:-

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/fishtales.html#6

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. I'm slowly reading through it. Good info.

One question I have. It's regarding the brining of anchovies. I brined mine in a cup of rock salt to 1 liter of water. I let my anchovies soak overnight in the fridge. I didn't use them all, so I put them back in the freezer. Can I do this? They seem to work and not fall apart, but does it change something in the anchovie by refreezing it? I'm just thinking that by refreezing it, maybe it changes the scent or something and it's turning the fish off. If I don't use all the brined anchovies in a day of fishing, should I just throw them away?

I throw them away-you can refreeze/reuse them but the bellies blow out very easily.

(they're OK for Crab/Prawn bait though if they're crushed up)

Thanks for the link. I'm slowly reading through it. Good info.

One question I have. It's regarding the brining of anchovies. I brined mine in a cup of rock salt to 1 liter of water. I let my anchovies soak overnight in the fridge. I didn't use them all, so I put them back in the freezer. Can I do this? They seem to work and not fall apart, but does it change something in the anchovie by refreezing it? I'm just thinking that by refreezing it, maybe it changes the scent or something and it's turning the fish off. If I don't use all the brined anchovies in a day of fishing, should I just throw them away?

They can be reused to a point. I recently used the same chovies 3 trips in a row. Just popped them in the freezer again after every trip. They still work just tend to start falling apart and have to be replaced more often.

Ok sounds good. My buddy who owns a tackle shop said to just chuck them back in the freezer. But I was just curious if others do. Just trying to eliminate things as to why I'm not catching fish. Can I brine herring and anchovies in the same mixture, in the same container?

Tul, i reuse my chovies till a slab sucks them down their throat. After each trip now, i put them back into a plastic container full of rock salt and cover them in salt. Then into freezer when i get home. Obviously if they're falling apart they get chucked. I'd say ive increased the life span of my chovies by 50 percent following this method. The salt cures them. Makes them very tough, but, they soften once in the water. Other people follow other methods. I was taught this process by Spanish fisherman who've done it for centuries. Works for me.

Back